Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Good soup! posted:

Ugh, little one had a rough night - think we just fed her a bit too much as she recently started great with solid food but threw up tonight all over herself in her crib and then a tiny bit more once she got cleaned up. Didn't seemed phased and aside from tiredly rubbing her eyes, she spent her time giving her best smiles and laughs and leg kicks to me, her mom, and my mother in law

Nothing projectile and she is already getting back down with love and care

We had a terrifying moment around the time our kid started eating solid food, we had given him raspberries or strawberries or something like that, which he loved -- but overnight he projectile vomited all over his crib. And it was red! Very frightening. But it was just from the fruit and not blood. Babies are scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid has been wearing helmet for the last like 8 months because he had an extremely flat spot on his head. well, his head is nice and round now, but, he's really gotten used to having the helmet to protect his head. he's really not all that careful near, like, the coffee table. well, at least he's already (mostly) learned to walk, so most of those bad falls are over with. toddlers, man!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my wife is in very early stages of pregnancy which is very exciting but this is still the danger zone for miscarriages so we aren't telling anyone we know. still okay to post online about though. hope this one sticks (and that it's a girl)!!!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

PerniciousKnid posted:

Anybody else looking at covid stats and letting their dreams of sending the kids to school die?

it sucks but we're just risking it for daycare... we both work (and my wife is back in the office) and our kid is too active to not actively watch constantly. love the usa and its awesome society. at least we two adults have the mrna vaccine.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i can't wait until my kids are old enough to play paradox games :twisted:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Pobrecito posted:

lmao imagine having kids when the planets dying instead of spending your last days before the collapse doing drugs and playing video games

thats not very nice to say

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

not only do i have one kid already but my wife is pregnant with another :twisted:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i think most dogs are probably smarter than my kid but hes only 15 months old. eventually, he will be smarter than all dogs.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

no dog is smart enough to post on forums

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid is 16 months old and has been babbling for like at least six months, but still hasn't said his first word yet. he understands a lot, like a few days ago i was reading him a book that had the word caterpillar in it, and when i said that he walked over and grabbed the very hungry caterpillar and brought it to me to read it... which i think is pretty impressive for a toddler? anyway, i hope he talks soon, we're starting to get worried (but the doctor says not to worry until 18 months).

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i have read that circumcision can lower the risk of getting urinary tract infections and HIV (from sex, i dont think it confers any protection from IV drug use).

sex partners probably wont care, circumcision is getting less common in the US anyway.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

we have this book about going to the library and i guess my kid likes the art style or the way the words sound or something, he wants us to read it to him multiple times per day and sometimes like two or three times in a row lol. toddlers are so funny.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid is 17 months so he probably doesn't realize it's the same book. or maybe he does and just really likes it, who knows! it's funny either way. and honestly im just glad he loves being read to.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

jesus our kid didn't start sleeping through the night until he was more than a year old lol, so jealous! well, hopefully the next one is better at sleeping.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i am not really in love with the name my wife wants for our daughter but we are gonna go with it, im sure i will like it after she's born though

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

naming people is so fuckin weird.

like I wasn't wild about my second kid's name but it was something my wife really liked and it was fine.

now it's like "what else would he be called? that's his name. he's that."

yeah its like a normal name that many people have so im sure it will be fine, its not like mckarty or emberleigh or something lol. once shes born im sure itll be like oh yeah thats her name, thats what shes called.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

someone at the daycare we send our kid to tested positive for covid :toot:

thankfully it's not in the same class or building as my kid, so i'm not feeling too worried about him, but it really feels inevitable at this point that we're all going to get it

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

middle names aren't considered part of a legal name (according to the SSA, not sure if this is true more broadly). i don't exactly remember what the birth certificate they gave us to fill out was but i think there was room to write more than one middle name if you wanted to. especially if you wrote small.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

hmm... anyone have any advice for coping with pregnancy loss lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

what a great page snipe

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

well, getting my kid from daycare and watching him run around like a little toddler helped my mood. at least we have the one kid, we're still parents.

because my wife was relatively far along (start of second trimester), she has to go to the hospital tomorrow for a procedure to suck out the, uh, whatever is in there. her OBGYN said it would probably be too distressing/gory to just pass at home. thankfully she'll be under general anesthesia for that. this poo poo sucks man i would not recommend it!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid has recently learned the names for some of his body parts, so we've been asking him to point to like his nose, his mouth, his feet, his bellybutton... every time he does it we clap for him and he like screams with laughter. extremely fun.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

sonatinas posted:

yeah my pediatrician told me if the fall is usually from their height then just kinda watch out for anything unusual after. mine was also on an ottoman and then hit head first on it and then floor I was pretty shaken but then front of the kids head is reinforced I guess but I still became extra careful

