Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Oh wow. I had no idea this thread existed. Our younger one just started teething but it's hard to describe how different it is with him compared to our first. It's weird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

oxsnard posted:

oh yeah, loving tayo the little bus, lmao

forgot about that bullshit show. It's horrid. The voice acting in the English series is done by the worst voice actors in Canada. Plus the "lessons" are garbage, little fuckers always apologizing and deferring to authority

Hahaha I loving hated when my son was into Tayo. Now he likes this thing called coilbook which has firetrucks and garbage trucks getting into adventures. It's weird but I don't mind it as much.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
We were pretty good about keeping our first off of screens until he could walk, not so much with the younger one. Oh well!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
We are moving across the country in 10 days and our 3 year old can sense things are changing so he's a little easier to cry than normal. We've explained to him as best we can what's going to happen and we try to make sure he gets a lot of attention to help him feel secure and it seems to work because he's excited to get on a plane. Anyone else been through this? He'll have more outdoor space where we're going so I think he'll love it.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I had a student who liked Sid the Science Kid. Sid's mom looks wall eyed and it's really freaky. I don't like the dance sequences.

I can proudly announce that my three year old not only has a favorite simpson's episode (Lisa's First Word), but he's able to quote from it. I am so happy..

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

AxGrap posted:

Baby is in the hospital with RSV and still breastfeeding so my wife has to stay there with her while I stay at home with the three year old. This stinks. New kid is pretty miserable and there isn't anything we can do about it except suck her nose every couple hours. Not worried about her dying or long term effects or anything but the hospital support is the best option for the baby. Feeling pretty helpless.

Wow. Sorry to hear this and I hope your little one gets better soon.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Another Bill posted:

Hang in there. I had a baby in the hospital and it's no loving fun, but it'll get better.

also:

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/1402958575270518786

I've considered leaving one of my shoes back there with the kids so I don't forget. I am TERRIFIED of forgetting they're back there but I also have to check that the door is locked and the oven is off half a dozen times before I can leave the house so it might be related to that.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Our two kids, 3 years old and a 7 month old, survived the move across the country without any meltdowns or even much crying. They did three flights. It didn't start off so great because on the first flight our oldest didn't understand why he couldn't just climb over people to get to his mom and he didn't sleep well so the poor guy was exhausted during the first layover. it was a really good feeling that the military family behind us had two of the screamiest kids ever so our kids looked awesome in comparison. The second and third flights were no problem, both of them slept most of the time. I am just honestly surprised and proud they did so well and it makes up for the fact that I haven't slept for 28 hours or so, I feel like I could go 28 more. I hate traveling and get extremely anxious when I have to fly so that doesn't help. The one thing I could have done better is get our oldest used to public bathrooms because he is currently terrified by them. He refused to use the bathroom or a diaper and held it for the entire trip. I have no idea how he did it.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

AxGrap posted:

We just got out of the hospital. We were in there for a week bc the three week old got RSV and had to be on oxygen and fluids and got pneumonia and had to be on antibiotics as well. This poo poo is no joke.

I'm glad your little one is out now. Is everything good?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
We are waiting a bit longer to put the 3 year old back in preschool. We are in a new part of the country but he is doing ok because there are more outdoor activities for him and just more space in general. I've been interviewing at different school districts and it's weird how little time some of them lost to covid compared to where I came from. We will vaccinate both boys for sure when it becomes available but the moderna shots made me so sick I worry about them!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
My son is doing the sleep regression thing now. He wakes up at 2 and won't go to back to sleep until 4. The toddler isn't doing much better. I realize I haven't slept a whole night since 2017. This is the real crack ping and I'm going to post through it.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Another Bill posted:

I'm here for you. We didn't sleep through the night from 2014 - 2018 and it really broke part of my brain. I'd say it took almost 2 years for me to recover and not feel like a basket case. Getting on a good workout schedule was what really helped get my brain and internal clock fixed fwiw. Also buying a good bed for my kid so we could just sleep next to them comfortably and let the other parent rest.

From a while back, but thank you! Currently their schedules are all messed up but we are getting there.

