Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Good news: I got out of the gacha game early hell and can let it run on auto-grind now!
Bad news: There's a leak coming out of the foundation somewhere and until the house gets repiped that means I can't stream with the mike on without the noise gate muting the gently caress out of me so I can be heard over the sound of a billion industrial-sized fans running 24/7 to dry out my floors and walls. (And, also, you know, the giant hole this is going to burn in my wallet, but priorities.)

Anyway, this means I have time/energy to stream Void Dimension again, so I will be going live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Once again live.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, I always see these messages too late to actually watch. I guess I'll just wait for the proper updates!

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man, I always see these messages too late to actually watch. I guess I'll just wait for the proper updates!

The videos are archived for I think 6 weeks (longer for highlights) or so but I'd wager the only entertainment you'd get out of that is what the auto-captioner makes of my mumbling.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Once again live, I will try to make it to Meat Fort today but who knows if I can make it that far before I decide it's more fun to finish the randomizer "race".

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

One of the downsides of not having regular encounters on unless I want them to be is that I'm always a little bit behind when it comes to my spending budget; having blown all of my spending money to update spells at Rugor, I stopped to grab some cash so I could afford a gear upgrade.

I tried throwing a Phoenix Down at Tyrasaur, but either the native FFV miss chance happened or that particular exploit has been removed from the fight.

And being unsure of whether or not I can even rescue Golem unless I ran into him at the bottom of the mountain, I made a trek back down to get punched in the face, but Drakenvale was otherwise unremarkable as a dungeon.

Without planning to, I was in equipment that made me immune to everything except Old (and I had White Magic to deal with that), so Dragon Grass was also not a problem.

Gil Turtle, alas, still hits too hard and too fast, especially given how underleveled I am compared to where I'd be in vanilla.

Ship Gilgamesh fell in battle before Faithful Pal Enkidu without comment from either of them. I'm not sure if the vanila game had dialogue for this potential outcome, but either way I consider this a bit of a missed opportunity.

I only bother to farm 2 Wall Rings at Barrier Tower, expecting to be able to get more from elsewhere later and/or not needing more than 2. I sure could have used them against Atomos, because it has been buffed--it now throws Meteors when everybody's alive, and will still cast the occasional Comet or Demi when someone's taking a dirt nap--but I was still able to end the battle before anyone was removed from the battlefield.

I grab Shoat and promptly forget that I did for the rest of the stream.

Now that the ru/ra/ga spells have been folded into their repsective elements as a single spell, Summoners feel kind of nerfed compared to vanilla, but maybe I wasn't using the right loadout to maximize damage output or the Crystals just have a ton of magic defense (and it wasn't like I had Black magic in this particular battle for a direct comparison) and I no longer have All the Money to throw at the problem.

Because I gave Galuf the ability to always survive at 1 HP if he had at least 1/8th of his max health and two different elemental absorbing rings, he technically never died in the Exdeath cutscene battle. :roflolmao:

With some more levels and abilities under my belt, I was able to overcome GilTurtle.

By the time I was in Meat Fort, I had experimented with loadouts enough to realize that unless something absorbed ice, it wasn't worth it to switch Krile (who is still in her default name because I haven't thought of what else to call her) out of weilding lances as she was pretty much always jumping every turn; however, a weapon's native element still does more damage than using Imbue as a Mystic Knight, which makes Imbue only worth using if I'd locked myself out of the Item menu for whatever reason. Meanwhile, Carbuncle proved to be no obstacle at all thanks to, of all things, Geomancer--with bosses being no longer immune to fractional damage, Sonic Boom was capable of doing damage in the 5-digit range until I started chopping through more of Carbuncle's HP.

Box Gil also didn't give me any problems.

But Exdeath II is still walling me hard. He is too fast, jams up the field with painful damage over time effects, and I couldn't find a winning configuration of classes (having forgotten about Geomancer). The next time I stream this mod, I will give a few more honest tries before resorting to cheat codes, because the alternative would be to move onto the next mod while I grind the hell out of my team offline.

(Meanwhile, in randomizer land, Team SNES finished off Istory and started exploring a bit of the Void to see if they could handle it: they can, sort of, but I'd really like to find Rapid Fire so I can use my Chicken Knives without worrying about the flee chance. Team GBA, meanwhile, is making incremental progress in the bonus dungeon, and is parked in the right spot to farm Running Shoes, so that's what I'll be doing the next time I stream that.)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Genji Book? That's not something that existed in the base game.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

Genji Book? That's not something that existed in the base game.

