Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
yeah we just did the "almost out of diapers so let's try it out"

we are on night three. the first night was incident-free but the other two have been a disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

sonatinas posted:

we’ll probably try that when it gets warmer, we got the potty pads ready

a friends kid got it sorted by like age 2-3 and I’m like mother fucker

eh all kids are different. some kids can't stand a swampy diaper and others will just stew in it and not care.

one thing that helps is to do a double up of layers:

1) fitted sheet

2) mattress protector

3) another fitted sheet

4) mattress protector

this was when the kid pisses the bed in the middle of the night you can change them and then just tear off the top layer and put them back down without having to actually do the whole sheet change dance at 2 AM.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Willzilla posted:

For the longest time my wife and I were like “boo hoo why isn’t he more cuddly” and then a finger on the monkey paw curled and now he won’t nap alone. I’m stuck rn

sometimes my brother and I will try to plan a night where we get wasted and play Worms WMD while FaceTiming but it typically falls through because he's in this same situation but for bedtimes as well.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my kid told me I was the best pancake chef ever today. who am I to question him?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

it's funnier too (given the original intent of the comic) that she did it on a magna doodle

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my son is "student of the week" so today kids got to ask him questions and this one kid goes "would you rather go to school or stay at home with your mom and dad?"

And I'm thinking "this kid is a fuckin plant!"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

oh he immediately said "stay home".

he has snacks on demand. his little brother is always around to play with him. there's an iPad and Minecraft. why would he do anything else?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I mean it's not like either of my kids have been to a museum or a party or the zoo or a barbecue or anything for almost a year.

they can have a little Nintendo Switch as a treat.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I've just gone full swine and gotten my older kid into D&D (the game not the forum). he's gonna have culture and it's gonna be hot garbage.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

it's really fun figuring out which rules to enforce or how to simplify some systems so they're not super confusing for a six and four year old.

we also use Lego minifigs and draw huge maps on butcher paper.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

well, someone in the WhatsApp thread finally asked who was going to opt in to the lovely four-days-a-week, half day in-school option.

crickets. so I weighed in and said we aren't doing it. let's see if anyone else even responds.

e: this is Seattle

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

okay so of the parents who responded to the text thread it looks like four are staying 100% remote and three are definitely sending their kid to school.

one of the parents said they were staying remote so they could travel lmfao

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah don't normalize biting as a form of play or it's gonna be a bad time.

there was a serial biter at my kid's old daycare that was expelled from the facility for too many overt incidents. one time I was in class picking up my son and the kid bit his own mom while she was there to sign a literal stack of "incident forms" from previous chomps.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

it's my kid's second pandemic birthday party.

he's seven and I got him some books and some Lego. his mom made a cake with him and they decorated it to look like a pokeball.

he's gonna hang out with his brother and his parents today. like he does every day.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

just blasted "what did you learn in school today?" for my kids. poo poo slaps.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

the ergo owns. we used it with both of our kids until they were 2.

for diaper bags we just used a Filson bag we already had and then when we needed to switch for portability reasons we used a black nylon Patagonia bag that stuffed into its own pouch when it was empty.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

oh man I'm so glad to be done done done with diapers

we successfully got my youngest doing full-night sleeps in underpants without accidents and it only took a single week. fuckin crazy.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

we definitely used birthdays for this kinda stuff and it seems to work.

my seven year old magically decided on his birthday last year that he was ready to start wiping his own rear end and I'm like "cool because I hate this."

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Another Bill posted:

Definitely not Modern Family, despite having a gay couple as two of the leads. That show is seriously hosed by 2021 standards.

whoa is there a modern family anime because I will watch that garbage

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I think the worst part of the past year was discovering very quickly that one of my kids gets motion sickness if he's in a car for more than ten minutes. now he refuses to get in the car to go anywhere. we don't go anywhere anymore.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

CREATURE REPORT.

CREATURE REPORT.

