Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Cool idea for a thread, I have two girls which is great considering the state of our hell country. After my first I was super lucky and was able to take leave for three months which was incredible and it's insane that this isn't the norm. I also had lots of random strangers who thought it was appropriate to come up and ask if I was out of work if I ever took her out during the week.

We had our second back in October and I was hoping to take more time off but my wife was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in November so that kind of hosed things up. But seriously parenthood is great and seeing my oldest grow into an actual person is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Ninety percent of the time my almost three year old forces us to listen to lion king or frozen soundtracks over and over. The only time she doesn't is when I take her downstairs to workout and I play RATM or something like that and she insists I put her in a dress so she can dance to it.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
I would kill for my kids to watch youtube shows, I have currently seen Monsters inc like 100 times and Bolt at least 50

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Flavius Aetass posted:

little kids probably shouldn't know that the society around them is hosed imo

be there to guide them toward empathy for their fellow man and the rest will follow in time

Yeah this is pretty much the answer. My oldest is three and we just make an effort to have a diverse number of children's books that we read to her (although all she wants right now is we are going on a bear hunt and I want to die) and lead by example with how we treat others. Her day care is very diverse as well which is great and she pretty much plays with everyone. We do make a huge effort to protect her from what's actually happening and even wearing masks we coded it as she is protecting others when she wears it.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
My three year old spent yesterday randomly crying. When asked she kept saying she was upset at the sun (in the morning it was too bright then it was going away later).

Parenting is so much fun

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Flavius Aetass posted:

If you use a pacifier, I highly recommend this kind. Not only is it cute as hell but it's hard to lose, it balances on the baby's belly so if they spit it out it doesn't fall, and it's a soft, comforting weight for them.

This is truth. My kids loved them. Buy an extra one so if you leave it at daycare you don't need to frantically drive there five minutes before they close.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

sonatinas posted:

well my kid is a doomer now, she asked us this morning is the earth a body and people are the infections. I guess it’s time to get her an account at age 4.

we just told her that we can be like good bacteria.

My three year old is super creepy right now, she has been laying down with our one cat and quietly talking about how he has a skeleton inside of him and she wants to see it.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Finally start to see some semblance of a routine going and yesterday my 18 month old was pushed down at daycare by another 18 month old and then had her face bitten really bad. Her nose is really scraped up, forehead is bruised pretty bad and she has a nice bite mark on her cheek. Home now with her for the day but day care is really minimizing what happened despite one of the workers telling my wife yesterday the other child was aggressive and had been more so this week.

Not really sure what the next step is but super pissed at getting a response of "sometimes kids push each other" which yes is true but an 18 month old who pushes someone then climbs on them to bite their face is wayyyy abnormal.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Yeah I feel bad for the other kid but not really sure what the answer is going to be moving forward. And trying to balance out what is actually right for everyone with pretty intense anger at the overall situation is pretty hard right now. Like legit my wife and I both work full time and that is barely making ends meet since she had cancer and was on chemo last year so we are in a decent hole. So we need daycare and that's the only viable option right now. Waiting to hear back from the director to set up a face to face meeting now

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
It's ok, I think I just got pretty frustrated since it seems that parenthood just seems to be careening from one problem to the next while I have no actual idea what I am doing. Both kids had a great day home with me today and despite her face being all busted up my youngest has been in a great mood today which has helped.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Good soup! posted:

My girl is two months old now and is all full of smiles and poo poo, it's so awesome

Not so awesome: the purple faced crying after her vaccinations lmao holy gently caress

I looked forward to vaccinations cause both my kids would always just sleep amazingly after they got them. I also told my 3 year old I was scared of needles last year when I got my flu shot and she held my hand while I got it. ( My wife is an ER nurse and bought one home for me so I didn't have to go out to get it) A month later when she and her sister had to get their vaccinations she held her little sisters hand and made sure not to cry so she wouldn't be scared.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

silvergoose posted:

4 month sleep regression, it's the worst.

We were super lucky in that our regressions weren't that bad. There was a week where our three year old had croup so I slept with her to help calm her down before she panicked and had breathing issues and I have never been that tired before. I think I was borderline hallucinating near the end of the week. Luckily my in laws came down near the end to help.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
My youngest (18 months) loves my folk music. Every night after dinner she points at the tv and says "music" and I put on Pandora and she will dance (spin in place until she falls down or just shakes her butt a lot). I have been on an Irish/scottish kick lately and she goes hard to the Paul McKenna band. I also love Dave Carter/Tracy Grammer and both my kids will dance to some of their faster songs.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Thoguh posted:

My wife and I are expecting our first kid in a few months and as I'm getting more serious about shopping I gotta ask, is there a secret code word to use for "Stuff that isn't covered in lace and bows but also isn't Tacticool chud poo poo" when it comes to looking for diaper bags and carriers and stuff like that?