Probably so there's a whole set of Genji equipment (weapon, helmet, armor, accessory), and the book is very likely this one.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

dotchan posted:

Probably so there's a whole set of Genji equipment (weapon, helmet, armor, accessory), and the book is very likely this one.

I thought so, though it's still a pretty big change since Genji equipment normally didn't have weaponry in it. Making it the actual Tale of Genji is hilarious though.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

I thought so, though it's still a pretty big change since Genji equipment normally didn't have weaponry in it. Making it the actual Tale of Genji is hilarious though.

The "weapon" part is purely my own speculation; I just checked, and the Tale of Genji is an accessory.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Finally got around to going live again.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Void Dimension has walled me so that's going on the backburner; I hosed up with savestates on the randomizer race and lost about 3 hours of progress on Team GBA's side; it's time to move on to the next thing.

(I was going to showcase this hack next but so far it has turned out to be a bullshit difficulty hack where everything hits like a truck and the only way to win is to grind, and I only have the patience for one soul-crushing grind at a time.)

Career Day is an open* world randomizer for FFV where your goal is to collect the four tablets in order to traverse all the way through the Void to fight TED and NED (or, if you decide to shuffle NED into the boss pool, a free Goblin fight), with asterisk added because unless you turn on the option "start with all key items", some areas (for example, the Ancient Library) are still locked at the start.

I set up the randomizer as follows:
  • Randomize job color palettes (why not?)
  • Place all rewards
  • Enforce all jobs
  • All words open
  • No reward tiering (as IMO at least half the fun of randomizer is seeing a late game weapon super early and vice versa)
  • No randomized weapon stats/abilities/etc. (since I turned reward tiering off)
  • Full loot randomization
  • x4 EXP multiplier so I don't have to grind forever and a half
  • Lenna renamed to Luck, Galuf to Chance, Cara to Whimsy, and Faris to Capris (Bartz will be named "Random")

If you'd like to play along at home, the seed is 2784096.

My short term memory has been shot to poo poo, so I also stick a tracker on screen so I know where I've been and where I haven't. I then proceed to accidentally click away many locations early because whoever made this tracker decided that right click should be "mark location as completed" rather than "open context menu" and I tend to default to muscle memory when not paying 100% attention to something. :argh:

(I ended up enjoying the game so much that, since I started streaming early in the say, I finished the entire thing in one sitting save the super-bosses. To save on screenshots, I'm doing a very abridged summary.)

In open mode, the game drops you in World 1 Tycoon Castle with all (non key item locked) modes of transportation available. We could, theoretically, go anywhere we like, but since the party is a measly level 1 I'm going to open chests until I find stuff that won't get me pasted if it turns out I have to go to World 3 early in my run. (What I didn't know at the time, and I didn't find out until later, is that certain NPCs will give you hints towards progress, so if you're impatient and don't want to be a completionist, you can consult these NPCs to get a better idea of where to go.)

In addition to gaining Jobs and learning abilities the usual way, any box, shop, or NPC gift (such as songs) can also contain Jobs you don't have or abilities you may or may not have otherwise learned yet (in addition to spells, items, or equipment), and upon pickup everybody in the party can use it, but in my opinion it is still worth mastering Jobs for the bonuses this passes on to Mimic and Freelancer if/when you pick it up (and since I chose to enforce all jobs I know I'll have those eventually). This, combined with the ability to turn encounters off, meant I spent most of the game not having enough money to spend until I needed to grind for whatever reason, but eventually I ended up practically swimming in coins thanks to lots of easy to overcome enemies having drops and steals that sell for tons of dosh.

The Beginner House NPCs have had their dialogue changed to reflect advice that would be relevant to playing Career Day.

The particularly neat thing about this randomizer is that (as far as I know) every boss (including all of the summons you can encounter as fights, so you no longer need to look for Ramuh, Golem, or Shoat) except Omega, Shinryuu, and Exdeath (though Exdeath can be shuffled into the boss pool) can show up in any location with their stats adjusted accordingly. However, since so many damage formulas are reliant upon level, I decided to be super boring and attempt bosses pretty much in the vanilla order so long as I could access the area. (And since I don't want to jam the update with nothing but boss screenshots, I compiled who showed up in what spot on Google Docs.)

