Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm really proud of my elementary school aged children because I bought them a Switch for christmas and they're already finally competitive at MarioKart :kiddo::hf::kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Organic Lube User posted:

gently caress America, gently caress pharmaceutical ads, just gently caress all of this.

:yeah:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

My kids started watching Pokemon on Netflix.

Other parents be warned: that genie does not go back in the bottle

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Somebody said to me once that making time for yourself is important, even if it means being less involved in activism.

The struggle against injustice isn't going anywhere and it certainly won't stop because you're pursuing other dreams. You can always come back to it.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I've been taking my kiddos to comic book stores since they were in strollers and they both read well above their levels now. I highly recommend it as a way to get kids into reading!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

hell yeah whats up terrible metal parent bro

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

quote:

Kid: Dad, your hair looks like Jon.

Me: Jon who?

Kid: Jon from Garfield

Me: ... did you just call me Jon Arbuckle?

This just happened.

Also my 10 yr old did a fist pump when I told her Donald Trump was in hospital with covid

I'm buying them both accounts lol

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

We took Minecradt away from our kids. They play an hour or two of video games a day, but for some reason Minecraft makes them act especially lovely afterwards.

I've got them set up playing The Sims and Stardew Valley and everything is cool but throw an hour of Minecraft in the mix and spend the rest of the day acting like toddlers. Anyone else notice this poo poo?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

babypolis posted:

minecraft is crack for kids. they are basically experiencing withdrawal

Yeah its totally this. They even look like little burnt out crackheads after a long session

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Parenting is super fun and challenging. There's an awful lot that the baby is going to want only from their mom for the next 3 months (at least), so get ready to do everything else with a smile on your face. Hang in there and treat your wife like you're her butler for the next 3-6 months.

I have two and its amazing. We play Warhammer and watch superhero movies together. :3:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Juchero posted:

It's me, I'm the white person sending my children to school.

And I'm loving terrified.

Jesus christ dude I'm so sorry. Are you doing vitamin d supplements? They make a gummy for kids. Maybe you don't need that in Florida idk I live in the frozen north. Its supposed to help prevent serious viral infections.

Is any parent here keeping up with the children vaccine trials? I'm wondering how theyre progressing and what the timeline is.

I trust CSPAM for info more than I trust Google, which is horrifying in its own special way.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

U-DO Burger posted:

in conclusion, baby sleep schedules are a land of contrasts

Yeah totally. My first slept through the night after the first week, my second didn't sleep through the night for the first three and a half years. It sucked. Every baby is different I guess.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

My 6 year old just told me she has "an idea for a show called Dog Trek, to boldly pee where no dog has peed before. It's basically Star Trek but all dogs"

I would watch the poo poo out of that show.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

My message to my kids re:schooling is 'get your work done, beyond that I don't care if you turn the camera off and read comic books all day'

We were also forced to have some frank discussions about one of their teachers who was completely incompetent at teaching, interacting with children and using a computer simultaneously. I think acknowledging that, yes this man is an idiot but you still have to do your homework, helped a lot. It put us all on the same 'side' instead of fighting about remote school.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I started playing D&D with my girls and they loving love it. The 6 yr old is a druid and spends every game in Wolf form and casts Talk to Animals all the time. She's legit the most in character person I've ever played with and it's great.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

it's my kid's second pandemic birthday party.

he's seven and I got him some books and some Lego. his mom made a cake with him and they decorated it to look like a pokeball.

he's gonna hang out with his brother and his parents today. like he does every day.

Yeah both my kids have had two pandemic birthdays and it fuckin suuuuucks but also I got an email from the local school today ( that they aren't attending this year ) that they're declaring an outbreak so I'm happy they're here.

Oh and I have a toothache and I'm scared to go to the dentist also because COVID

B-Rock452 posted:

I have no actual idea what I am doing

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I play folk music for my kids too, in fact every lullabye i ever sang them i learned from either Woody Guthrie or The Pogues.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Insanite posted:

raffi deep cuts are good. he also has some nice covers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSNkeA2z8aA

guy's kind of a lib, but he seems decent enough.

I take issue with calling Raffi kind of a lib

https://twitter.com/Raffi_RC/status/1267225204767383553

If everyone was like Raffi cops and fash would be running scared

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Flavius Aetass posted:

we tried those and they are definitely for the type of person who doesn't let dishes pile up

:hmmyes:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I changed diapers everyday for 7 straight years and while it never seemed like a chore, goddamn am I glad that's over

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Flavius Aetass posted:

Hey, what good kids shows or kid-friendly animes feature LGBT characters? My 9-year-old has noticed the near-complete absence of LGBT anything in most media and is getting pretty upset about it.

e: gonna ask in the LGBT thread too

Definitely not Modern Family, despite having a gay couple as two of the leads. That show is seriously hosed by 2021 standards.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

CSPAM Parenthood is making Earth Day cookies with your kids but not telling them this is a performative action

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Flavius Aetass posted:

C-SPAM parenthood is telling the school that she goes there to be a student, not a salesperson, but mostly you just don't want to deal with the cookie bullshit

She's homeschooled right now :negative:

e: it was her idea

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Help my kids are getting into anime

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

U-DO Burger posted:

is it good anime

You're asking the wrong guy. Its on Netflix.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

You think getting a kid to sleep through the night feels good, I let my older kid babysit the younger one for the first time last weekend while mom and I went to the neighbors for outdoor drinks.

