Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My baby is still a baby, but I can smell the future reaction of his generation when Bernie doesn't solve every problem.

Or maybe that's milk barf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Sojenus posted:

my kid is doing an excellent job of equally distributing her food to the dog, but at one and a half or so she's nearing the mental and emotional age of your average libertarian so i need to be vigilant

Definitely be careful. That age is what they call their dating pool.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Flavius Aetass posted:

i make it a point not to lecture about politics so that she can come up with her own ideas and i can offer gentle guidance when appropriate

she's still basically a communist and it rules

she said if she's president she'd have (paraphrasing) open borders and a house for everyone

one time she asked me how much my car cost and when i told her she cried, because poor people couldn't afford that. she said it should be a law that cars only cost $20

You clearly need to give her more toy trains

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Flavius Aetass posted:

yeah i agree. the last thing i want is my kid to just parrot what i say until she casts it off at a later age to be a libertarian or something

"Challenge authority or no desert for a week"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

pancake rabbit posted:

ooo i didn't know this thread existed, i am happy it is here!

my two and a half year old is obsessed with blippi. i don't let him watch the ones with police cars but fortunately his favorites are like, the fire truck and baseball episodes. he's recently started getting into sesame street and elmo though so we're pushing that hard when it's TV time.

also he got his first haircut this past weekend! he did surprisingly great and didn't freak out or wiggle at all. we kept it shoulder length because he has these amazing natural curls that we have zero idea where they came from, but it was getting a little too unruly on the sides.

Have you and your spouse both got wavy hair?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

pancake rabbit posted:

neither of us!

I've reported your mutant offspring to the Inquisitor. They're doing an exterminatus. Such is the cost of maintaining mankind's purity.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
So far parenting hasn't radicalized me further, but I'm hoping

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

MacheteZombie posted:

Hopefully the right place to ask, sooo...

What are y'all doing for college funds? I've setup a 529 (lol just in time for recession) that's about it.

Same. Just set up a 529.

Voting for Bernie is probably the best plan though

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

just another posted:

the bad: sleep training a baby with a light-sleeping 2 year old across the hall loving sucks
the good: my son told me he's a witch and also a dragon who breathes hot fire so that's pretty :krad:

Sword in the Stone?
Sleeping beauty maybe?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I'm not sure how much you need to weight education to the left (except history and social studies, which tend towards the hagiographic for kids)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Taking every opportunity to poo poo on royals and nobles is probably a necessity given Disney

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

I want to go to a blue room

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

bitmap posted:

been depressed about this post for a full 24 hours. you americans are just...man, you're just hosed.

Haha, but like. I can drive to the Applebee's off the interstate exit or the one off the other interstate exit and no one can stop me. That's real freedom. The good stuff

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Another Bill posted:

Just wait until your kids discover youtube poop like mine have. There's a lot of Shrek YTP out there. They make me watch it with them.

So far YouTube is a non idea to my son, thankfully

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

AxGrap posted:

Mario Galaxy has been so fun for science lessons

"Black holes are no big deal, just don't get within 5 feet of one"

"Stars are little jelly creatures"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
My two year old was so excited to wear socks with sandals today, he made up a song about it. Is there a repair service for defective children?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Is there any restrictions on age for who can administer vaccines? My pediatrician is taking way too long to get back to us.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Oyak posted:

It took me until college to figure this stuff out...kids grow up so fast these days...

Wrong column for turkey, but a solid B+

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Sometimes I'll try to sing along with my 3yo's songs and she'll immediately start crying and giving me a near-meltdown level NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO until i stop

I'm being bullied

My two year old at least tells me what his objections are when he does that.

Often it's that I'm signing in the wrong language

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My four year old, triumphant after squashing a bug: "I didn't like it and now it's dead!"

:stare:

Somehow reminds me there was a kid who bullied me in kindergarten and he got run over by an 18 wheeler halfway through the school year.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

lobster shirt posted:

it's sweet when my son wants me to read to him but reading penguin says please ten times in a row is a little tiring

I have two tools in my toolbox for that. One is setting up a stack of books(that my son can contribute to) to read in order. Has surely saved me reading the phrase "busy cicadas make a loud humming noise, some can be heard a mile away" at least 250 times by now

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

hey CSPAM parents, advice desperately needed about an increasingly aggressively obstinate 5.5 year old. Have been told by pediatrics that our concerns are valid and while this doesn't seem "super bad", a behavioral evaluation is encouraged. Also the waitlist for that is over a year, so, here we are.