Keep in mind, though, being scaled to be inline with the area doesn't necessarily mean a later boss is necessarily easier if they show up earlier: in my case, Tyrasaur spawned in Ifrit's spot and I lost the damage race because I had no answer to its ??? attack and every other attack also hit like a truck. (Shiva spot Crystal Guardians, Big Bridge Gil spot Apocalypse, and Melusine spot Ship Gil also gave me trouble the first time around.)

The bosses also keep all of their particular gimmicks.

Stream spectator Braegh let me know that Torna Canal wasn't actually locked by a key item while I was agonizing about where to go next, as indicated by the green dot on the map (and circled post screenshot by yours truly). Feeling like an idiot, I promptly headed over and super-rolled Magissa and Necrophobia. (Braegh then proceeded to stick around and offer very helpful advice for both running Career Day in general and my run in particular. Thanks, Braegh!)

(Something I also made sure to check: all of the locations stay open even after you beat the boss--in the case of Wrecked Ship you have to go through Torna Canal, and the Ronka Ruins is accessible via airship in any of the world--so you can always go back somewhere to pick up Blue Magic or grind for drops/steals as necessary.)

Next time I really should at least check all shops and non-dungeon chests before diving into boss battles, because Castle Surgate (and other towns sharing the same shop pool) was offering Chicken Knives for sale. At 20000 a pop this was no walk in the park, but it was still something I could have grabbed early, since the knives come pre-primed to do max damage, which meant my Knights and Freelancers could use Brave Blades.

Fighting Sol Cannon outside of World 1 creates a pretty funny graphical glitch where the character sprite is replaced with a golden but ghostly version of the Airship sprite that took me forever and a half to recognize what it was and realize why it happened. As memetically funny as it is to be walking around as a spooky phantom airship, it also looks terrible so I eventually fixed it.

Each time you get a tablet, you can already turn it in at either World 2 or World 3 Kuzar castle for the rewards there (which always show you what they are so you don't have to worry about guessing), and once you have all 4, you can go all the way into the Void and challenge Exdeath. At the time of checking, I'd forgotten that Kuzar Castle ability rewards are progressive (in the case of this screenshot, if I already have White Lv. 1 then I'd get White Lv. 2 as the next reward) so I only grabbed the three I thought to be most useful to me and then marked Kuzar castle off the tracker.

In World 3, Boco can be picked up at the entrance to Pirate's Cave as per in plot.

I'm not sure if it was the luck of the draw or a QoL change, but the exploding Karnak castle only had 1 monster-in-a-box encounter for me.

I didn't know ahead of time that the Gargoyle fights are also part of the boss shuffle pool, so seeing Apocalype/Catastrophe here took me completely off guard.

Incidentally, Gil Turtle is in his usual spot, but World 2 always being open means you are free to come back and destroy him with a high level party. :black101:

Meat Fort Exdeath is an optional battle, but beating him makes the TED phase easier and lets you pick one of three key items (not sure if those are also randomized or not) as your reward. Since I wanted to visit Mirage Village, I took the key item that would grant me access.

The "Chicken Knife or Brave Blade" event is still there in World 3 Moore, and each box actually does give you a different result.

With the last Job--Summoner--finally unlocked at Istory Falls, we now get to see what fashion disasters our characters have turned into. Overall, the recolors fall into the following categories: 1) pretty much unchanged from the vanilla version, 2) surprisingly appropriate for the class, 3) wouldn't look out of place in a real Final Fantasy game, 4) ~fabulous~ , 5) unfortunately skin-toned as to make the character look nude, 6) terrible laundry accident, or 7) oh dear God I think I'm going to go blind. My personal favorites are: "Literally a Super Saiyan" Monk!Bartz, "Definitely a Harmless Little Old Lady" Thief!Krile (and the only Thief that actually would be inconspicuous), "Tiny Godzilla" Dragoon!Krile, the Pajama Party Ninjas (though Faris, in deep blue, is the closest to what a historical ninja might have worn at night), "We Swapped Outfits for a Day" Blue Mage!/Red Mage!Faris, "Not Fooling Anybody" Red Mage!Krile, the repeating theme of green-tinted Blue Mages (appropriate since in Japanese and Chinese, 青 is more of a bluish-green color and can be translated as blue or green depending on the context), "Just Came From a Graduation Ceremony" Summoner!Galuf, "Some Days I'm a Flight Attendant" Ranger!Krile, "Going to Octoberfest" Ranger!Galuf, "That'd Better Not Be a Feather Boa Made Out of Boco" Beastmaster!Lenna, "The Stars and Stripes Forever" Geomancer!Krile, most of the Chemists (except Krile, who's more of a commando) looking like they spilled their various :2bong: all over themselves, "Summer of Love" Bard!Galuf, "Saturday Night Fever" Dancer!Galuf, and while Galuf doesn't have a Mimic sprite the palette makes him look like The Dude from Big Lebowski.