when i was still a kid i read something, can't remember where, from a pediatrician who said something like "90% of the phone calls i get are from parents that are like 'my kid hit his head, the world is ending, what should i do' and the pediatrician is just like 'did the kid stop crying? is he or she acting fine? if so he or she is probably fine, kids are a lot more durable then you think' and that has always stuck with me. definitely helps whenever my kid falls and hurts himself.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Dreylad posted:

i shouldn't care because medical protocols are what they are in plague times, and at the end of the day ill see the kid all the time once she's born but i haven't been able to go to a single ultrasound and it kinda sucks

that does suck, i couldnt go to a lot of my kids early doctors appointments because they only let one parent go and my wife, since she was nursing, wanted to be the one who took him so she could ask the pediatrician questions about nursing and stuff. our kid was born like right when the pandemic started too and we were worried that the hospital wouldn't allow me to go. thankfully they let one support person be there.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid recently learned that "uh oh" is something we say when we drop or spill something, so he has been dropping poo poo and pouring out his water and saying "uh oh!"

it's very cute but also even messier than normal, which, considering he is only 18 months , is pretty drat messy

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

man i do not know how people manage without a support network, my kid is sick today so we are holding him out of daycare... my wife and i both have unalterable and important work commitments today. thank goodness my mom is local, she is watching him today while we work. what the hell would we have done if we didn't have her around? anyway, blessings upon all parents, grandparents, and broader support networks today. hope everyone can be safe and healthy today!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid has recently started a fun game when i pick him up from daycare, he will run most of the way towards the door when i knock (door has big windows in it so he can see), and then when they daycare lady unlocks and opens the door, he gets a poo poo eating grin on his face and runs to the other end of the room laughing his head off. its pretty funny, im just glad he looks like he's having fun and isn't, like, running away from me for bad reasons.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

when he first started daycare he would scream and cry at drop off, and also at pickup hilariously enough (because a bunch of other parents had knocked to pick their kids up, and not him, so he just assumed this wouldn't be for him either and would get upset). but after a few weeks he got used to it. the daycare has an app that they send us pictures and videos on, it sure looks liek all the little kids are having fun.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid never slept through the night his first year of life, always would wake up at least once... really until after he was fully weaned off breast milk. a whole year of night feeding! but now he is a champion, takes a two hour nap from 12 to 2, falls asleep immediately when we put him down at 7, and then wakes up at or sometimes even after 7 am.

we do want to have another kid but the prospect of another year of sleepless nights... lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

We have been giving our kid iron baby cereal that has been fortified with iron, I think the serving size is like 80% recommended daily value. It's not all that filling or calorie intensive so I also add a bunch of peanut butter to it, which my kid goes apeshit for.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yeah i think the research shows cosleeping is perfectly safe so long as you don't drink, smoke, or take other meds that might make you stuporous.

we never co-slept just because we didnt want the fight of getting the kid out of our bed at whatever point. my kid is also still alive so it was the right decision.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

love having a toddler old and smart enough to understand that you should say please when you want something, but young and dumb enough to not understand you can't have whatever you want if you say "please"

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i have listened to radio war nerd with my kid in the car, he seems to like john's voice. also the indian guy they've had on to talk about indian history, my kid seems to enjoy that guy's voice or accent.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

we recently switched my kid from a crib to a big boy bed, it has not been good for his bedtime. boy just stays up until past 8 now, won't stop playing in his room. hoping he gets used to the freedom and goes back to normal soon, it's only been like a week.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

hes two years and three months, and honestly was getting physically too big for his crib, hence the big boy bed. we still do our whole bedtime routine (bath, singing, story time) but after we leave his room he just makes a huge mess in there with his toys. it can get frustrating because he starts to get tired and pissed, but he won't lay down and go to sleep. like i said, hopefully it's just the adjustment, and he'll figure it out. he's still a great napper: we put him in there at noon and he passes out hard until 2 pm.

little guy also really likes watching baseball with me, at least for the few minutes his attention span can focus on it lol. sometimes he'll be like "watch baseball with daddy, watch baseball" when there's no game on. cute! love that he can talk now.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid started crying at like 5 am this morning, somewhat unusual these days as he's past two and normally sleeps through the night. i went into his room to see what's up and he had fallen out of his bed, and was just laying there crying on the floor. i picked him up and put him back in his bed and he said "i love you dada". parenting, sometimes, is good lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the only things my kid wants to watch is baseball (which he hasn't grasped is not available as a streaming model and he can't watch it whenever he wants) and daniel tiger. wish he would start liking sesame street again!!!

tragically today he is sick, no appetite and fussy. but it's also kinda sweet because he just wants to cuddle with me on the couch or in his bed. much easier than when he wants to run around the house for hours on end lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ikanreed posted:

Somehow reminds me there was a kid who bullied me in kindergarten and he got run over by an 18 wheeler halfway through the school year.

what da gently caress

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

very funny with toddlers who haven't mastered language yet

it's mine

okay, so this is yours?

no it's mine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

we just had the 20 week ultrasound, hope the doctor has good news for us on monday!!!