Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
No posts on Origin night - a shameful thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
We're all in the Discord now.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Look we're very easily distracted

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yay the Tigers released a teaser for next year's jerseys (made by Steeden) and it looks like we're going back to having an orange alternative strip!

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Well at least Tedesco won't remember 2020

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
origin chat: https://discord.gg/aQjvCW5a

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
That was typical Rugby League

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
New South Wales keep finding new ways to fail, amazing.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Fucken lmao at Cherry-Evans finishing up with "on behalf of the worst QLD team in history, thank you very much!"

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Munster should have spat in Gallen’s face, lol.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
James Graham finally won a premiership

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I feel that all the poms I know have been talking my ear off about that game

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I ask stupid questions in this thread all the time, so I am sorry. However, saying that, here's another one.

Has there ever been a Rugby League version of AFLX?

i.e. A bullshit bastardization of the game that literally nobody but the marketing wankers who thought of it liked? A hosed up attempt to expand the game into non-footy markets?

Once again I apologize for both my ignorance and stupidity. (I will not apologize for my handsomeness though.)

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Would the Super League count?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

I ask stupid questions in this thread all the time, so I am sorry. However, saying that, here's another one.

Has there ever been a Rugby League version of AFLX?

i.e. A bullshit bastardization of the game that literally nobody but the marketing wankers who thought of it liked? A hosed up attempt to expand the game into non-footy markets?

Once again I apologize for both my ignorance and stupidity. (I will not apologize for my handsomeness though.)

Not really. We just expand the game into random areas and then give up and gently caress off the teams after a year or two.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

iajanus posted:

Not really. We just expand the game into random areas and then give up and gently caress off the teams after a year or two.

Thanks for the answers.

I don't think Super League counts, coz aren't the rules pretty much the same as normal Rugby League?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Thanks for the answers.

I don't think Super League counts, coz aren't the rules pretty much the same as normal Rugby League?

Pretty well much but with some minor variations that if any good get adopted by the other.

International rules tend to lag behind a bit. Or just use the local rules because it's too hard.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Speaking of which

quote:

Field goals could be worth two points next season as the NRL continues to tinker with its rules in a bid to make the game more attractive to fans.

The Australian Rugby League Commission met this morning to approve a raft of on-field changes including fewer scrums and ‘full’ penalties to improve the flow of matches. However, the biggest talking point will be the introduction of two-point field goals for successful attempts taken outside the 40-metre line. The change seeks to increase scoring opportunities at critical moments, particularly with limited time remaining on the clock in each half.

NRL Head of Football Graham Annesley launched the 2021 All Stars buildup in Townsville. He was joined by North Queensland Cowboys legend Johnathan Thurston and Queensland Minister for Resources Scott Stewart .

“Providing the opportunity for a two-point play will give teams incentive to make attacking plays to get into field-goal range at the end of a half,” ARLC chairman Peter V’landys said.

“It will also ensure teams who are down by one or two points in the dying moments of a match have a better opportunity to win a game or go to golden point.”

Other rule changes include:

Six more tackles for 10-metre infringements: To reduce stoppages in the game, 10m infringement penalties will be replaced with a “six-again” ruling. Referees maintain the ability to blow a penalty and sin-bin a player if a side has made repeated 10m infringements or in the case of professional fouls.

Scrums: To maintain the integrity of scrums, the referee will call “Break” when he or she is satisfied the ball is out of a scrum. Players will not be permitted to break from a scrum until the referee makes the call. A full penalty will be awarded for transgressions. The team receiving the penalty will also have the option of re-packing the scrum. If the scrum is re-packed and players again break early, a further penalty will be awarded and one of the offending players will be sent to the sin bin.

Play-the-ball restart after ball or player finds touch instead of a scrum.

Handovers for incorrect play-the-ball, instead of a penalty.

Captain’s Challenge: If a challenge is inconclusive, the on-field decision will stand but the team will retain their challenge. Fans have expressed frustration with teams losing a challenge where replays prove inconclusive.

Bunker Reviews: Where the on-field referee believes a try is scored, the referee will award a try and the bunker will review the decision in the background. A conversion attempt will not be permitted until the bunker is satisfied a try has been scored. This will ensure less stoppage time and ensure momentum in the game continues.

