Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

First off, thanks to Tias for making this thread. It's neat as hell.

Second off, I just want to emphasize that this is a modern religion based, like many, on ancient practices and as such people will be posting in this thread who are devout believers. Please be respectful of that. There is a line between asking honest questions about a faith that is not your own to learn about it and educate yourself and mocking the beliefs of others. I don't think it's going to be a big issue, but it's something to stay aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The recent talk about modern influences in paganism got me thinking, especially the comment about people drawing poo poo from Marvel movies:

How do modern pagans react to the liberal use of their religion in pop culture? Marvel's Thor is kind of a mind gently caress when you think about it through that lens. Like, I'm trying to imagine Jesus or Ram or Buddha as a no bullshit member of the Justice League or something. If you stop and think about it, there are a bunch. Everything form TV shows to movies to video games. I mean, culture isn't exactly lacking in judeo-christian reference (Diablo is kind of, uh, influenced by christian hell iconography although it's less direct than something like Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice) but it never seems as direct as Thor, a god recognized as part of a divine pantheon in this very thread, punching a giant purple Space Hitler on the big screen.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Fearless posted:

You'll hear stuff like that in Anglo Saxon poetry and surviving writings as well. Christianization was a gradual process in Northern Europe.

poo poo, just look at some of the christian as gently caress high holy days. Easter has some very deep pre-christian roots. A 5th century Roman christian would look at the poo poo Catholics today do and comment on how a lot of the traditions were synchretic as all gently caress.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Alhazred posted:

You're getting off easy. I work with little kids and have lived this nightmare for seven years now.

You sound like a person who really needs to let it go. :v:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tias posted:

religion.dk har lavet et okay overblik, med links til interviews foretaget af kristeligt dagblad - men bemærk at de vist mest har talt med Forn Sidr:

https://www.religion.dk/asatro#2-subheading

Off topic but man as someone who can read both English and German wandering across danish out of nowhere before I’ve had my coffee made my brain skip a few cycles.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lol no worries just more a funny observation about my brain trying really hard to parse that a thing it should recognize and then falling over.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

abske_fides posted:

Hence why I asked in Norwegian or Danish hehe. Hokey new age stuff seems more common in English than in the Scandinavian languages it seems, but I might be mistaken.

A few months back I got the elder Edda in nynorsk which I'll probably read at some point in may.

I don't really have a good mental framework for this built yet, and this is going to sound dismissive, but I think it tl;dr's down to the vast majority of the US being 4th, 5th and more generation descendants of immigrants who have a notion that there is another cultural background they "should" belong to but have no link to it. Some of them end up romanticizing this, and some of those end up getting into new age poo poo that can come off as anywhere between patronizing and insulting on through naive if genuine in their enthusiasm. You see it with people getting into Celtic stuff, you see it with people finding that they're 1/128th Native, you see it with norse/nordic pagan stuff, and you also see it with a lot of adopted cultural things like the people who go a little off the deep end on South Asian spirituality.

I don't want to disparage or minimize what any of those people are doing and I"m sure as poo poo not trying to pass judgement on it. It's just that when you look at how they approach it and the people who are still rooted in the cultural context that these beliefs emerge from (as in living in it from day to day) there are some pretty noticeable differences.

Note that I'm none of these things so this is a purely outsider's perspective and just from the hip musings.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bhurak posted:

You aren't wrong. At the museum I worked at there was a yearly event called highland gathering. Basically a bunch of people who had a Scotsman as an ancestor put on their prettiest dress grab their bagpipes and all 700 of them play Scotland the brave together. The one year the guest of honor was a real Scottish person and I almost died laughing.

I've spent a good chunk of time outside of the US only once have I pretended to not be an American. Every other time I've owned it and been willing to talk about whatever crazy US poo poo they wanted to discuss, up to and including being in Germany on the day we invaded Iraq.

Except the week I spent in Dublin. Oh my god.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tias posted:

Germanic mythology IS norse mythology, same gods, different variants and pronounciations, often 'Germanic' and 'Norse' are even interchangeable in academia. Are you thinking about southern German stuff? Like, there's "Continental Germanic Mythology", about which we know precious little - I would recommend the Merseburg Incantations, the Muspilli and the Lay of Hildebrand. All ought to be available online.

Related question to what Orphans asked, I guess, but if I'm reading a text about Germanic tribes in the early medieval period (say, 600-800) and Wotan comes up, is that just a regional name for Odin? Like, if we could take our hypothetical Goth or Saxon and send him north to visit his relatives in Scandinavia, would he recognize their god as his own?

I'm most familiar with this kind of thing from how the Roman and Greek pantheons get compared and, while there's a basic Zeus=Jupiter etc match up it's not exactly 1:1.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Eh, I have a hard time being annoyed by the specificity of the christian ones. Or any religion really. If someone wants to be buried under any symbol that's their prerogative, whatever form it might take. We just have a lot more people of various christian denominations dying in military service in the US, so you're going to find a lot more of those edge cases where someone doesn't feel that the current crop of symbols they can choose from represents their faith.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Incelshok Na posted:

What does "White Pride Worldwide!" mean to you? Is it an aspiration that white pride be shared universally across the world? An impositional statement where you want to build a world where all people embrace white pride? An honest assessment where white pride is, in fact, worldwide and you think that is a good thing?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gently caress off with this poo poo. Read your probate reason to see my full views on your particular flavor of religious bigotry.

If anyone's curious I reached out to Fromage before doing mod stuff here, so please don't read this as me stepping on his toes. He's cool with it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tias posted:

and leaving out milk and oatmeal for the pixies or elves is a direct link to the universal practice of sacrificing to your land spirits in heathen Scandinavia.

Kids in the US at least still leave out milk and cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve. Neat to see how that probably worked it’s way in.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So what was so special about the soup that eating it or not eating it was a big deal?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tias posted:

Do anyone reading here play CK III by the way? I'm considering doing an analysis of what they do wrong and right with it.

I'd love to read your thoughts on that. I've played a bit of it, played more CKII.

Having my background I know playing HOI4 can be an interesting experience, as I can see where they took liberties for the purpose of having a playable and interesting game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tias posted:

The boar itself was a common part of stores, so you'd likely have one around if you had any wealth to speak of.

I'm a little curious about this, just because I'm familiar with boars in the Tudor-era English christmas tradition and there its a Big loving Deal if you have a boar (or more precisely a boar's head) on Christmas. We're talking kings and the like, to the point where there's a whole special christmas carol that basically centers around "hey, look at this, it's a really big deal, check out this boar's head we're taking to the table of the really important person. IIRC they still do it at one of the big, old british unis, maybe Oxford.

Interestingly, glancing at that Wiki page it claims some ties to Anglo-Saxon beliefs and sacrifice to Freyr.

Anyways, the religious connection aside, I was more curious about boar being a common part of stores in Scandinavia, since at least by the time you get to Tudor England it's a really big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

BattyKiara posted:

My Granny was Romany. Of the kalderash variety. Deeply religious, called herself a christian, but her faith was not at all ortodox in any religion. She was extremely strict when it came to various purity rites, did not care for priests or judges of any kind, HATED nuns, and claimed that "Longwinded prayers with too many words give Jesus a headache!"

I could probably make a VERY long list of all her marime (purity) rules. Some sort of make sense, most are weird superstitions with origins lost to time.

That sounds neat as can be and like some kind of syncretism with Christianity and older, local beliefs.