Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

U-DO Burger posted:

i had gone 2 years with no caffeine, and then my first child was born and i immediately became a coffee junkie

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Kindergarten used to be half day only but is generally full day regular school now, at least in my part of the US

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

BonHair posted:

This might be part of it, but they also just loving love repetition. My kid (just turned 4) will go out of his way to watch the same cartoon episode over and over. Same goes for reading the dinosaur book, always the same pages, and you better believe he is ready to point at that pachycephalosaurus the moment I say the word. And also correct me if I read something wrong or in the wrong order.

I sometimes try switching out irrelevant details (coffee becomes tea, supermarket becomes specific chain, that sort of thing), and he always catches me and corrects me.

The point being that they know drat well what will happen, they just like it like that from at least age 3 or so.

I read something a year or two ago that it's believed they like the repetition because it is familiar and gives them a feeling of control or at least understanding and expectations. So much of the world is unexpected and makes no sense at all to them; a familiar story does and they can anticipate things.

My 4yo will also jump all over me if I mispronounce a word in a familiar book :unsmith:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My 2.5 year old still struggles to sleep through the night :negative:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Trying to figure out how to quarantine with my two and four year old since my wife just popped positive and we're all negative

Gonna be a wild two weeks

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It does indeed suck. We've both been wearing masks inside and she's been keeping her distance from the kids as best as she can.

She almost definitely picked it up from one of her students. Lol.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Sucks, good luck :smith:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lol if your back to school supplies didn't include a pile of binax now tests

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

PerniciousKnid posted:

I hardly believe I could administer the test to my kindergartner or her little brother with better than 80% accuracy, which basically means it wouldn't change my behavior, so why bother.

Having given one myself to my two year old and having had to hold him and my four year old on my lap for their pediatrician to do it, you're not exactly wrong here! But of they're pretty symptomatic with something like a bad runny nose, it doesn't take too much to get a good sample per their doctor.

It did allow my wife to catch her infection that she picked up at her school quickly and then isolate/n95 in the house at least.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Loucks posted:

Now it’s just a matter of making sure he doesn’t ... try to ride his bike off a homemade ramp next to the street.

You monster

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"drive like your children lived here!"

"They do lol vroom vroom"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Good soup! posted:

caught our first daycare cold :stoked:

multiple tests and we're all covid free and she just has the usual cough/runny nose but im keeping her home an extra day, just thinking about the other kids and worrying a whole bunch

At least one of my kids has been sick for 6 out of 8 weeks of preschool this year.

One of the weeks they weren't sick was the second week of quarantine.

Unfortunately pretty much normal because young kids in daycare/preschool are sick constantly.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

kids daycare keeps having insane turnover rates and three teachers quit this morning so all kids ages 2-5 were in one giant class today!!! really good stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

fosborb posted:

~highly illegal~

BIgDevine posted:

I would of thought this would be a problem in terms of insurance. England has a rule that there must be a adult present for each x amount of kids.

out of curiosity do you know why they quit?

I think they were doing what they could to maximize the available teacher:student ratio. So my 4yo daughter's class only has 7-8 kids normally, but that teacher can technically take up to 10 legally, so jam them all together to stretch it as thin as possible. No idea why they quit beyond pay for early education is abysmal and you can get the same or better virtually anywhere right now.

The good news is that I definitely don't have to worry about this happening again with my 2 year old in the near future. Because they're just indefinitely closing his classroom. lol. lmao.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It took one night of cry it out for my daughter when she wasn't sleeping more than 30 minutes at like five months old, now she sleeps like a champ every night for nearly four years.

We've broken out the old backpacking bed roll and sleeping bag for my son's floor. One solid night of sleep a month is about the best he can do.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My 4yo threatened to "cut off my brain" this evening :stare:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

B-Rock452 posted:

I mean don't get me wrong I love her art and how creative she is. Not sure where "many eyes" actually came from though. Or why I look so weird in her drawing of me

I'm seeing double here! Four B-Rock452's!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Good soup! posted:

lmao that rules

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_KSLK2XwxY

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Despite the sleepless nights thanks to my 2yo, I'm still pretty glad to only have to deal with Toddler Problems rather than real stuff

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

sonatinas posted:

yeah if you're lucky the kid will just have croup once in daycare. Loved driving to the ER at 1am in snow to get relief for croup.

do kids who stay at home until grade school just catch up with a poo poo load of illnesses first year in school? I figured daycare put my kid through immune system training.