This should not exist.

Ironically I used a spare range bag as a diaper bag since I am cheap and it had a shitload of pockets. (before everyone starts screaming at me, it had never been used for it's intended purpose, I just have a problem where I buy wayyyy too much gear)

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

a small mobile suicide machine

This is such a fantastic description of what kids are. When my oldest was around 14 months a baby bird fell out of a nest so I got a ladder and we made a big deal of getting the bird back into the nest and I literally turned my back for five seconds afterwards and she was all the way up the ladder. She had never seen a ladder before and was still somewhat janky when it came to walking but she just flew up this ladder. Looking at photos from even just 3 years ago I have aged so much.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
I put together a decent home gym right before our first was born and it was a life saver. You do have to get used to not having a schedule (I would get pissed if I was planning on lifting at 5am but couldn't if the baby woke up) but once I accepted chaos into my life I was ok.

I do love having my three year old work out with me. She helps load weight (5 and 2.5 lb plates) and is in charge of chalk. She also counts ie shouts random numbers out and loves benching. I also took an old ammonia bottle and put dried beans in it so she can shake it and take a big smell of it. Elitefts actually shared a video I took of her doing it because it is insanely cute.

I should be clear that I never make her work out with me if she doesn't want to and sometimes she will use that time to get some computer time in. My main goal is for her to find a sport she loves.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Everyone here should be thankful their kids did not discover If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. It's so bad but all they want to watch.

Also I love Bluey. My parenting style is best described as the dad from that show.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
I would never judge a parent for using a screen because let's face it everyone is just hanging on by a thread right now. Although I think I am cursed since it's really crappy out today and I am feeling pretty run down from working out/having a single beer last night with dinner and figured today would be a good movie day but neither child wanted that so I am currently lying on the floor while both kids are running around like banshees and the Magic School bus plays on the tv.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Over the weekend my 3 year old told me she was going to the store and she would see me later. What I didn't realize is she took the keys to my work car that also has my office key fob on it and hid them somewhere. No idea where it is and the amount of paperwork I have to do to replace them is insane.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

fosborb posted:

did you check the store? sounds like she may have left them there

I tried to but she only said she was going to the "chip store" and I don't know where that is. I asked her to draw me a map and she made a fart noise and ran away.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Yeah I just opened up one from work and I have no idea how to even access it and it's all just a giant pain

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

B-Rock452 posted:

Over the weekend my 3 year old told me she was going to the store and she would see me later. What I didn't realize is she took the keys to my work car that also has my office key fob on it and hid them somewhere. No idea where it is and the amount of paperwork I have to do to replace them is insane.

Update, it took a week but I found my keys. I should have used three year old logic and checked the bottom of the diaper bag because that is where she put them. She does know we always take the diaper bag when we go out so I am proud of her logic but could have done without the four hours of paperwork I did prior.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Good soup! posted:

This sleep regression is brutal

My youngest kids last sleep regression was not great. And she still randomly wakes up and gives a cry but generally goes back to sleep but I am immediately awake and will just lay there for an hour waiting for another cry. It hasn't been great.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
My three and a half year old had a meltdown because she saw me peeing and I had to tell her she wouldn't grow a penis. She is developing an amazing sense of humor though and it's fantastic to see it come out. We are not religious but my parents are and she was reciting a prayer and at the end she just yelled A POOP and started cackling like an insane person.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
My wife and I fed a feral cat for a year before we moved to where we are now and before the move got him fixed and he just refused to leave our house after so he came with us. And despite being very large and strong (he actually hit me so hard when we were trying to trap him that it bruised my leg through jeans) he is just a huge mush with the kids. He will gently hit them with no claws out if he gets over whelmed but that is rare and he lets them just manhandle him. I can't pick him up but my 3 year old somehow has and he was just super limp and happy.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

My oldest either watches bluey or sesame street reruns and I'm like " well thats parenting sorted out then".
Also I'm not an advocate of smart devices for kids but the Khan academy kids app is goddamn wholesome and great and actually is teaching my kid to speak English which, mind blown.