CREATURE REPORT!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

number blocks is good too and some of the songs are good.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

also: Tumble Leaf is so drat cute and the voice acting is super good. like they use actual kids.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

today in virtual school my kid read a book about Earth Day that had a section about making sure you eat all of your food and save your leftovers so that there is enough food for everyone.

I stopped him right there and explained that people don't go hungry because he didn't finish his chicken nuggets. people go hungry because the systems in place are designed to fail the most vulnerable people who have no agency.

remote school is fun.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Good soup! posted:

My friends kids watch a ton of pbs and Wild Kratts was pretty cool when I watched it with them, I learned some cool poo poo about manatees and it was inoffensive without being annoying, thats really all I ask

And one of the villains has a good Gilbert Gottfried impersonation behind them, that was pretty fhnny

I like that Zack 100% looks like Martin Shkreli

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

wild kratts definitely had a problem with representation early on but they made it right.

they have two women of color who work on board alongside a bumbling stoner white dude and they eventually wrote storylines where Koki and Aviva actually do stuff or have responsibilities.

like even from the beginning the pizza-eating goof off Jimmy (that they sometimes refer to as Jay Z lmao) had the important job of driving the drat space ship.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It definitely depends on if you're white or not.

like I tell my kids about the police and what they're supposed to do vs what they actually do but I don't outright tell them "don't trust the cops" (yet) because they're 7 and 4.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

just now my 4 year old excitedly ran up to me and handed to me what appeared to be a small twig

"oh, what's this?" i asked her as i twirled it between my fingers

"it was in my butt"

:ohno:

lmao owned

my kids do this but it's with random dried up cat turds they find. but it's like a game where they say "hey what's that? over there?"

and I go check it out and it's a turd the geriatric cat left behind and everyone (but me) laughs and laughs.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

My kid's teacher has a migraine so he can't run a remote class today.

His solution was to email an impossibly long link to my personal email address to join a different teacher's Teams call. Tried a few times but couldn't get it working.

We just said it was an unseasonal snow day in May.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have a four year old who sometimes won't go to sleep until 11:00. sucks rear end

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

the other day my buddy who has a two year old was asking me about my kids' bedtimes because he was having trouble getting him to sleep before 9 and I was like "oh sometimes we go to 11 o'clock. especially if I'm handling both kids solo".

and he said "so when do you have time to yourself?"

and I said "oh I don't. or I stay up until 3 am watching KITH and regret it."

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

we were really good about 8:30 bedtimes with the first one and then it all fell apart when the second one moved into a big bed and they started sharing a room. pandemic lockdown just made it worse.

oh yeah and they both want to be cuddled to sleep but neither of them want dad. just mom. cool.

these days I feel successful if I'm out of there by 10.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I also remember being yelled at to GO TO BED as a kid and then just sitting in the dark alone feeling abandoned and then falling asleep feeling sad and I don't want to do that to my kids.

most of the things I refuse to discipline my children over are things that I was disciplined over that I now realize don't matter at all.

like here, my house: "don't give a gently caress if you eat the food I made. I'm eating this soup it's delicious. you can wait ten minutes for chicken nuggets Dude, be patient."

and my house growing up: "eat that soup. you cannot leave the table until you eat the soup. see you in an hour."

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

oh yeah we got a rock tumbler and that was a fun lesson in waiting.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I was hanging out with my older brother last night and he has one kid. a two year old.

I invited him to the driving range and he said "oh I can't I have to watch [son] and [wife] can't do it solo."

they want to have a second one. it's the worst idea on the planet.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I like Nature Cat.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I think you need to have cable or pay for something to get Paw Patrol because it's never even an option in anything we typically use.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

this morning I was at the playground with my kid and I saw a guy jovially loading up his truck with all sorts of camping gear and stuff as three teenagers played around and did nothing to help him.

then I kinda notice he was in shorts and flip flops. and then I saw him give his wife a hug, the teens piled into the car, and he was set free.

he looked so happy.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

both of my kids wear the same size clothes now and they don't mind swapping outfits and it's made laundry time so much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I read a book called Rad Dad that was pretty cool. just had some neat anecdotes from dads. Ian MacKaye did a piece for it even.