Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Organic Lube User posted:

I haven't looked around Prime much, mostly Netflix, D+, and whatever I can find on my Plex shares. But I'd love to join in some discussion here on kids shows and movies.

my 5 y/o daughter and i have enjoyed:

my little pony: friendship is magic (on netflix)
true (on netflix, there's like 4 or 5 different "series" but they're all the same show)
DC superhero girls (both the older stuff that i have only found on youtube, the current stuff on netflix, and the lego version of the same on amazon)
kipo (on netflix)
barbie dreamhouse adventures and go team roberts (on netflix, but i DO NOT suggest any of the barbie content pre-2017 / before dreamhouse adventures began)
trolls the beat goes on (on netflix)
chip & potato (on netflix)
octonauts (on netflix)
bubble guppies (on prime)
creative galaxy (on prime)
elena of avalor (on d+)
the descendants (movies on d+)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Flavius Aetass posted:

I ended up having a flat ban on YouTube, because all she wanted to do was watch these creepy videos of some lady unboxing and playing with toys.

lol i'm having the same experience and i do not understand at all the appeal of watching someone else play with a toys.

fwiw if you decide to renegotiate your stance, i've found "Mrs. Hands / Fizzy Fun Toy Show" (the same lady does both) to be the least obnoxious / least manipulative / least thinly-veiled-commercial of that type of show.

my daughter also really likes watching the youtube videos where someone just colors in pictures from coloring books while smooth jams play in the background - i don't get that either but she is really artistic on her own and insists that watching the coloring videos helps her have ideas about how to do her own art. they're completely inoffensive tho, so it's one of those things that's weird to me but i don't have any real reason to pull the plug on them

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Doorknob Slobber posted:

my daughter is very excited for potty training she ran into the bathroom and said she could do it all herself and i mistakenly was like you go for it!

poo poo everywhere no joke absofuckinglutely everywhere

the transition period from diapers to regular undies was a challenge for sure. i had to completely disassemble and deep rinse this padded elmo chair that she used to sit on probably four or five times when she was first making that jump.

then, when she finally started to understand the whole "feel like i need to potty > get up and go immediately, don't wait" she also realized she could weaponize her body fluids - for about a solid month in her daycare if her teacher made her upset she would intentionally just piss in whatever chair she was sitting in because she knew the teacher would have to clean it up and change her.

i mean i obviously nailed the "gently caress authority" message with her, but the creative way in which she flaunted the rules impressed me beyond my own expectations

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

T-man posted:

hello cspam parents,

While I myself am a dedicated antinatalist and plan to let my trashbrain genes die with me, my best friend who I love is planning to have a child as a single mother. As a BFF/future aunt, what kind of things can I do to help her out? What kind of support would ya'll like to have had? Financially she's doing f i n e, and I think she's going to make a great mom even outside of material conditions, so please don't focus on the queer nature of her parenthood.

for my wife, me going with her to all of the regular obgyn visits that will accumulate over the course of her pregnancy was big comfort. i don't know if your friend cares about that, but just having someone to go with her (even if you don't actually go into the exam room) might be a kindness.

immediately after the kid is born she's likely going to be in a lot of pain and not want to do anything at all, so if you're down to clean her house, do her laundry, do her dishes etc. that might be a big help. my wife and i were most grateful for people that made us pre-cooked meals (frozen lasagna or whatever) during her post-birth recovery as just having food available that neither of us had to cook ourselves was a huge blessing.

it's hard to give advice on how to help as a friend (as opposed to helping as a committed partner) because my wife and i don't have a huge social network and we didn't / don't get a lot of help from friends. it's difficult to suggest things that i myself have not experienced

Organic Lube User posted:

More importantly, how do I impress upon my kid that activism and protesting are important while at the same time eschewing the more radical aspects because I gotta make that bread for her?

you've gotta do what's right for your family first, but my wife and i have had great experiences taking our daughter to activist events that aren't explicitly likely to draw violent conflict. off the top of my head, we've taken her to women's rights marches, LGBTQ pride festivals, and other things that still promote a message of empowerment but aren't likely to become battlegrounds between the cops and anyone else.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

MacheteZombie posted:

What are y'all doing for college funds? I've setup a 529 (lol just in time for recession) that's about it.

that, plus on her birthdays & xmas sending circulating an email to all the family saying "hey if you really want to give her a meaningful gift that she won't outgrow and forget about in a matter of months, maybe drop some change in this bucket"

it doesn't get a lot of traction because grandparents want to watch her open presents and get hype about barbies or whatever, but occasionally some extended family puts a few benjamins in there

just another posted:

the bad: sleep training a baby with a light-sleeping 2 year old across the hall loving sucks
the good: my son told me he's a witch and also a dragon who breathes hot fire so that's pretty :krad:

my daughter had awoken between 4 and 5 am every single day for the first two years of her life. around the age of three we finally got it pushed back to about 5:30. just now after turning five we've gotten her back to 6 am. good luck and don't lose hope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

my wife and daughter are already getting on edge and they're on day 4 of quarantine. they're both fine with me individually, but somehow they've got a lot of tension between the two of them.

i'm obviously a broke-brain cspam poster but having to be inside my own house all day isn't really bothering me. i go out and run a few miles each morning just for the exercise since my gym closed, but being on quarantine in the house is fine on the main. just make sure to take breaks each day, go for a walk around the block at lunch, water your plants every morning, that kind of stuff.