That's what my kids' pediatrician has said. They'll be exposed eventually one way or another.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

500excf type r posted:

diapers, bottles, formula

This for sure. A baby carrier is always good too.

e: also after the baby is here if there's any way you can help with regular life stuff, like meal prep or even some housework or something. Or watching the baby for an hour or two so they can sleep.

brugroffil has issued a correction as of 14:10 on Dec 13, 2021

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My 2.5yo recently started picking up "momma's book" and reading to us. Turning page by page, "and then the scary monster came"; next page "and then the scary monster came"; next page "ah scary monster!" then runs out of the room.

Check your local library for when they're doing book sales. Ours does "fill a big shopping bag for $5" or something like that a couple of times year. You can pick up dozens of books that way for next to nothing.

Your library might do a 1000 books before kindergarten program as well
https://1000booksbeforekindergarten.org/

For a little bit older kids, my daughter's been loving this book:

and we think she'll like this one for Christmas based on her response to the above:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Three year old gets clinical trial dose #2 today. Hooray for a 75% chance that we've protected her a little bit!

:coronatoot:

we're debating trying to sign up for the Moderna clinical trials out of Lurie's Children Hospital in Chicago

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My wife's school was in lockdown two weeks ago thanks to idiot kids with an airsoft rifle. This latest round of stupidity was in her inbox this morning.

Can't imagine why people aren't sticking with teaching with that bullshit, covid breading ground, and now becoming the latest culture war battlefield

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bar Ran Dun posted:

my wife just never had quite enough production at it was really really awful.

listen to Another Bill even if you think you are doing well. I didn’t know how little my wife was sleeping. and there is no shame in switching to formula. there is huge amount of pressure to breastfeed. it’s good to do but can be really just terrible on the breast feeder.

also try fenugreek pills we found it always worked up milk production, if it was dropping off.

Don't be afraid to say "hey this just isn't working for us"

The nursing staff for our second kid was a little apoplectic when we flatly said no to breast feeding

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The Nastier Nate posted:

moving away from poop chat

me, my wife, my son are all vaxxed up

my daughter otoh is not cause she is 3 and a half, she turns 4 in April. If it was up to me I'd go stick her in some platform shoes and go get her vaxxed right now and hope to find a pharmacy tech that cant tell or doesnt care. my wife wants to wait, but i told her, especially with omicron threaten to gently caress this country sideways, if they dont approve it for young kids soon im taking her in anyway.

any other parents struggled with this issue?

Fwiw in initial trials, Pfizer found the 10ug dose was too likely to result in severe fevers for under 5's, which is why they shifted to 3ug doses.

What we've been talking about is what we'll do if the Pfizer three shot works and gets approved before July, when my daughter turns five. Do we get her that first 3ug dose or potentially wait a month hypothetically until she gets the 10ug?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

my daughter got a box of a dozen of those for her birthday, can confirm that they rule

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Basically like playing with wet clay or playdough. We bought a cheap picnic table cloth on amazon that we throw down for messy activities like that or painting.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RYX7PTJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"wow we don't have to change our lifestyle at all!"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/MicahPollak/status/1476580247453716485

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm very glad my wife's school's winter break continues for one more week so we can hold our kids back from the COVID factory that is daycare for at least one more week.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

We went through something similar with our daughter for about four weeks when she was ~4 months old. Eventually we broke down and did cry it out with going in to check for a minute in increasing intervals, something like that. It was a very rough.... night. She's slept like a champ since then for four years!

My 2.5 yo never took to that and still regularly gets up 2+ times a night to drag one of us back to his room, so no advice works for every kid.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Uh maybe report that

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

my 2 year old learned how to lock doors

we now have small flat head screwdrivers stashed strategically around the house to open them

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

You could get a cheap eye hook and put it out of reach to hold it shut

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Medical grade DeWalt staple gun

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My earliest memory is of jumping off the couch, ripping my head open on the corner of a piece of furniture, and walking into the kitchen scream-crying at my dad with blood flowing in front of my eyes. I was barely 3 at the time. The first of several childhood head traumas.

The scar used to be well-covered by my hair. It's been a pretty glaring reminder of just how far my hairline has receded :negative:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bitmap posted:

bluey is an actual gift from heaven

Truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Every night in our house is a fight over who gets to have momma put them to bed. Definitely doesn't cut deep when it's shouting match about "no you have to go with Daddy tonight!"