Another really nice QoL change the randomizer added was, to my pleasant surprise, locking Omega in place so I don't have to worry about accidentally triggering a fight with him.

While fighting Omniscient (who spawned in Azulmagia's spot), my attention slipped and I had Bartz use Rapid Fire when I didn't mean to. Fortunately, this turned out to be the last hit. Phew!

That crystal there is a bonus superboss added by one of the modders; I will report back on what it's like when I've successfully overcome it.

I have no idea if Exdeath's sprite is randomized to show either the armored version or the tree version.

I forgot about NED's fake hit points, and either the RNG hated me or the randomizer tweaked X-Fight to favor the first target picked so Bartz kept wiffing, and it was my Chicken Knife dual weiding Dancer that ended up carrying the battle.

Having overcome the main game, I am given a code to unlock Phoenix Tower so I can rapidly grind to max levels in order to try the optional superbosses Omega, Shinryuu, and the custom battle mentioned above.

Final thoughts: I started out as a skeptic who wondered if you could really turn FFV into an open world randomizer and ended up coming around to seeing why people enjoy it even if I'd still probably never play the game that much out of order unless forced to do so. Depending on the settings and the luck of the draw, someone with way more gameplay experience and in-depth knowledge of the game mechanics could blow through one of these babies at least as fast a speedrun (and probably even faster), but every time you play a new seed you get a fresh experience, giving FFV even more replay value. You can even theoretically do a Four Job Fiesta (or any other self-imposed challenge) using this or any of the other randomizers. Compared to the two planned mods I've played so far where I actively dreaded revisiting them (to the point where I'm about to give up on the former and will not even showcase the latter), something about these randomizers tickle just the right spot in my brain to put me in that optimal video game playing flow state. I reluctantly recommand Void Dimension at least up to Meat Fort because somebody might like the design philosophy better than me, the hard mode hack I'd only recommend for masochists, but I definitely think it's worth it for anybody to try the GBA Ancient Cave, Grand Cross Randomizer, FFVA randomizer, and/or Career Day randomizer at least once, and I'm very glad I found these mods to add to my collection of games to replay on a regular basis.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That actually looks really fun. I'm not sure if I'd play it, but it does look pretty well-balanced for what it is and like a genuinely new and interesting experience. I really hope you show the superboss because I'm now curious about who that is.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Reviewing the video, I can still hear some really loud background noise I don't know how to fix and it bothers the gently caress out of me, so it's going off again until I get my leak actually fixed. :sigh:

Once again live on twitter.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I can't get the last mod I was planning to highlight to work, so this will be the last update.

With the code in hand, we unlock Phoenix Tower and climb our way up.

All of the jars are now Magic Jar encounters, but you can actually just kill it instead of playing the Elixir lotto. Clearing out Phoenix Tower jackboots my party to almost max level and dumps a ton of money and AP in my lap as well.

As mentioned in the Beginner's house, the Moogle's Village and Mirage Village has NPCs that tell you what Shinryuu and Omega's weaknesses are, but at the beginning of the stream I was still not quite ready to tackle the end-game bosses (or I was not in a good configuration of Jobs when I tried Shinryuu), so I ground my way up to level 99 and worked about halfway through mastering all Jobs for everyone before I lost patience, came back out for a shopping trip, and came back in again.

The reason why Shinryuu is now such a pain in the rear end to fight is that (at least for me) he opens with Mega Flare, which would be a wipe even at level 99 unless I have a fast enough character cast Mighty Guard first. I was prepared for a long and drawn out battle but my dual-wielding Mimes using Ice 3 Rapid Fire finished him off as soon as I was done curing myself back to full HP.

