Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

lobster shirt posted:

he must have picked this up from daycare, my son has recently started doing the naruto run everywhere. im somewhat concerned he's gonna run into something but mostly it's just very funny.

my niece still does this, she started at like 14 months when she could barely run at all but every time she wanted to go fast, out went the arms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

struggling to think of any possible reason a kid who never leaves the basement needs with a cell phone.

to call for help, it would seem

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

KirbyKhan posted:

Toddler is saying "yaaaay" or "oooooh nyooo" alongside us and it is like getting empty quotes irl

haha this made me laugh out loud, my niece does this and i will now consider it as such

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

loquacius posted:

Our 2-year-old (almost 3 now) had gotten herself all hyped up to play with her baby brother and seems disappointed that he mostly seems interested in eating and sleeping and I wanna be like "honey he is literally one (1) day old, he doesn't know what a toy is yet and could neither focus his eyes on them nor navigate his hand to them even if he did" but she's 2 so there's not much point in explaining

My three year old niece is just like this with my eight day old niece. She grasps the concept as it is explained to her and is always very gentle with babb, and then forgets as soon as she is distracted. Over and over. Why is Baby so lazy? Not time for night night time to playyyy

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Elissimpark posted:

Chicken pox? In the year 2023?

Like, I hope they're okay and all, but how does one get chicken pox nowadays?

got some bad news about the state of the concept of public health

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

bitmap posted:

Whenever I would eat, like, the last of the ice cream after my daughter went to bed, wrongly betting on her forgetting about it, I would blame it on a burglar fox named "sneaky steve". If we were at a pub on a Sunday and she wanted another pack of crisps, it turned out to her dismay that sneaky steve had stolen the last of them from behind the bar. If she wanted to watch frozen right after having just watched frozen, sneaky steve had pilfered it from the server.

Recently snacks meant for her 1yo brother carelessly left within her reach have been going missing. Imagine my strange mixture of pride and concern when she smiles and tells me it must have been sneaky steve.

:owned: also lol smart kid

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
my niece is five months old and I've never seen a baby move so much. Never stops. Never cries, loves to smile and giggle at almost everything, but near literally never stops moving. Moves in her sleep. Damndest thing I've ever seen.

Hats off to parents, we've had her and her sister for 36 hours while my SIL/BIL are outta town and I'm already going insane

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I recently introduced video games to the kid and we now spend about 30-60 minutes most nights before bed playing Pajama Sam, SF6 World Tour, or Night in the Woods ("Cat Run Game," the first game she took notice of and still her favorite). They've been pretty amazing for developing her speech skills, I think mainly because they're great at getting & keeping her attention in an environment where it's easier to focus on the other person talking. She, and we, have been making huge strides and she's become so much more communicative everywhere else too.

The difference in her ability to take (and accept) direction is huge. Normally she doesn't want help, wants to figure everything out on her own, if you try to point anything out or guide her she rejects it and will get frustrated extremely easily and sometimes give up (but we've been working on it). I think the games help with her taking direction because the problem spaces are much more clearly outlined, and because the computer area is "my space" (more so than e.g. when we're playing elsewhere) she's much more receptive to my suggestions or directions.

The other day she specifically asked to play Bloodborne, so I was like sure thing, if you get scared, tell me and we'll stop okay? Not really concerned though because she's always loved monsters and had a high tolerance for spooky stuff, and this was no exception.

So she was like okay, and I set her up and mostly just let her do whatever, trying to guide her here and there. She ended up with a 7:1 KDR :hehe:

if anyone wants to watch 20 minutes of a 4yo playing BB: link

this is adorable :3: good for you

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

BonHair posted:

To be fair, being older and especially having a beard is considered Not Acceptable by babies also.

I dunno babies love my beard and can't stop lookin at me.

Favorite uncle status secured for at least three under three currently

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Chad Sexington posted:

I'd do the one-day thing if it were my kid. Nice middle of the road option.

I was in a gifted program in elementary school and all it did was solidify my poor study habits. Honestly not sure what the pot of gold was at the end of the rainbow unless there's magnet high schools or something? Only advantage I ever saw to being advanced in schools was qualifying for AP classes to save some money on general education stuff in college.

ya 100% what happened to me. The advanced reading instruction of my gifted program was good but that was when they used phonics instead of whatever batshit vibes-based poo poo they do now.

do the one-day thing as a trial but IMO immersion is... infinitely more valuable than a traditional "gifted" program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Vox Nihili posted:

there's like a 50/50 chance our kid got a mild case of Hand, foot, and mouth disease at this wretched daycare, holy poo poo EVERY DAY THERE IS A NEW AILMENT IN MY HOME

it's fine, everyone one of them is mild

you gotta live your life