Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Thank you for starting this thread, I'm kinda surprised PHIZ KALIFA didn't start it first based on his posts in the A/T Parenting thread.

I've been listening to the Parents Just Don't Understand podcast lately, which reviews children's media from a leftish perspective. It's been useful for helping me justify putting my foot down with bootlicky stuff like Paw Patrol and pointing me towards stuff like True and DC Superhero Girls for my 2 year old daughter, who I am planning to train as an antifa supersoldier.

Organic Lube User has issued a correction as of 00:33 on Feb 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Oh yeah surprisingly Amazon prime has good original content. Stinky and dirty, tumble leaf, creative galaxy.

I haven't looked around Prime much, mostly Netflix, D+, and whatever I can find on my Plex shares. But I'd love to join in some discussion here on kids shows and movies.

The DC Superhero Girls show has been great because it's lively enough to engage my 2 year old daughter's attention regularly, so hopefully by the time she is actually following characters and narratives she can start picking up on some from this show, which portrays women in a real, empowered light, while all the male characters tend to be fuckups who need the help of the girls. It also has kind of a Clone High vibe, since it's all DC characters but placed into a highschool setting.

On the flip side, Boss Baby is absolute succ garbage. I'm pretty sure kids raised on the movie and show will turn into Proud Boys and tradwives.

I can't wait to get her into Steven Universe and Gravity Falls. Maybe even Doctor Who, if I can ever get her interested in live action stuff.

Also, when is a good time to start teaching her the foundational philosophical concepts of Marxism-Leninism? Is there a Communist Manifesto board book out there? I've already got the graphic novel version of A People's History for when she's old enough to grok it.

Organic Lube User has issued a correction as of 02:52 on Feb 13, 2020

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

That poo poo makes my blood boil. I caught an ad for some flu medication that portrayed a teacher toughing out her flu symptoms and I started yelling at the TV to ask the void why that idiot was exposing her students to the loving flu in the first place.
gently caress America, gently caress pharmaceutical ads, just gently caress all of this.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

silvergoose posted:

I feel this pretty hard. I gotta be really careful because several people are relying on me directly for literally everything.

More importantly, how do I impress upon my kid that activism and protesting are important while at the same time eschewing the more radical aspects because I gotta make that bread for her? I'd love for her to see her father always fighting for the right things, but actually doing so feels like it puts her at risk.

So I guess I need to find a workable middle ground. Perhaps just limit myself to behind the scenes support roles, and going to DSA meetings and such. But that feels like it could turn into more of a timesink than I'd like, and take me away from spending time with my daughter.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Hey thread, come back!

Anyone know any early homeschool resources for lefty parents? I feel like most homeschool stuff is heavily, *heavily* salted with bullshit from right wing evangelicals, so its not easy to know where to start her off that wont wind up in "...and that's why the poor deserve to suffer!" land.
My kid is 2.5 and precocious as all hell and I definitely wanna direct that energy towards good rather than evil, and the way things are shaping up we probably won't bother with any sort of physical schooling. Even if the US doesn't have a civil war, and if the pandemic passes once there's a vaccine, our schools will probably still just turn back into shooting ranges.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

ikanreed posted:

I'm not sure how much you need to weight education to the left (except history and social studies, which tend towards the hagiographic for kids)

If my kid doesn't know the proper construction and use of a guillotine by the time she's in high school, I failed as a father.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

My kid's been demanding I play LazyTown's "You Are A Pirate" song/video every time we go to the playground and, honestly, I think she may have found a viable career at three.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Welp guess I'll be homeschooling my kid for the next few years. That's horrifying.

But seriously, I need leftist homeschool materials for Pre-K, or at least materials that aren't riddled with religious bullshit (liberation theology might be okay). Between the virus and the inevitable return of mass shootings and DeVos just chainsaw-loving the curriculum, I feel like it's insane to send a child to school. It's like sending them to loving Hogwarts now.

