Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My wife is pregnant with our second (we've had an ultrasound confirming a heartbeat and exactly one embryo, no more information at present) and has migraines and goddamn that is a very bad combination. All her usual meds are unsafe to take while pregnant.

Her doctor recommended a medication because it doesn't increase risk of miscarriage or defects, but, it's apparently a dopamine blocker and long-term use of it can cause brain damage and people have reported developing permanent facial tics from taking it like once and so instead she just took an Excedrin and is spending our 2-year-old's entire nap also napping and hopefully that helps because gently caress that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can somebody tell me how old Pete the Cat is supposed to be?

like, my mom got us a box set of them for my daughter's birthday and in one book he's on a world tour with his band and in another book he goes to the library for the first time. In another book he goes on a class trip to a firehouse, and they let him honk the horn on the fire truck, and then there's a fire, and they let him go with them to help put it out (nobody else in his class goes???) It feels like dream logic in a book

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pete the Cat sucks but I actually quite like Little Blue Truck (the holiday ones are phoned-in moneygrabs ofc)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Shockingly, the Pete the Cat tv show on prime is oddly watchable. Decent singing/music, the plots are actually kinda funny, fine lessons for kids.

MacheteZombie posted:

The show is infinitely better than the books.

have reported this to my wife and she said "there is nothing on earth that will make me actively seek out more pete the cat" which is also fair

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

There are certain books that one of our relatives get that we just think suck for various reasons (Pete the Cat is one of these), Corduroy is too loving long compared to every other bedtime book, Cocomelon rots your brain, etc, but the vast majority of stuff can be quietly retired if you don't like it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I always rec Precious Little Sleep as a sleep resource. We were able to sleep-train, as in teach our daughter to go to sleep, without having to Sleep-Train, as in sit there for hours while she screamed bloody murder.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also RE hair, our daughter is two and still has never had a haircut. Her hair is super curly (mine is too, but didn't actually get curly until college which is weird in retrospect) so it still only reaches shoulder-length or so when it's dry. My wife is really into curly-hair care now, she finds it novel I guess. She keeps talking about something called "the curly girl method"; I'm assuming it's a cult of some kind

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Really not looking forward to having to do the newborn phase again but the relief once it's over and I realize I never have to do it again will be p sweet

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My daughter still utterly refuses to sleep with a pillow or blanket; I have become convinced we are going to send her to college with a twin-xl-sized sleep sack

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If you have a young child, for many people the choice between a single-income and dual-income household is wholly aesthetic, because the parent that earns less will be making about as much money, total, as it costs to get the childcare necessary for a dual-income household.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Same with my wife -- we were planning to put our kid in daycare at 2 months old, but she used COVID as an excuse to not do that, and ended up much happier for about the same financial outcome.

(oh, plus she's a school counselor, hated remote-only counseling, and now has a very light-hours part-time job she can do during naps, so she gets to keep her resume continuous anyway)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I felt super weird dropping my 2-year-old off at Junior Preschool today so the idea of daycare all day err day at 2 months old seems to me like it would have been pretty tough in retrospect anyway. It's pretty hosed-up that a dual-income household is now basically necessary to make ends meet!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The second wave of feminism was entrusted to rich bougie libs to accomplish and to carry out its legacy, so now women can Have It All, IF they are rich enough to afford childcare, which most people aren't, so now they just have to Do It All instead.

I keep saying that the most feminist possible thing the government could do is institute universal pre-K and offer stipends to stay-at-home parents in exchange for not using the universal pre-K, because this really would give women ultimate freedom over their reproductive and career choices, but instead we have the neoliberal option, where you can't get childcare and also you won't be able to get an abortion in five years if you live in the wrong state

e: but it's okay because you see it's actually YOUR fault for not voting blue hard enough

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

can confirm that last week at Junior Preschool my kid contracted some sort of death cold (not COVID, we've been testing) and it has completely incapacitated her and my wife all week, and today when I brought her back like two-thirds of the class was still out sick

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

You'd really think ~~THE FREE MARKET~~ would have addressed this by now by subsidizing employee childcare like they did with healthcare, because they benefit if new parents keep working for them instead of quitting because they can't afford daycare

This would obviously also suck for the same reason employer-provided insurance sucks, it's just weird to me that there hasn't been an attempt at it yet

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

almost like the cruelty is the point or something? unbelievable I know

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

El Mero Mero posted:

This is actually considered an intended policy outcome for conservatives because they know that the parent who earns less is usually the woman and so it's an economic bludgeon to restore the Natural Order back into the Family.

Man you would think they'd try to make it economically feasible to actually support a family on one income in the long term then, oh wait just remembered who we're talking about nvm

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

We use Tinybeans, which basically is a private invite-only mini-social-media specifically for showing people pictures of kids without showing the whole world, and it has cross-platform and web interfaces too. My mom can use it so it must be pretty easy

Won't stop grandma and grandpa from posting their own pictures wherever they please of course

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I just asked my 2yo if she wants a little brother or sister (since barring complications she's getting one). Her response: "No, I want to drink milk while we play Banjo-Kazooie." Life is simple when you're two

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'll have to start emphasizing how the point of the whole adventure is to save Banjo's little sister, because he loves her very much

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Current save state is about halfway through Click Clock Wood autumn. Her favorite character seems to be Bottles, which is unfortunate because we ran out of moves to learn a long time ago

She was super bored by Rusty Bucket Bay, which is fair, so I hurried through that one, but is really into Click Clock Wood.

