Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

ooo i didn't know this thread existed, i am happy it is here!

my two and a half year old is obsessed with blippi. i don't let him watch the ones with police cars but fortunately his favorites are like, the fire truck and baseball episodes. he's recently started getting into sesame street and elmo though so we're pushing that hard when it's TV time.

also he got his first haircut this past weekend! he did surprisingly great and didn't freak out or wiggle at all. we kept it shoulder length because he has these amazing natural curls that we have zero idea where they came from, but it was getting a little too unruly on the sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Flavius Aetass posted:

are you ever going to tell him about blippi?

lol nope

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

ikanreed posted:

Have you and your spouse both got wavy hair?

neither of us!

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

sonatinas posted:

Here is the list of the books that I could find around the house. I may have omitted one or two.

A is for Activist
Counting on Community
Hug me
We are water protectors
Sulwe
If sharks disappeared
Anti racist baby
We are grateful
Fry bread
Here we are
The proudest blue
I have the right to be a child

Need some new ML books for kids lol. That market is wide open.

The Bacteria Book: The Big World of Really Tiny Microbes is also good if you want to talk about viruses with the kids

these are good suggestions. i feel like an rear end in a top hat saying this but while the message of anti racist baby is extremely cool and good, oh my GOD ibram needed to read that book out loud before sending in the final draft, the meter of the rhyme scheme is all over the loving place lol

yes these are the things i notice now after doing the bedtime routine with my 3 yr old every night of his life since he was old enough to switch from a crib to a bed

Organic Lube User posted:

I have no problem with youtube per se, but I hate the algorithm and my wife makes me feel like I'm Stalin Incarnate any time I move to change the video when the kid taps on something insipid.
Like those two little russian brats that act utterly insane. I hate them so much. Blippi is fine, at least he teaches stuff.

jfc i hate that russian channel so much

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Harton posted:

Something super off putting about him. Like he ain’t got no kids why is he at the park?

to get million dollar checks from youtube if i had to field a guess

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

lol same exact thing for us

my son is gonna be 4 next month and after i put him to bed every night i typically play a few games of rocket league, it's just sorta my thing

lately he's been getting out of bed once or twice after i first say goodnight to "tell us something" which is usually "i love you"

but he's caught me a few times and now occasionally he will ask if we can "play cars"

let me tell u folks, get yourself a spare wireless controller without any batteries in it, works wonders

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

last weekend our 4 year old got something in his eye and we were trying to convince him to let us rinse it out with water, and his mom showed him some photos of when she was washing people's eyes out as a street medic. and he started asking questions and somehow it ended up with her telling him that there was a police car on fire there. then he changed the subject and we forgot about it

until later that night when i was trying to teach him a dumb joke for fun, so i got him to memorize the delivery of "what's black and white and red all over? a newspaper!"

so he goes over to his mom and fumbles the delivery, so she tries to help him and asks him "pancake rabbit jr, what's black and white and red all over?" to which he proudly responds

"a police car on fire!"

:vince:

pancake rabbit has issued a correction as of 05:49 on Oct 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

god what a month. we leave for a couple days and return to find our 16-year-old cat's blood all over the floor. all of our other pets died earlier this year and he's got feline leukemia, so we all thought it he was dying too. turns out he had an abscess, but he thankfully pulled through. the resulting medical bills made it clear that we can't afford to stay in seattle though, so we're moving in with my parents by the end of the year.

it's just been one disruptive and traumatic event after another for the kids, i feel so bad for them :(

:( that's a lot, sorry man

and i feel ya - we had to euthanize our ~15 yr old cat in june, then we moved from the suburbs to a new house in the country in july, then 2 weeks after the move my wife's sister (our son's favorite person in the world) OD'd and died, and then a month after that our 13 year old blue staffy collapsed one day and it turns out he had spleen cancer and there wasn't anything that could be done. not to mention that our kid had to leave his old (amazing) daycare/preschool and all his friends, and then the first one out here we tried was awful and now we're driving 40 minutes roundtrip every morning and afternoon to a place that he at least doesn't come home crying from every day.

but you know what? those things were and still are sad, and hard, but kids are so much more resilient than we give them credit for. our kid still sometimes tells us that he misses those that we lost, and i'm glad that he remembers them, but he's also learned how to be happy and thrive in this new environment. be strong for them and they'll be your strength when you need it.