Organic Lube User has issued a correction as of 04:00 on Oct 28, 2020

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I have no problem with youtube per se, but I hate the algorithm and my wife makes me feel like I'm Stalin Incarnate any time I move to change the video when the kid taps on something insipid.
Like those two little russian brats that act utterly insane. I hate them so much. Blippi is fine, at least he teaches stuff.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I'm fully planning to homeschool if this poo poo doesn't resolve or if a new one pops up. My heart aches for those who won't have that luxury.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

pancake rabbit posted:

to get million dollar checks from youtube if i had to field a guess

Yeah that part's no weirder than Mr. Rogers being childless and hanging out with kids and in kids' places. And yeah he did some gross out humor back in his early days. It's dumb and bad but you know what? My kid really liked when he would excitedly say aloud all of the colors of the steps at the fun zone, and I appreciate that. He doesn't do that stuff any more and has said he regrets it, so until I hear something more about him he's fine in my book.
The asspooper can stay, but can we launch this Ryan kid into the sun?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Good soup! posted:

Thanks everyone, truly :3:

It's nuts, it's no joke how your brain just instantly rewires itself the moment you see the kid. I had feared I might have mourned pre-fatherhood, the ability to do anything at anytime and that sort of thing, but she is such an amazing little baby that she just instantly became my world and I'm just absolutely obsessed

I used to be able to enjoy all sorts of gritty horror and psychodramas but now anything with a child in peril has the potential to gently caress me up. Still not sure I can get through Raised By Wolves. That first episode was grim.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I guess we've lucked out, we don't regulate the kids screen time, she does it herself. She will spend like 20 minutes on her tablet, then put it down and find some toys to play with.

Also I'm gonna have a real hard time being mad if my kid flips off a teacher. I'm gonna laugh my rear end off for sure.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Now teach her about chemtrails.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Hope you got some obsidian blades around...

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I'm honestly not denying my kid much of anything during the pandemic.

She's gonna be so spoiled.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I've just gone full swine and gotten my older kid into D&D (the game not the forum). he's gonna have culture and it's gonna be hot garbage.

Children should never come into contact with D&D.

Send them straight to CSPAM.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Can't wait til my kid gets kicked out of zoom school for saying "inshallah."

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Screens are a part of our world that kids will have to adapt to, including adapting to resisting device addiction. I don't really feel like keeping my kid from seeing screens will help prepare her in any way to interact with the world.
I also don't feel like I should keep her from other pernicious devices that have previously been railed against, such as radio or chalkboards.

Thus far she seems to have healthy limits for using her devices. She always puts down her tablet on her own after like 20 minutes tops, and goes to do something else.

I have actually started to slide the opposite direction on the spectrum (heh), and kinda feel like unilateral screen bans border on abusive. Like intentionally not teaching your kid how to read sorta thing.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Don't forget the nap strikes.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Someone gave my child a Christmas edition Big Mouth Billy Bass we found while we were cleaning out the garage and oh boy let me tell you, I will take any aforementioned terrible YouTube channel 24x7 straight to my brain than listen to one second of this demonic artifact. My only hope is to encourage the child to play with it so roughly that it breaks.

I'm pretty sure the design and construction of this device came from an ancient tome of unspeakable evil. No toy or video to date has managed to produce such a visceral reaction in me.

Join me in my pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5MShp3FUv8

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

The first Billy Bass being assembled broke one of the seals of the apocalypse.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I'm honestly happy whenever the kid watches Teen Titans Go. It's probably the least awful thing she consumes.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I forbid the Paw Patrol cartoons but family keeps giving her the toys and I'm not a monster enough to take a toy away from her once she has it if it's not directly dangerous (obligatory "trusting the cops is suicide"), but I make sure she knows that Chase is a very bad doggie who is mean to the good and useful doggies like Rubble and Rocky. If Paw Patrol excluded the pigdog, I'd probably be fine with it, since firefighting and recycling and rescue operations are all good and fine things. In most situations in the show, Chase seems to only be useful at bossing everyone else around while taking the credit.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I'm blessed with a kid who immediately runs and grabs our shirts to wipe her mocos away, but the flip side is that if she gets even a drop of water on her shirt she disrobes.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Found in a coloring book someone gave my daughter, presented for your review...