Omega had a few extra gimmicks (one of them pictured above), but comparatively didn't feel as hard.

And the last superboss (a mage that attacks with air-elemental spells and the occasional party-wide physical attack which changed colors as it took damage) took a while to chop through all of their HP, but otherwise was no problem.

This has been a pretty eye-opening and mostly fun journey, and makes me wish I knew how to mod FFV.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

That mod you failed to get is actually really cool, I've played it a bunch of times. :< It definitely makes the game a lot easier, but several classes desperately needed some of the boosts they got.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Raitzeno posted:

That mod you failed to get is actually really cool, I've played it a bunch of times. :< It definitely makes the game a lot easier, but several classes desperately needed some of the boosts they got.

I was able to download it, but I couldn't get the emulator to play the patched file for whatever reason (when the unpatched file worked just fine).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's always sad to read something's the last update but this has been a great LP! It was nice to see how many variations of FFV exist, I'm surprised with how much love it gets from the fandom when Square-Enix treats it as one of the more forgettable games in the series. It does lend itself to more unique playthroughs, which I guess works well for modding as well.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

dotchan posted:

I was able to download it, but I couldn't get the emulator to play the patched file for whatever reason (when the unpatched file worked just fine).

Which emulator are you using? If it was RetroArch, drop that immediately and grab VBA-M. It's tiny and runs a lot smoother, and even though RA technically has a VBA-M core, it's nowhere near as good in practice.

(I'm not sure if we're brushing up against :filez: rules here...)

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Raitzeno posted:

Which emulator are you using? If it was RetroArch, drop that immediately and grab VBA-M. It's tiny and runs a lot smoother, and even though RA technically has a VBA-M core, it's nowhere near as good in practice.

Using BizHawk, which has worked great with the GBA Ancient Cave and the GBA randomizer, so the fact that trying to run this last mod only gets me the language selection menu and then a black screen is driving me nuts.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

dotchan posted:

Using BizHawk, which has worked great with the GBA Ancient Cave and the GBA randomizer, so the fact that trying to run this last mod only gets me the language selection menu and then a black screen is driving me nuts.

Yeah, definitely give VBA-M a shot.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Nope.avi. If anybody else can get this mod to work, feel free to show it off, because I give up. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Alright, I guess it's time to put my money where my mouth is for a bit. This won't be a comprehensive LP or anything, but I'll show off the early game so you get a feel for how this mod works.

Final Fantasy V: Custom Classes is a balance mod by Jeff Ludwig of the GBA port of the game. Mr. Ludwig has also contributed a small host of other interesting balance mods:

But FFV goons only want one thing, and it's disgusting. So let's dive right in.

Though I'm a little thrown off having all the cutscenes in again after playing Project Demi and Career Day which remove them, the real fun here can start as soon as you get the ship. I forgot about this until after the Wind Shrine, but if you tell the pirate where to shove his piloting skills, you can theoretically head to the Tule area before the Shrine and grind on Goblins for cash. Why would you want to do that? Well...

Freelancer comes with !White and !Black equipped by default, even if you don't actually have them learned. So if you can afford it, you can pick up Cure, Libra, and the basic black magic damaging spells before setting foot in the first dungeon. You could also pick up a couple other things, but more on that in a few moments. Instead, let's skip forward to after caving Big Bird's face in and cracking the shiny 'egg' he's guarding.

This mod frontloads a bunch of the jobs into the very first crystal. While this might seem questionable at first glance - and I'm not gonna lie, I don't fully approve of the idea myself - it does do a bit to alleviate the usual problems Fiesta players are familiar with vis-a-vis getting jobs "too early." A big part of this is that many early shops have been upgraded, and another is that many of these classes have wider equipment options than they used to. But we'll get to that in a bit. Instead, let's take a look at the big draw of this mod. You know how most classes have two ability slots, and one is chosen for you? You know how there's some classes that wouldn't be caught dead using the Attack command, but are stuck with it anyway? Well, this one kicks those ideas to the curb. Instead, as shown in the Freelancer shot way up above, every class has THREE equippable ability slots.