Khan academy is what we use when my oldest doesn't want to "work out" with me. She loves it and reads along with the stories now.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

my kids always laugh their asses off when they watch bart flush homer's wallet and keys down the toilet, and that makes me a bit nervous ngl

I posted it a few pages back but my oldest (3) took the keys to my work car (that also had an entry fob) because she wanted to "go to the store for chips" and it took me over two weeks to find them (bottom of the diaper bag)

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

buy these and stick them on all your keys and remote control's and you'll save yourself countless hours worth of aggravation and flipping over couch cushions

I bought those on day two of my missing keys. They are super handy

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Since all in person stuff is shut down my wife and I are doing some of the online classes from the mayo clinic to at least do something to prep and that's definitely a screenshot from the 'caring for a newborn' class I just took last weekend, it also made me wtf.

Honestly it is really easy for people to get into a routine or get focused on something they have to do and that's generally how kids get left in cars.

I saw a woman put a car seat with a child on the trunk of her car and then wrestle an older kid into his car seat and she got so focused on that she got into the car and I screamed and sprinted across a busy road to stop her from driving off. People just have insane brain farts sometimes and as someone who has not slept well since 2018 I understand that.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Last week we put our 18 month old and 3 1/2 year old in the same room for sleeping and made the old nursery a playroom and well the first night was great and now things are spiraling out of control since both kids have decided to play all night.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

We had a terrifying moment around the time our kid started eating solid food, we had given him raspberries or strawberries or something like that, which he loved -- but overnight he projectile vomited all over his crib. And it was red! Very frightening. But it was just from the fruit and not blood. Babies are scary.

God my youngest had raisins in her poop a few days ago and I was frantically calling my wife since it looked like dark blood clots.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
My youngest has croup so I slept on the floor next to her crib last night so I could keep her calm if she started coughing. I am assuming my back will eventually stop seizing up... But looking over and seeing her sleeping peacefully did make it almost worth it...

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

Also my daily post count

Eh mine was higher yesterday since I had a sick 18 month old lying on me all day. I try not to actually beat myself up over screen time since poo poo is super hard right now and honestly if my kids can watch a little sponge Bob while I try to get any of the thousand things that need to get done, so be it.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Anyone have recommendations for a video game on the PS4 that someone 3 1/2 could play or watch? My oldest keeps playing with the controller and wants her own video game

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Elissimpark posted:

Katamari Damacy Reroll?

This was a big hit thank you.

Rated PG-34 posted:

might enjoy a rhythm game like taiko no tatsujin

Will also give this a shot if she gets bored if katamari

B-Rock452 has issued a correction as of 21:44 on Jul 11, 2021

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Toddlers love hiding things in various places don't they? I found toddler demon's sippy cup in a bag stuffed in a cabinet.

The keys to my work car hidden in the bottom of the diaper bag... That was a fun week

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
I like this thread and I think the majority of posters here are great and it's fun to have a smaller thread like this to share parenting stories and advice with like minded people. Not our fault that people keep jumping in to poo poo post and vanish.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

My kid wants to learn "kung fu" and I figure since I was really into tae kwon do as a youth I can teach him some stuff.

I'm already sore.

In order to keep working out once my oldest stopped napping I started incorporating her into my workouts and put her in charge of my chalk. Plus she loved trying out the movements and in a few years I will buy her a kids bar. The highlight for me was she wanted a bottle of ammonia since I use it so I took an empty one and filled it with beans and she will shake it and sniff it and then pretend she got a hit of it.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

i had gone 2 years with no caffeine, and then my first child was born and i immediately became a coffee junkie

I actually just cut back on my caffeine intake, I was drinking like half a pot of coffee and several energy drinks a day. And just as soon as I get down to one cup of coffee a day both kids get sick and their sleep was horrible for almost 3 weeks and for five days I was sleeping on the floor in their room so whenever one would wake up I could just quickly comfort them and get them back down. At least I cut back enough that caffeine gives me energy again though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Good soup! posted:

bookmark my post for the inevitable regression or two years from now when she becomes insufferable lmbo

My almost two year old was an amazing sleeper but now refuses to fall asleep until like 10pm and regularly wakes up around 4 and just refuses to go back down. The past few days I have just sat on the couch with her and watched SpongeBob until it's time for me to get up. I am slowly dying from this.

B-Rock452 has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Aug 30, 2021