Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Found out we are having a girl, felt her move for the first time last week

Utterly terrified and yet so excited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Wife is feeling this kid kick and move, and I mean move

Wife: hey she's kicking again

Me: oh cool lemme see

Kid:

and

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Remulak posted:

My kids are now 18 & 21, and yeah, most parenting is just repeating the same frames with different backgrounds. It’s good you understand this now.

lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Wife is being induced on Thursday

Terrified, excited, drat near nauseous just thinking about coming home with a tiny rear end human

More excited to be a dad though :unsmith:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oh my god we were talking about that too, gonna be on the slow lane doing 20 the entire way

At least I'll fit in with the other Maryland drivers :v:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It will be a while before my girl is able to navigate youtube and all that but the Elsagate poo poo had me shook as far as kid friendly stuff goes, is there a running list of things to absolutely avoid and stuff that would be ok for them to watch (beyond the obvious stupid poo poo trying to get them to buy poo poo or other useless content)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Wife is being induced, here at the hospital now just doing the waiting the game, won't be posting much

Gonna be a dad this weekend :unsmith:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Officially a dad as of 45 minutes ago and I can't stop crying I am beyond happy

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Thanks everyone, truly :3:

It's nuts, it's no joke how your brain just instantly rewires itself the moment you see the kid. I had feared I might have mourned pre-fatherhood, the ability to do anything at anytime and that sort of thing, but she is such an amazing little baby that she just instantly became my world and I'm just absolutely obsessed

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

aw shucks at that thread title :3:

Baby is doing good, she got a clean bill of health from the docs and the hospital here in dc has been great. Wife was amazing, our girl wasn't making huge progress during labor at first but my wife just went Kaioken x3 or something and after a trio of pushes, the baby was locked and loaded and within minutes she was popped out and on her mother's chest (and her big rear end eyes immediately popped open and haven't stopped looking around at everything, everyone here has been amazed at how unusually active and alert for a newborn she is)

Our girl was a bit fussy at first with some gas but we found out this morning she much prefers to be at a slight incline for napping and after feeding and it has been like a silver bullet - baby is out cold and mom has been catching some much needed sleep this morning :)

We go home as soon as she has one final hearing test done but beyond that they say we are good to go and I am stoked to get her home (and for my wife to enjoy being off for nearly 7 months paid as a federal employee with leave plus sick/vacation time, we are very lucky to have it and understand the privilege)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hahaha yeah we've already had a taste, last night was rough to say the least, like the kind of night we would be having weeks from now, so we fully know what we are in for

Once we got the hang of feeding and burping and giving her a bit of an incline, it has been much smoother but I have no misgivings about the amount of sleep I expect to have in the coming months

Wouldn't want it any other way :kimchi:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

We have a few different carriers that are along those lines??? Not home yet and will have to check brands/styles though

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

i have never been happier to find out that there is a 24/7 streaming channel for MST3k and I can access it within seconds from my live tv option on my roku

i have also never heard an infant shriek like this lmao

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao I'm so loving tired

Yet so loving happy

But also so loving tired

We got a good rhythm down of handing this kid off to each other and taking breaks and sleeping whenever possible and it has already been an adventure just shy of one week in

I'm crazy about this tiny rear end human

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Filthy Hans posted:

do you have one of those babies that cries like a normal baby but then after about 5 seconds turns it up to 11 and the wallpaper starts to curl

She reaches Pterodactyl levels the moment we go to change her diaper hahaha it's insane

She has been sleeping better and better and our pediatrician has been giving her a clean bill of health so all is well, just normal baby stuff, but we will have to keep an eye on her being tongue tied

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Obviously it's super early for me but I'm always taking mental notes and poo poo for this kind of thing so I appreciate the help too

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Past the two week mark this Satuday and she has been sleeping remarkably well - she can go for hours at a time, wakes up, gets diaper change, fed, and immediately falls back to sleep

Well, with the exception of last night where she decided she was a night owl like her dad. She had an exciting day with her doctor taking care of her being tongue tied which should help her with breastfeeding

Currently got her wrapped in a sling on my chest and she is fast asleep :3:

also

oxsnard posted:

do you have a baby carrier yet that is designed for newborns?

if not, this one is great https://ergobaby.com/omni-mesh-pearl-grey

turns out we have this exact one and I'm wearing it now and we have another one by the same company for when she gets older :lol:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I normally swear by everything from Costco but their loving diapers suck rear end, what the gently caress, no matter how you wrap your baby these shits loving leak and lead to constant blowouts

gently caress you kirkland (for probably the first time ever)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah I'm going back to the huggies which fortunately we also get at Costco and the price lately hasn't been too different

I feel dirty for choosing any brand over Kirkland but you can't win em all

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My 3 month old, back from her doctor's visit with her mom, looked at me and said "History does nothing, it ‘possesses no immense wealth’, it ‘wages no battles’. It is man, real, living man who does all that, who possesses and fights; ‘history’ is not, as it were, a person apart, using man as a means to achieve its own aims; history is nothing but the activity of man pursuing his aims."