Background: two kids, 5.5 and 1.25 years old. Older kid has been somewhat impulsive/loose cannon since she was walking, very high energy, distractable, defiant, etc. None of that fazes me, I have all the same poo poo and I was a hellion.

For a long time, basic reward based strategies worked well enough: happy or sad faces on a chart along various axis ("nice to mom and dad", "did bedtime well", etc), TV/video game time (PBS stuff, all) awarded based on how many good marks she gets. (So no "punishment" for bad, just no reward).

As her sister has gotten bigger, more mobile, and of course more destructive, we've seen a lot of changes in the older kid. Some might be jealousy, also, she has been in preschool and summer preschool and while the behavioral reports from there are all fine, and when I pick her up I hear all the other kids happily wish her goodbye or hello when I drop her off, I can't discount that social interaction with peers is a factor in some of this.

So, bascially: she won't do what we say, she will in fact try to see how close she can come to doing the exact opposite, she no longer seems to care about being deprived TV & games for LONG periods of time, and she has taken to kicking, hitting and throwing stuff at her mom and me when she's upset. To be very clear we are NEVER physical with her, we do not spank her, we do not have any indication that other kids have hit her.... except her 1 year old sister, who, you know, is a 1 year old who also hit me in the face with a plastic firetruck 2 weeks ago, hard enough to substantially reinjure a long dormant neck injury I had. We try to remind kig kiddo, she is bigger, she is more mobile, she has a room she can go to. She very rarely actually hits her sister, but we have seen her do it at least once which is enough for "well those two can't be together unsupervised for even 5 seconds anymore" which is not the most convenient situation. Prior to things going downhill lately, I had made some progress paying the older kid 25 cents per 15 minutes to "babysit" -- this was with me very close by keeping an eye, but she was doing a fine job.

So -- I am stressed as gently caress. My job is stressful, if I lose it we're kinda super hosed until I find another one, my wife is behind in her professional certification desires because of kids and COVID, we're both in independent therapy, etc

We love the hell out of both kids, and, when she's not being a tyrant she's great! This is a kid who will happily do 15 mins of meditation and yoga with me most mornings! I try to encourage her to channel to that energy when she's spinning out of control, but she's just too young to connect the dots like that and all I can hope is that I am giving her a foundation of mindfulness and calm that may eventually serve her some purpose in the deserts of the future.

For now, we're just trying to find ways to navigate this more happily, and coming up blank. Also, I am anxious as hell about the general state of the world, so is my wife, and while we try to not say doomer poo poo and answer our kids' questions in non-doomer terms they can understand, it would be illogical to not assume that 2 years of COVID stress, combined with MPX, combined with general collapse anxieties, is impacting mine and my wife's behaviors in ways the kids are picking up on. Not sure what to do about that.

We almost aborted a trip to go get ice cream yesterday because older kid was so completely out of control in the leadup, but, my view is: poo poo like nice summers where you can just go get ice cream may well be a limited loving commodity. I don't mind depriving my kid screen time, who gives a gently caress, and actually she seems to have figured out she can have as much fun playing outside, which is great from an addiction perspective and not helpful from a behavior modification one. Anyway, point is, even if she's being a tyrant and even if it kind of rubs me wrong to "reward" tyrannical behavior, I think "family trips for ice cream" are a benefit to the whole family and I'm not going to let her gently caress that up for me and the rest of us if I can avoid it.

FWIW we had a good time getting ice cream once my wife got through her tears in the car from the insane trauma of the whole lead up ("I hate you" was used as weaponized speech a couple times, of course followed shortly by "I WANT A HUG!")

Any advice at all is loving appreciated, we're just dealing with this incident by incident at this point. Also she tends to obey me much more readily than her mom, but I am not sure if that's good or not; I am quicker to raise my voice, and also quicker to simply pick her up and remove her from a situation physically if she is being completely noncompliant.