Pillowpants posted:

my 3 year old is autistic and can’t really talk much and I’m worried he’s not eating enough and Idk what todo

Our soon to be 4 year old used to eat a lot of different food but he's gotten picky. It's pretty much just pb & j.

Apologies if this is out of line, but I assume since he has the diagnosis that he's been evaluated so maybe you can get some assistance through your insurance. This might depend on what state you are in.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Our youngest is definitely better about sleeping but still figuring it out. We'll get a solid 7 hours of sleep in a few more years.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Good soup! posted:

My baby is about to turn 9 months old and barring a few regression periods, still sleeps from about 7 pm to 6 am

I will always be aware of this privilege and I have no idea how long it will last but she has been a great sleeper from day one and independence training was a godsend

I hear about this all the time and it just seems strange. It's nice to know that there are babies who can sleep through the night though! Waking up at 3 or 4 is just something I do now.

I honestly think the main reason our soon to be 1 year old sleeps better than the oldest is because he had a month long NICU stay after he was born but I'm not a doctor so I have no idea.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
The lab just called and said our one year old has anemia and I'm freaking out

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

fosborb posted:

I obviously don't know the specifics, but my kids did too and it was just some iron supplementation and that was it. the blood draws for the tests were by far the most traumatic part

Thank you man. I asked around and this seems to be the most common reason. He goes back to the doctor on Friday and they will check him out and let us know. Unfortunately it probably means another blood draw. Thank you for sharing!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

anemia isn't uncommon in kids that age, especially kids who are breastfeeding because breast milk doesn't have much iron in it

cook steak for dinner and let your kid teethe on a piece or something

Good advice. Thank you! He had some meat today. He likes chewing on the drum stick chicken bone. I may have panicked but my wife is unconcerned as usual. The doctor is running tests because he was born early and is still really small.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Another Bill posted:

I was anemic on and off through childhood/adolescence and I still grew up to be a 6'+ beefy boy, don't stress it too much and make sure they get more iron. :)

Thank you brother. Working on the iron situation today (gradually because he's picky). Thank you everyone!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Thanks for the advice regarding my son's anemia. The blood test didn't show anything too scary so he's eating iron supplements until the next blood test. He seems to like it, it's chocolate flavored.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Yadoppsi posted:

My sister is giving birth for the first time soon and asked the family to get gifts to help with the upcoming baby instead of her or her husband.

New parents, what were some things you ended up needing that you may not have thought you did or what are some things you knew you needed but got way too few of?

The ergo baby carrier with the newborn inserts.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
We got a roomba for Christmas. This is great, the 4 year old and the 1 year old have been chasing itnfor 20 minutes. I might actually finish this episode of Half in the Bag.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

bitmap posted:

my 2 year old got her face scratched up by some kid at daycare :mad:

Ah sorry. My son luckily hasn't had that happen but I'm not sure how I will react when something like that does.

My job has me going to lots of different schools and I don't see or hear about much bullying but I have about the same amount of anxiety over it as I do with covid.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
For the past few months I've had this nagging guilt about my son in preschool. We had to move across the country in June but he absolutely LOVED his old school, his teachers, and the kids there. He started at his new school in October and while he never really has a problem going, he's only recently started enjoying it. Today he told me that it was fun because a girl was chasing him and he had to run really fast. I'm so relieved that I had to share it here.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Hope your son recovers quickly. That's really scary.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

with our first kid we let him watch Kung Fu Panda when he was three and then daycare was like "um he's karate chopping everyone..." and that's when we realized we had to be better about media exposure.

I had to stop watching ufc a few years ago because my son started kicking me while it was on.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Meanwhile, my three year old just announced "I like sour things" while straight chewing on a lime so children are a land of contrasts.

Ha! When our son was two I was shocked that he was eating some of the spicy potato I got from the korean bbq place we lived by. He is picky now but doing better. The only frustrating thing now is our youngest can't quite figure out how to drink from a cup.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Another Bill posted:

She's interested in the Ukraine war so I'm wondering if 11 is too young for Slaughterhouse-Five. I think I was about that age when I first read it.

I don't think 11 is too young for that book. Go for it!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

I feel these times are effecting kids in strange ways. At the park, my 3yo said she'd found the corona virus:

Proceeded to chase her older sibling with it, advising she'd need a mask to avoid catching it.

