Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Hey, I've been thinking about having a thread like this for a while. I like to talk about being a dad and I know other parents like to talk about their experiences as well, so I wanted to make a place for us to hang out without holding back important parts of our lives so we don't seem like buzzkills in the :killing: threads

:siren: Thread rules, likely to be updated :siren:

DO:

- Share as much as you want or as little as you want
- Ask questions about kids or parenting (non-parents too!)
- Talk about how parenting relates to the Trump era, leftism, climate change, etc.
- Share funny things your kid said
- Brag about your kid's crayon drawings or promotion at their adult job
- Complain about getting old and how it sucks
- Discuss discipline and other controversial issues respectfully

DON'T:

- Question why someone would have a kid in this doomed earth, etc.
- Be a dick about the concept of having kids
- Talk about "beating [kid's] rear end" etc.
- Say anything remotely loving creepy about someone's kid, at all
- Melt down over circumcision or spanking or whatever

:siren: :siren:

Anyway, my 8-year-old daughter was questioning why I like boring cereal at breakfast today, which led to me talking about how I like all kinds of boring things and how studying history contextualizes the present and let's us know what should be acceptable and what society's goals should be, to which she interrupted me with :rolleyes: "jon arbuckle..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
i'd expect that you have some peace and quiet before 9 PM

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Sojenus posted:

my kid is doing an excellent job of equally distributing her food to the dog, but at one and a half or so she's nearing the mental and emotional age of your average libertarian so i need to be vigilant

i make it a point not to lecture about politics so that she can come up with her own ideas and i can offer gentle guidance when appropriate

she's still basically a communist and it rules

she said if she's president she'd have (paraphrasing) open borders and a house for everyone

one time she asked me how much my car cost and when i told her she cried, because poor people couldn't afford that. she said it should be a law that cars only cost $20

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
yeah i agree. the last thing i want is my kid to just parrot what i say until she casts it off at a later age to be a libertarian or something

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
No idea, but I've tried to instill in mine a healthy sense of taking nationalist bs with a grain of salt without causing waves at school

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
having to make the tough decision that my girlfriend of 6 years is not good for my kid and she needs to go

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
gotta admit, although i know it's irrational, i'm low-key worried about my kid getting coronavirus. there's no reason to put any thought to it now, but i really don't want to live through some spanish flu situation.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Peg +Cat is excellent for younger kids

Adventure Time is fun for the whole family

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I ended up having a flat ban on YouTube, because all she wanted to do was watch these creepy videos of some lady unboxing and playing with toys. I let her watch her FNAF music videos in the car sometimes but if she's at home it needs to be a movie or a real show.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
For me it wasn't the content in and of itself, but the way it's all designed to get its hooks into a kid. She became obsessed and I felt like it was no longer responsible of me to keep allowing this addiction. If she was wired a bit differently I wouldn't have a problem with it in small doses.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
are you ever going to tell him about blippi?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I hardly think encouraging learning and discouraging self-destructive impulses is reactionary. It just means you're too old to wear a patch jacket.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Kaedric posted:

I'm more radicalizsed but I've also become more cowardly. I'm the sole breadwinner for our family so whenever there's some dumb bullshit like kids in cages I don't want to join any protests in case the cops get uppity and just start murdering.

My kids gotta hurry up and grow up so I can die on the streets as god intended

Yeah, same. My first responsibility is to my daughter and that comes before anything else. Not about to have her in foster care because I hit a cop or whatever.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Organic Lube User posted:

More importantly, how do I impress upon my kid that activism and protesting are important while at the same time eschewing the more radical aspects because I gotta make that bread for her? I'd love for her to see her father always fighting for the right things, but actually doing so feels like it puts her at risk.

So I guess I need to find a workable middle ground. Perhaps just limit myself to behind the scenes support roles, and going to DSA meetings and such. But that feels like it could turn into more of a timesink than I'd like, and take me away from spending time with my daughter.