Trainers: if a trainer asks a match official to stop the game for an injury, the injured player must be either interchanged or taken off the field for a period of two minutes of elapsed game time before he is permitted to resume his place on the field. This will reduce the number of stoppages for minor injuries.

“These innovations will lead to less stoppages, more unpredictability and increased excitement for our fans,’’ V’landys said.

“The message from the fans and our broadcasters has been clear: the game became too predictable and the balance between attack and defence had gone too far in favour of defence.

“Our changes last year were successful in addressing some of those challenges and the changes announced today will take the element of unpredictability and entertainment a step further.”

V’landys said fan feedback played a role in the changes.

“You’ve got to give the customer what they want,” he said. “We want to attract new fans to our game and we want our current fans to keep coming back to watch games live at the ground or on TV. It was important to understand what they want.”

V’landys said the Commission determined rule changes that were introduced for the resumption of the 2020 season will remain.

“It is clear the new innovations last season were a success,” he said. “You only have to look at the data, there were more tries, more line breaks and more minutes of ball in play and the response from our fans and players has been positive.

“In particular, the six-again rule has addressed the biggest issue that was in the game and that was the wrestle. The changes have sped up the ruck and made the game more free flowing which is exactly what the Commission wanted to see.”

The Innovation Committee was chaired by commissioner Wayne Pearce and included V’landys, NRL CEO Andrew Abdo, NRL head of football Graham Annesley, NRL coaches Craig Bellamy and Ricky Stuart, NRL players Damien Cook and Luke Keary and referee Matt Cecchin.

“This is an important committee,” V’landys said. “It has been asked to look at innovative ways to enhance the fan experience, not only on the field but with off-field initiatives which we are looking at. I thank all the members for their assistance, particularly our coaches, players and match official who provided excellent input.”

Eh I'm ok with that.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Two point field goals can gently caress right off. Interesting to see how the automatic bunker-checkery works out, iirc currently the game clock keeps going when a try is scored and doesn't stop until the goal kick is attempted, right? So potentially if the video ref is holding things up they'll need to change the rule so the clock stops as soon as the ref blows possible try. Or was that changed, I can barely keep up as it is.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I think the changes are mostly good except the field goal points. That's just unnecessary complication.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Teams suck at getting field goals from 10-20 metres in front of the posts. What makes them think getting two points for a 40 metre field goal is going to improve anything?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
field goals are not exciting.

In other news, this Kurt Capewell thing is pretty wild.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Can't believe Kurt fell for the oldest trick in the gloryhole book

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Not going to make fun of Kurt Capewell for something that's happened to everyone at some point or another, but I would like to congratulate Josh Addo-Carr on his upcoming retirement from first grade football.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nice pickup for the Bulldogs, can't believe the Tigers hosed up another signing

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

bowmore posted:

I can.

Regarding the Dogs, one of their (many) problems is they have all these outside backs who are decent or better but they can't seem to pin down who should play where.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

What is it like having zero memory or pattern recognition?

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

iajanus posted:

Seems like a self-answering question, really.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

What is it like having no sarcasm recognition?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Lmao Pearce making sure we get one more scandal in before 2020 closes out.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Doing dogs work

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Dogs ceo jumped before he got axed.

Nofa resigns for Tigers.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Nofa re-signs with Tigers, don't scare me like that.

I could not see him playing anywhere else, though.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Can't imagine anyone else paying him what we'll be paying

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Sooner Nofa than, say, Josh Reynolds or Mbye.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah he is a player I wouldn't be happy to lose

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

At least Nofoaluma cares, which is more than you can say about most of their highly paid players in recent years.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

At least Nofoaluma cares, which is more than you can say about most of their highly paid players in recent years.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I would take a team of players who actually care losing every week over a 12-12 team full of apathetic ones.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
When we were shedding Tedesco and Woods (lol) and Moses (to be fair, the last two were lucky breaks for us), Nofoaluma was very publicly signing. He's a Tigers junior who'll be a life member if he manages to avoid Carneying his career, and I think he's too smart for that.

The fact he can play a bit is a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apparently Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is planning on jumping over the rugby union to try to get into the All Blacks. Apparently the switch may be confirmed as early as next week.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/roger-tuivasa-sheck-quits-nrl-warriors-all-blacks-rugby-switch/c6e5fd9b-4f2e-429e-86b0-ae1f177ad902

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/ru...NX4GZDBP5DQMLQ/