This is hilarious.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I know this is first world blah blah white people problems but the school my older kid goes to just told us his little brother is too maldeveloped to attend kindergarten there next year.

God dammit he's loving five. He's fine.

I don't think this is legal if it's a public school.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

it's not a public school.

the whole reason we were prioritizing this school is because he has a bunch of allergies and the public schools here gently caress up enough that we are legit concerned they'll put him in the hospital on accident.

Ah that sucks. I am sorry. I had a student that I taught math to over the phone because his food allergy was so severe he could not be on campus.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Good soup! posted:

Cocomelon gives me serious Brazilian content farm vibes and i can't help but avoid it in favor of sesame street

Yeah I will veto cocomelon. Our oldest used to watch this thing called coilbook which I found less offensive than cocomelon. Even though it has the same vibes. He's found paw patrol and now that's all he ever wants to watch.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I no longer sleep. I think I'm over sleep and don't really need it. It's overrated. If my kids and wife are sleeping I'm good.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
My folks were visiting for a week and I just came
back from dropping them off at the airport. Our 4 year old is old enough to understand that his grandparents aren't here anymore so he was kind of sad this morning. We tried to prepare him for this and I think it worked because he's okay with it now. Parenting is tough!

Business Trombone posted:

all that poo poo is wild. it's not like that everywhere- in 10+ years of teaching I've never worked somewhere that had more than a codeword they would use on the announcements for an active shooter.
I've seen it used probably 10-15 times but all for gunshots in the surrounding ~5 block radius never a school shooter lol we got bigger problems

One school I taught at brought a company run by cops and vets for a training that taught me how to kill a guy with a three hole punch.

Greg Legg has issued a correction as of 12:54 on Apr 3, 2022

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

It took me a minute to realise you weren't talking about a forbidden martial arts technique.

lol

They also taught us how to use the environment for cover, but having played Half Life 2, I already knew how to do that.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Surprising how few teachers are prepared to abuse chest high walls so they can move from cover to cover to flank an opponent with an armored turret emplacement

I already had an active shooter drill for my room before the training, which was to run like hell to the McDonald's down the hill. I even had one of those collapsable wagons for my kids who couldn't walk. I think that company even approved this idea. America rules!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Sorry I worded that wrong. We never actually practiced it, the staff just knew that was the plan if there was an emergency.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

The Nastier Nate posted:

i dont trust school rankings.

unless your in like the bottom 10% worst school districts in America, a few notches up or down on the ranking wont make a difference in your kids life.

the best thing you can do if your in a lovely school district is spend an extra 15 minutes a day studying with your kid, or if possible hire a tutor once a week. (we found one who tutors in her spare time, she's a 3rd grade teacher and my son was soooo far behind because of the year of remote learning and she comes once a week just to help with homework and shore up some areas he's week in, mostly reading)

also you should probably do that even if you're in a good school district cause rich suburban parents can't really throw their kids to the wolves and say "well we pay all these taxes for a great school i shouldn't have to do anything"....which some do anyway

I work in a lot of school districts with people who have disabilities and people who are experiencing severe trauma at home. This seems to be the case. I met with the student council at a middle school in a district with a pretty bad reputation and I wouldn't have been able to tell them apart from the student council in a "better" school. Their parents are just more involved. Now, this is cspam so we probably all know why some parents aren't able to be involved. That's the way it is right now though.

Edit: For parent content, we met a nice family at the library who is on the same page as us regarding covid. Yesterday we met at the park and had a great time and now my son has a friend. It's nice.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Another Bill posted:

At some point it feels like you're being mean by not letting them do the same things as their peers.

Yeah. This is why the 4 year old gets to watch paw patrol.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Our oldest has started watching Blue's Clues, the old ones with Steve, and it's surprising how watchable this is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Another Bill posted:

2 nights? Buddy, my 2nd kid literally didn't let us sleep through the night for almost 4 years

:shepicide:

Hahaha yeah I haven't slept a full night since 2017. I'm not even sure what that would feel like anymore. There is a weird form of satisfaction that I get from taking our youngest into another room at 3 or 4 in the morning and letting my wife get a solid four hours of sleep, so it's not too bad.