Good luck, and condolences on your cartoonishly evil and chistofascisct patriarchal state leadership.

I don't really know what a 5 year old is like yet, but my two year old would have an impossibly hard time only thinking about long term rewards available in 5 minutes, much less hours later. I feel like that's a good tool for teaching delayed gratification, but not immediately dealing with line-crossing behavior.

What do you try in the moment? Stern voiced warning? Time outs? Redirection? Asking them to think about others?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I'm of the opinion that children need to learn how judgement works before they can mature to fair and non prejudicial judgement.

Children are going to learn the wrong lesson from things sometimes, and how you deal with that is probably way more important to their development than trying to never let it happen in the first place.

I'd hate to think how bad my moral judgement was at 4.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
What age do you start tv? I held off until 2 because of the APA's recommendation, then it turned out to be easier to just keep not having tv on around him.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
What's wrong with carrying light?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Saltpowered posted:

Get a big inflatable ball. The bigger the better. Have your kid explain the model is to scale so the protons and neutrons are stationed around town. Share some images of various town landmarks with balls photoshopped in and a “map” of where the other balls “are”

That's electrons, friend. The nucleons are in an extremely tight ever changing orbit with each other dominated by the strong force, but basically "occupy" the entire nucleus, to the extent that is a meaningful concept with subatomic particles.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Btw Pete the Cat and his whole crew are definitely stoners

Pete the cat and his magic sunglasses is hard to read as being about anything other than drugs

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

My in laws have a couple of rescue cats. One avoids the babby at all costs, the other one is ornery and likes to bite or scratch if he decides he doesn't like the way you're petting him, but seems to have infinite patience for the babby who gets excited about him and is always trying to pick him up and hug him lol

I think there's an extreme evolutionary pressure on domestic animals to not gently caress with babies

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

The face on that dog tells a story. The same story mitt already told

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my kid literally only eats four distinct foods so his vomit is a very consistent paste.

I think I spotted the underlying cause of his poor digestive health.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I'm sorry that was rude of me, but come on, you gotta know it's not good to have that narrow a diet.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
We got our almost 3 year old to eat just about everything, by agreeing to write words on a magnadoodle for him in exchange for eating.

"Okay, I'll write twelve down for you if you eat 6 carrots" was way way way way more effective than other bribery.

And he acts like he's the world's best negotiator if he talks us into two words for the same amount of vegetables.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Okay it's weird to have a crib full of unnamed meat

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

unlimited shrimp posted:

Huh. We weren't allowed to leave the hospital without a name.

They say things like this because it creates a ton of paperwork for them if you refuse, but you can actually refuse.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
What if we made the mere process of birthing a child an implicit threat to the financial stability of the entire rest of your life?

Why aren't people having kids anymore?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

sullat posted:

For my second kid the insurance refused to pay so we ended up paying $8000 or so.

That horrendously expensive service you have for exactly one reason? It randomly doesn't apply when that reason comes up.

American healthcare is just the best system with no flaws.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Chad Sexington posted:

What do people do re: Santa these days?

Our girl is just four months so it's all academic for me, but is it possible to be honest with your kid without them torching other families' holiday magic?

We're a mixed culture household and teaching him about Santa in the first place just seemed weird so we don't do it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Mustached Demon posted:

yeah it's basically conditioning kids into the police state with bonus jesus sprinkles of magic man's always watching

I'm going to take a very small issue with this, in that, developmentally, implied social judgement is a precursor to a more mature fully internal sense of moral understanding.

I don't think the supernatural element is good for kids, but there is a natural process that goes from authority figures judge me, to my peers judge me, to I judge me.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Dreylad posted:

some bonding issues can also be mild postpartum, guys can get it too apparently. I bonded pretty quickly but i was off work anyway.

It really is amazing when they start showing social cues though, agreed.

Actually, I feel like that's cause and effect reversal. I personally think that a lot of post partum depression comes from social expectations of instant love for babies and that that's not necessarily normal.

And so you get to feel guilty and overwhelmed all at once. Because no one in your life is willing to say "oh yeah you have a lump of fragile meat, but it gets better" to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
My biggest problem right now is my son wants me to read new Chinese language books to him faster than I can learn the characters in the current one.