Organic Lube User has issued a correction as of 18:06 on May 30, 2021

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I'm not the kinda rear end in a top hat to take a toy away from my kid but I can drat sure encourage rough play and teach her to treat Chase as the villain.

Oh oops you didn't pick up your chase toy from the yard before daddy mowed oh dear oh me oh my.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Hedenius posted:

My son has been in daycare for most of the pandemic here in Sweden. The Swedish strategy for dealing with the pandemic has basically been to pretend that nothing is happening and issue “recommendations” that nobody follows.

My wife works with the COVID testing here and is very familiar with Swedish statistics. And there’s no real need to worry about kids in daycare. You see a bunch of articles about how children under the age of 18 are getting infected and spreading the virus. That’s true but is mostly teenagers. Younger kids are remarkably bad at getting and spreading COVID.

We (Sweden) didn’t do poo poo about the pandemic and kept daycares open the whole time. My wife’s from China and we have a bunch of friends in Wuhan so she takes this very seriously. But since she works with this and knows exactly how the virus spreads she doesn’t have and problem with sending our son to daycare.

Should probably be low on your list of things to worry about.

:chloe:

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Taima posted:

I'm no expert

Shoulda stopped the post there, chucklefuck.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

My kid consumes a lot of Peppa and Bluey, and has definitely picked up some accents. She has the Australian habit of replacing any vowel with every vowel.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Why is anyone even planning on in person school being a thing in a month? Lol. Lmao.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

New thread gang tag: Foreskin Cumsocks.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

They're not supposed to smoke???

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

What's the proper response when your 3 year old is playing on the playground and another kid comes up to her and tells her "You don't need that mask, covid isn't real"?

I wasn't sure how to get out of that one without starting a fistfight in front of my kid with the other kid's parents, so we just had to leave.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Good soup! posted:

Vent incoming

sure do love how HBO Max streams audio/video fine for absolutely everything - movies, shows, shorts, etc - except MOTHER loving SESAME STREET, what the gently caress is it with this app and the one thing I might put on my daughter, nieces, and nephews occasionally

Within a loving minute the audio and video goes insanely out of sync and never corrects itself and PBS Kids has the same god damned 7 or 8 episodes for an entire month or two and rotates a pitifully small number out when they premiere so having to hear the same poo poo over and over again arrrrrggh

HBO's app already runs like pure poo poo on both my newer Roku box and my older Roku TV from 2015, but I seriously don't get how only one loving show has actual sync issues and nothing else

Just get Plex and find a share with a bunch of kids content, and never look back.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Tzen posted:

lol on my first child we had the frida and some other bulb type suckers and none of them worked a drat. I became the disgusting parent that covers their kids mouth and sucks their nostrils out with my own mouth. Within a second everything is out and I just spit it out into a tissue. That became the norm and we didn't bother with bulbs/suckers for our second child. gently caress typing it out makes me realize how gross it is. Whatever it's effective.

I will change the grossest, most rancid, dripping diapers while whistling, but this made me gurge in my mouth a little.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I'm just now getting to check out Disco Elysium. A half hour a night. :negative:

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yesterday my kids were wrapped in a blanket watching tv with each other and my older one says to his brother "brother, I love you" out of nowhere and it's so striking how affectionate they are with each other compared to my siblings growing up.

Well our generation also doesn't need commercials every night at 9pm to remind us to check and make sure we know where our kids are, and to not hit our kids. Unlike those who raised us. Millennial households seem way more attentive and caring.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

At this point I feel like Im committing child abuse just raising my kid here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

You put red marks on my kid and I'm not sure I'm not a reasonable enough person to not burn down your building. With you in it.