We are going to ease into this nice and slow but by the fall we're going to be taking advantage of the built-in babysitter once a week. :hellyeah:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

AxGrap posted:

You mother fuckers I am burning with jealousy.

I've been looking forward to this moment for 10 years.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

PerniciousKnid posted:

My wife made us take pictures with all the fruits, animals would've been way more annoying.

My wife and I have a picture of us doing a shot of tequila at our local on her due date (she drank a glass of wine twice in the previous 9 months)

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

AxGrap posted:

Baby is in the hospital with RSV and still breastfeeding so my wife has to stay there with her while I stay at home with the three year old. This stinks. New kid is pretty miserable and there isn't anything we can do about it except suck her nose every couple hours. Not worried about her dying or long term effects or anything but the hospital support is the best option for the baby. Feeling pretty helpless.

Hang in there. I had a baby in the hospital and it's no loving fun, but it'll get better.

also:

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/1402958575270518786

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

That statue had it coming is the way I heard it

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/CBCCanada/status/1408451703284944898

They had 'orange shirt day' at school this week to remember the missing children from Canada's residential schools (those 751 bodies are at only one of about 140 sites), and I got to sit my 10 year old down to lay it all out.

I explained how the church and the government used the police to take children away from their families and thousands of them died over the course of 100 years. And that it ended around the same time I finished high school, so it's not ancient history. She took it all in stride, because they've been taught about "reconciliation" at school since Kindergarten.

Anyways, it felt good to finally drop the bullshit and be honest with her about Canada's history.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hopefully the 6-12 year old vaccine trial data arrives by end of summer, as scheduled.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

You're going to have to try harder to poo poo up the thread bro. Over in the Canada thread we've got a guy stanning for the catholic church and posting his tax returns as some kind of pathetic self-own

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3847177&pagenumber=607&perpage=40#post515946292

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

So my kids are older than most itt and curious about the world. Anyone know a good 9/11 doc to watch with a smart ten year old, that is maybe critical of foreign policy too? They understand the twin towers fell down because of a plane crash but beyond that I don't know where to start... maybe a Frontline or something?

Please don't give the hacky yakkity sax answer.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I've been playing D&D with my kids this year and it's way more fun than DMing for adults. The experience is much more laid back, I'm looking out for them instead of being an adversary and nobody ever does any rules lawyering.

This is a very un-CSPAM comment, but I'm about to pull my kids out of public school (1000+ kids) and send them to a tiny (35 kids) private school to protect them from delta until they're vaxxed. It's going to cost 95% of my take home every week and I don't care, I'm loving spooked.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I did something like that but I just straight up quit my job. do what you gotta.

That was the other option but they've been out of the classroom since March 2020 now, I can't hide them for another year it's not healthy.

e: The school I'm looking at has small class sizes, proper ventilation and 2m distanced desks. All things that should be in the public system by now but are not.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

don't judge me!

no it's fine. if I had a wfh job I'd do what you're doing but mine is a hands-on kind of job so I just refuse to go in.

Oh my friend, I am not judging. I worked from home all last year with virtual grade 1 and virtual grade 4 in the same room. I couldn't do that again.

It just fuckin sucks right now if kids are under 12.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Today I'm leaning heavily towards sending my kids back to public school.

Love to ride the COVID mental health rollercoaster!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

On the one hand, I live in Toronto where 76%+ of people are fully vaxed, the school has hepa filters in every room (but no HVAC) and all kids will be wearing masks except at lunch.

In the other hand delta is a contagious motherfucker, the 'science table' refuses to release fall projections and our government leadership is completely AWOL.

gently caress

e: also my neighborhood is has consistently had on of the lowest case counts throughout the whole pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Greg Legg posted:

My son is doing the sleep regression thing now. He wakes up at 2 and won't go to back to sleep until 4. The toddler isn't doing much better. I realize I haven't slept a whole night since 2017. This is the real crack ping and I'm going to post through it.

I'm here for you. We didn't sleep through the night from 2014 - 2018 and it really broke part of my brain. I'd say it took almost 2 years for me to recover and not feel like a basket case. Getting on a good workout schedule was what really helped get my brain and internal clock fixed fwiw. Also buying a good bed for my kid so we could just sleep next to them comfortably and let the other parent rest.