I'm definitely gonna have to do another pass through every Brentilda location before the quiz show, which I don't think her attention span will survive, but the quiz show itself should be good :)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Congrats! We just got our NIPT results back and it looks like we're having a boy for kid #2, no major risks for genetic diseases either. Psyched :)

Still gonna wait on telling people IRL until the ultrasound but that's tomorrow morning

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

First boy. As I understand it we should prepare to get peed on during diaper changes for a while lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

not really sure whether it's relevant to whether the kid pees when the diaper is off but I agree that it's not a conversation I wanna have here

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

We've put our daughter in a twice-a-week "junior preschool" for two-year-olds and she has started on the usual wave of illness, and on one occasion it also wrecked my pregnant wife for about a week, but so far no COVID (or so our tests claim)

I am the only person in my immediate family (meaning my parents and sister, not my wife and daughter) who has not yet contracted COVID-19

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I only know one person who actually died from COVID (my grandpa's assisted-living-home girlfriend) because most people I know are young and/or vaccinated all to hell and back

COVID indirectly killed my grandpa, in that he had been thriving due to his revived social life in the home, but suddenly couldn't act in musicals or host poker nights or anything anymore, and did not use computers or the Internet, meaning he had nothing to do but sit alone in his room and watch TV from sunup to sundown, and his girlfriend died so he didn't even have her for company, and my mom lives like two hours' drive away, so she could only visit a few times a week and even this was a huge strain on her, and he just kind of sat around and waited for dementia to consume him entirely. God, these last couple years have been hosed.

e: and he got to meet my daughter a few times when I drove back up to visit but she was terrified of him for some reason, and that didn't help either

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Right now I'm sick, which isn't fun, but last preschool cold I was the only one in the house who wasn't sick, which tbh isn't that fun either

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My dad was more of the "cold, distant, overstoic 20th-century man" type and I am trying to be the kind of dad who never says no to a request for attention or affection. Dunno how sustainable it is in the long term but our daughter has a HUGE daddy preference so I think it's going well so far

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Still don't really know how to talk to my dad and I teared up during his speech at my wedding because I'd never heard him say nice things about me before

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

can we get a kids halloween costume roundup

My daughter will be dressed up as a chef (or muffin man depending on whim) after backing out of a previous chicken costume commitment on account of the costume itself being completely horrifying to her for some reason

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sandtrout Catsuit posted:

My four-year-old is hostile to the concept of gender and age categories. She uses she/her for everyone, and there are three categories of people: kids, persons, and guys.

Yesterday she asked her dad "is Mama a person?" I overheard and told her "I'm a person! I have rights!" She thought for a moment and asked me "are you a union worker?"

We've been doing a lot of strike support this summer. Clearly it's made an impact.

Congratulations on raising the most C-SPAM child theoretically possible

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

it is a constant struggle to get my daughter to eat anything, even food she was vocally excited for five minutes ago

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cabbages and Kings posted:

rn our 5 year old has to be negotiated into wearing basically anything but the 18 month old has developed a taste a spicy peanut noodles and stuff

very interesting

when my daughter was about a year old we took her to a Greek restaurant and I got her to happily consume octopus

It remains my proudest moment in parenting history, I had no idea what was to come

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

My kiddo loves carrots, so the other day I gave her some carrot slices she ate half, then started chewing up another, stood up, looked me dead in the eye and said "I don't like carrots" and spit everything in her mouth onto the floor then tried to run off.

Lord help me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncBcJ8RFteg

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Our daughter is consistently answering the question "what should we name your brother" with "Luigi" now

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My daughter has attempted to play Super Mario 3D World after watching me play a lot of it. She is not good at it. She can make Mario move (not in any particular direction), or jump, but not at the same time. I'm hoping maybe next year she can be player 2 on something for real.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Same

My kid started preschool this year so it's to be expected at least a little but apparently it's the same even for kids who have been to school before

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

There's a lot of TMBG which is typically great for kids (Birdhouse in your Soul and We Want A Rock come to mind) but Thunderbeast it kinda sounds like your kid is a little past that by now

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Kal-L posted:

My wife is already hinting that "maybe we should have the second one sooner" and "it's easier the sooner we have it".

I'm already sweating bullets thinking of the next five years, and that's with one kid.

If you wait longer your first kid is less of a liability, but if you hurry up you go through the newborn phase before getting used to having a somewhat normal life again, so there's a tradeoff

...is what I've heard anyway, we're 20 weeks into pregnancy #2 so I guess I'm gonna find out :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My attitude toward having two kids is the same as my attitude toward having kids at all: I want to have two kids, but I don't want to go through the process of having them

Once kid #2 is down to two wakeups per night I'll feel much better and less anxious about life in general