I struggle with this too. I think in general it's best to err on the side of having a life of your own within reasonable bounds. Maybe that means a bit less time with your kids, but you have an example to set and a world to live in and that's important too.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I have depression, so while I'm very rarely "sad," I don't have a lot of mental or emotional energy and my motivation is basically to do the bare minimum of going to work, taking care of my kid, cleaning the house, shopping, and that leaves basically enough left to just play a game for a couple hours before bed and/or post.

When I just had my daughter part-time it was much easier to deal with, but the load has increased substantially after getting full custody two years ago. I thought ADD and depression medication would change that, and while they've helped a bit I still can't seem to get myself off my rear end.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
me: *drops waffles*

her: clumsy old dad...

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Hopefully the right place to ask, sooo...

What are y'all doing for college funds? I've setup a 529 (lol just in time for recession) that's about it.

I'm just scraping by month to month and I haven't saved anything :(

Sucks that if I end up making more money there's just going to be a whole bunch of other things like this I need to spend the difference on

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
drat, don't gently caress with this guy's kid ^

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
*daughter reading my old Calvin and Hobbes book*

her: so Calvin has a crush on Susie but he's mean to her?

me: yeah pretty much

her: Calvin is tsundere

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
i am absolutely getting cabin fever from working from home for weeks while my kid's school is closed

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I hope someone is able to help you, because I'm not aware of any left-oriented homeschooling resources. If you can't find what you're looking for you could always supplement the material with library books of your choice and reading assignments. I feel like the bigger issue would be finding homeschool social groups that aren't fundies, but I'm sure they exist.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
jeez. my daughter is 9 and pretty drat left-wing socially and fiscally already, and this is without any prodding from my end. i predict a lot of the same in her future.

buy her a ballistic helmet imo

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Spoondick posted:

i played green jellos three little pigs for my daughter today and her response was "this is terrible, only horrible parents would play this for their kids" and i had a moment of reflection

lmao

she didn't even want to do the not by the hair on my chinnie-chin-chin part?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
ahahaha

my daughter was having a really tough time getting out of bed friday morning and i told her trump has covid

she kind of processed it for a few seconds and then said, very calmly, "that doesn't make me any less tired"

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
"dad, can you open this bag of cheese sticks for me? it's dummy thicc."

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
whoa that's awesome

i just find things like this

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
i believe that is a centaur

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
"dad, what is cock?"

jesus take the wheel

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
tell her about 5318008

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
tfw U-DO Burger is helping with homework: :thunk:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Fleetwood posted:

I feel like kids enjoy YouTube shows more than regular cartoons and Disney movies

mine does, for sure

I try to get her to watch something with like, an actual story or something of value and she's become so resistant to it

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Fleetwood posted:

It was Roblox for me

e: it passed after a two month suspension tho

"NOOO A FEW MORE MINUTES, LET ME FRIEND THIS PERSON"

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Alright! It's magical, bud.

You're going to drive home so slowly lol

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

some plague rats posted:

I heard that paw patrol is fascist. What's up with that

i wouldn't say fascist exactly, but extremely bootlicky

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
little kids probably shouldn't know that the society around them is hosed imo

be there to guide them toward empathy for their fellow man and the rest will follow in time

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Good soup! posted:

Officially a dad as of 45 minutes ago and I can't stop crying I am beyond happy

So happy for you man

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Harton posted:

Something super off putting about him. Like he ain’t got no kids why is he at the park?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Harton posted:

4 year old daughter woke me up

“good morning daddy, good morning”

“your an rear end in a top hat daddy”

“your an rear end in a top hat”

like poo poo DONT LET YOUR MOTHER HEAR YOU GOD DAMNIT!

oh i'm sure she knows

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
tom nook: looks like the cherry-like fruits on our island look like cherries and taste like cherries. in fact, I'm 100% sure they're cherries!

9-year-old: yeah no poo poo sherlock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

If you use a pacifier, I highly recommend this kind. Not only is it cute as hell but it's hard to lose, it balances on the baby's belly so if they spit it out it doesn't fall, and it's a soft, comforting weight for them.