Everyone starts with !Attack and !Items permanently learned. The very top slot is where the other static ability for each class sits now. So, for example, Thief has Steal at the top of the list, Mages have their signature magic command up there, and Dragoon has Jump. If you want to attack or pop an item, you have to equip the ability yourself. Furthermore, the interaction between ability slots and stats is completely different. Each character has some base stats like in the original, and each class has some base stats as well; combine the character with their job and you have something to work with. But rather than certain abilities passing the highest stat of a job, every single ability is worth a few stat points. So, for example, the !Attack command is actually worth 3 Strength, and !Items gives you 5 Agility. Many late-game or previously less-desirable abilities give higher boosts, or even boost multiple stats at once (such as Find Pits boosting all four by a small amount - 2 Str, 4 Agi, 3 Sta, 2 Mag). That being said, the obvious draw here is the ability combinations. Many classes have had their lists updated, with some overlap introduced for the sake of less classes being boring and/or awful. Some have different innate passives while you're in them too. Several of the more obnoxious things have had their costs reduced, while others are just more full.

With all that in mind, let's talk about equipment, since that's the biggest game-changer early on, before you've had a chance to learn too many abilities. Like I said before, pretty much everything as more options. For example, Jeff probably played a bit of D&D where Clerics are capable of wearing chain or even plate, as White Mages can now equip Heavy Armor, Helmets, and Shields.

(That screenshot is from a bit later, obviously.) In fact, several early classes have access to shields now, though it's a very questionable addition for one of them. Thieves of all things can use 'em now, but why would you ever want to when they can just innately dual-wield?

The Tule shops now carry a variety of things for the new classes, though Bards are left in the lurch right at the moment. The weapon shop has a Spear, while the magic shop now carries Haste, Slow, and Chocobo. For my part, I picked up the Time spells but skipped the bird, since Call is now the second thing a Summoner learns and I'd rather have fewer duds in the list. In the meantime, my preferred start in lieu of any special conditions such as a Fiesta is to load everyone into Blue Mage.

It now gets Magic Shell with a paltry 5 AP, but Learning comes immediately after that at 25. It's the same total AP for Learning, but now it's a LOT easier to justify the slot early on. It gives 2 Agility and 5 Magic, so it's a nice little boost to another magic user with the bonus of picking up blue spells. !Blue itself costs 70, just like in the original, but if you need any Blue Mages early on, you only really need one.

Moving on a bit, between the dual-broadsword Thief and a White Mage with two or three instances of !Attack and the Flail, Siren's first half goes down like a chump, and a single Cure ended the fight when she switched to undead in my run. Carwen's shops have gotten a single new item, a Silver Harp, but the patented Anti-Garula Panic Button (the Frost Rod) is still in its old spot. I don't think many - if indeed any - treasure locations have changed. The first actual spot of trouble I ran into was in North Mountain, where my entire party got Blinded halfway through and I realized I hadn't bought any eye drops. I just barreled on through to the save point to use a Tent, and returned the favor by having Galuf Flash Forza, making him a nonissue during the Magissa fight.

The shops in Walse are more interesting in this mod, with the Battle Axe being equippable by Knights. The weapon shop also now carries a Silver Bow, which Thieves can equip innately. (But it's two-hands-only and Thieves innately dual-wield, so I didn't bother.) The Whip we got from Magissa is also immediately useful, as Blue Mages can equip those now.

By the time I made it to Garula, we were rocking some ridiculous physical power. A Knight with a Battleaxe, a White Mage with a Flail, a Blue Mage with a Whip to keep him from counterattacking (which procced at the beginning and again when he broke out of it!), and a Thief rocking a Mythril Sword and a Long Sword. We shredded him.

The Water Crystal gives Ranger, Chemist, and Monk in addition to the normal Red Mage and Mystic Knight. (The Ranger's presence explains the Silver Bow in the Walse weapon shop.)

I'm going to point out that the Fire Crystal gives Ninja, Berserker, and Beastmaster immediately, with Samurai and Cannoneer coughed up shortly after. The Earth Crystal gives Geomancer and the other four GBA-exclusive jobs; Necromancer's abilities are available much earlier in this mod rather than ALL being stuck in the postgame dungeon. (I believe you can pick up some during either the tail end of World 2, or in World 3.)

I'm going to stop there for the moment, but hopefully this gives you a good idea of what this mod's all about.

Dotchan, thanks for covering all those other mods, and I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to mess around with this one!