I cried

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

oxsnard posted:

new thread title

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My girl is two months old now and is all full of smiles and poo poo, it's so awesome

Not so awesome: the purple faced crying after her vaccinations lmao holy gently caress

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oh my loving god man loving gently caress kirkland diapers, just loving blowout city no matter what, this poo poo doesn't happen very often with other brands

What the gently caress costco, you're better than this

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Flavius Aetass posted:

we tried those and they are definitely for the type of person who doesn't let dishes pile up

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

man it's so awesome, between all the smiles and giggles and poo poo, she's noticing the cats, is now reaching out and grabbing stuff (ever so slowly) and exploring more with her hands/mouth in general

she's a trooper at night still, aside from a few hiccups here and there, so it's gonna suck when she hits that next regression :v:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

one part of me is living vicariously through you and is really enjoying these happy posts of yours :3:

another part of me is chuckling to itself, thinking about how the bolded part you're celebrating becomes a nightmare once your kid learns to move and instantly transforms into a small mobile suicide machine

B-Rock452 posted:

This is such a fantastic description of what kids are. When my oldest was around 14 months a baby bird fell out of a nest so I got a ladder and we made a big deal of getting the bird back into the nest and I literally turned my back for five seconds afterwards and she was all the way up the ladder. She had never seen a ladder before and was still somewhat janky when it came to walking but she just flew up this ladder. Looking at photos from even just 3 years ago I have aged so much.

Hahahaha, oh no doubt, I fully expect to be run ragged in the coming years

I'm actually getting back into shape as if I were back to playing hockey regularly which has made me feel great but I know the true reason is to chase this little rear end in a top hat around and keep her alive lmao

Haven't really put on weight over the years, I don't think I've ever gotten higher than about 150-155 due to the occasional run but my wife was an absolute running machine when she was a baby and I was too so I'm doing my best to get back to "constant line changes and skating drills" levels of fitness. I've never been so excited and terrified at the same time and it's hilarious that that's pretty much parenting

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

steven universe is just plain fuckin weird to me, though

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It also takes a lot - a whole fuckin lot - to get me to enjoy a kids show with musical numbers that isn't uhhh, sesame street if that counts, animaniacs??? That might be it

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My friends kids watch a ton of pbs and Wild Kratts was pretty cool when I watched it with them, I learned some cool poo poo about manatees and it was inoffensive without being annoying, thats really all I ask

And one of the villains has a good Gilbert Gottfried impersonation behind them, that was pretty fhnny

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

i took next week off to spend time with the kid and im both excited and exhausted already

also costco's diapers confirmed for bad and awful because we've been using huggies now and we havent had a single blowout despite some impressive shits

i cant believe id ever recommend against getting a kirkland product :negative:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Baby is up and wide awake after taking a monster dump lmao, all at 4 a.m.

It's not so bad though, she is rarely up like this. im feeling rested and giving her mom a break and the kid seems content to be swinging and messing around with a rattler so I'm watching my youtube playlist for times like this (which is a sad thing because im on the next video which is a Flyers-Rangers playoff game from 97 and makes me miss when Philly was good)

I try to avoid having her in front of screens but man it sure makes me happy that she is mesmerized by hockey when it's on :allears:

Probably easy to see with the bright colors against a white background too

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah I'm doing all I can to limit any screen time to zero but it's a challenge, I don't know how you guarantee not even seeing a screen in 2021

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The animals play
The animals play
The animals play all day

The animals play
The animals play
The animals play all day

:suicide:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

This sleep regression is brutal

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Insanite posted:

zero sleep regressions in almost two years

after we got the kid onto a 730pm-630am schedule, it stuck

feels good

this is literally how she was right up until last week, it owned

the only solace is knowing it will end

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gringostar posted:

posting this here for all of you to also inflict endless psychological trauma to your kids

just, don’t use the drake meme since he’s a sex pest

gonna wish my kid good luck on graduating high school by taking out an ad in the yearbook that is a loss edit picturing her running through the hospital to an image of the school sitting on the bed at the end

"REMEMBER [kid], YOU CAN ALWAYS MOVE PAST IT, AND HEAL"

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I love pbs kids, but there is something, I don't know, lifeless? Just not as good? Between the CGI toons and the 2d stuff and if isn't just me being a curmudgeon about loving traditional (looking) cartoons for kids and poo poo. Both my wife and my brother alluded to the same thing after watching a block of shows and the getting to Ready Jet Go which I feel like I should like (I loving LOVE SCIENCE), but just has that lifeless wannabe DreamWorks vibe to it all and if prefer not to watch it

Which means I'm doomed to have a kid that loves it lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

kid's been slowly getting used to going down in her own crib for naps, but it has been an uphill battle to get her to sleep without being held. Glad she finally seems to be getting the hang of it

she rolls around like a maniac (until she's on her stomach and suddenly can't remember what to do) and I think she is just dying to be crawling, can't wait to be chasing her around and teaching her how to Not Die

I will never know sleep again and I'm fully aware this was part of the deal lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

me, sitting my daughter down to talk about how i once loved nu metal, lookin like im havin a vietnam flashback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It sucks that so many books about being a dad and giving advice is done through that irritating lens of "HEH you're a MANLY man, also treat your wife like a QUEEN by doing (list of things you should have already been doing around the house because you're not a fuckin manchild)

The chapters in what to expect about your wife's actual health and potential issues was also woefully inadequate, but given that there's so many gaps and blind spots in understanding pregnancy, I guess it's not too surprising