Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Kveldulf Gundarsson is the biggest fuckhead around. Well, that might be Flowers, but close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Josef bugman posted:

Can I hear more about both Forsete and also the prize fuckheads being discussed here.

With Flowers, he likes to slum around with the alt-right while never quite making openly fascist statements.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
There's no small internal tension between the rear end in a top hat thor-worshippers and us queer folk within heathenry as a result. There's a reason a lot of us don't feel welcome in thor-centric circles and prefer Odin or Loki and it ain't just the myths.

EDIT:
And don't get me started on being a christopagan heathen. No one likes us, and rightly so. We're terrible.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Xiahou Dun posted:

Uh...

I would get you started. I don't know what half of those words mean and would like to.

Take Christianity and smash it headlong into whatever pagan faith you prefer and you get Christopaganism, which is religion for fencesitters and lunatics who want to treat religion like an extremely inclusive yarning circle. There’s actually a lot of it in heathenry but it’s mostly covert in the form of heavily Christian influenced Heathen worship, the followers of which get really mad at the implication they might have allowed Christian influences in. Some of this is inevitable due to the Christianisation predating most written records of the antecedents of heathenry but other elements, like the Nine Noble Virtues, are full on modern syncretism in disguise.

I jokingly call us terrible but that’s because Christopaganism is widely disliked, as most Christians are strict monotheists who exclude many-in-one monotheism, and most pagans view Christianity and paganism as mutually exclusive due to the history and most christopagans being either batshit, Christian with decorations, sorcery nuts (hi), or combining multiple pantheons. My individual case is one where I identify with the ways of Odin (in splendour and in shame) as my sense of the divine presence most accessible to me, within a strongly Kabbalistic panentheistic and pantheistic cosmological framework with a belief in non-Pauline Christianity as a source of generally reasonable ethical instruction. That should pretty much justify the label of batshit and act as a disclaimer that my experience with and perception of Heathenry as a whole is coloured by both these positions and the general tension between Heathens of more and less Christian inclination.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Fritz the Horse posted:

You might consider hanging out in the Religion (Christianity & Friends, really) Thread!

There are actually a ton of Christian + pagan/heathen/indigenous syncretisms out there. I'm most familiar with some of the Native American (Lakota specifically) versions where a lot of folks around here are Catholic but also they pray to the spirits of their ancestors and perform ritual blood sacrifices for fertility. So, y'know.

I do from time to time. Christianity is definitely readily syncretized by pretty much every non-monotheistic faith it encounters, but the forms that emerge naturally from assimilation and forced conversions aren't usually considered Christopagan by either Christopagans, pagans, or Christians despite their prior existence to the emergence of modern christopaganism ( in the same way that surviving Indigenous religious and spiritual practices aren't usually lumped in with modern paganism, which tends towards the eurocentric). To keep it more focused on the Heathenry aspect, there's some evidence for syncretic Christo-Heathenry in the immediate post-christianization period. There's enough references to and laws prohibiting continued heathen prayer that we can be certain that the conversions were usually less than complete (and the Icelandic conversion is a great example, with the insistence that heathenry be permitted as a private affair), and references here and there to people praying to Thor and Freyr alongside Jesus. Modern Heathenry as a whole prefers to look before that blurring, though, so the christopagan elements tend to be smuggled in the back door due to the cultural influence of christianity on Heathen writers and communities.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Xiahou Dun posted:

Please very much keep posting cause this is all cool and good, but just a minor point of clarification : many syncretic beliefs in South-America and the Caribbean are (nominally) still part of the Catholic Church. Enough so when, for example, the Pope visits Haiti he changes outfits and terminology. Just a really minor nitpick. According to the Vatican Voudon is still Catholicism (except when it's not).

That's what I mean. 'Traditional' Syncretic Christianities usually aren't considered Christopagan and usually instead are identified as part of either Christianity (whichever form they spring from) or the enduring pre-Christian religion, or sometimes both, depending on circumstance (and also sometimes - even simultaneously - as pagan from the fundamentalist crowd, but for them everything that isn't their exact system is either paganism, satanism, or heresy). Because of that, they're excluded from the christopagan label, which signifies a more recent syncretization without institutional support from any mainstream Christian sect or non-Christian faith that takes place outside the frameworks of assimilative-syncretic christianity.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
On a purely pragmatic level, many of the local heathens I know also maintain some level of belief in the local Dreaming stories. Personally, Odin is the god of my ancestors and me, but he is from another country and the Country I live on has its own stories, and so to communicate with him it just makes sense to ask the local spirits to pass the message on and to pay them the appropriate level of respect as a journeyer on their Country. It's no different to acknowledging the elves and the trolls.

EDIT: Whoah, didn't notice that conversation had petered out. Timestamps, what are they?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
On the matter of dividing the gods etc I have no time or inclination to do so. I talk to them as I need and as I please without regard to if they're Order or Wild or whatever the poo poo. When your main guy is Odin, the god of both rulers and outlaws, it's a bit silly to get caught up on it as a crucial distinction.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Incelshok Na posted:

What does "White Pride Worldwide!" mean to you? Is it an aspiration that white pride be shared universally across the world? An impositional statement where you want to build a world where all people embrace white pride? An honest assessment where white pride is, in fact, worldwide and you think that is a good thing?

I may not know much, but I know Loki looks at posters with this dumb and badly executed a gimmick and just thinks 'fuckwit'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Tias posted:

Hej ven! :) Ja, der er masser af danskere der praktiserer udesidning, især nu hvor vikinger, asetro og sejd er mere sexet end nogensinde før. I'll write the info itself in English, but please ask more or to have it in Danish if something puzzles.

Sitting out, usually mentioned by the corrupted term "utaseti" (from 'sidde ude or sida ute' in Danish and Swedish respectively) is discussed and done by heathens all over the world. It is considered a principal form of 'seidr' or heathen magic/mysticism. As you read Danish, I cannot recommend "Jorden Synger" by Annette Høst enough. She's a self-taught norse animist shaman who clearly researched the process and does it from an eclectic shaman/norse position. It should be available in public libraries and has recently been reprinted. It's a great read, even if you're not a believer or seidrworker yourself.

Essentially: Go to some undisturbed wilderness, the deepest forest you can find is a favorite, but any place where you think you'll be undisturbed by humans will work. You can start off with opening sacred space, making offerings or praying, and once you're satisfied you have demonstrated intent to enter the other world, you just sit and wait. At a certain stage, you will find the animals, rocks, plants and noises communicating to you, answering your questions or offering other insights you need.

I'm largely stumped as well. I can tell you that his worship has been very persistent, lasting in some form until the 1900s among fishermen, and with the advent of reconstructionist heathenry, is now again widespread among heathens everywhere. It is customary to offer to him when you travel or when you fish or generally when using boats or ships.

I'm a little late on this one, but I can attest personally to the practice of sitting out as being widespread globally and as a living practice. We'll wander into the woods, sit down, and start listening. Sometimes it's very blatantly mystical, other times not - sometimes it even occurs on the way back after a 'failure', when the light strikes a certain plant a certain way, or that night or the next as you sleep, the shape of the creeks is revealed to you as what it is you're looking to know. I can't say mine is as methodologically rigorous as some of the serious shamans (and it's certainly coloured by the fact I will also ask questions of the local dreamings), but it's still within the sitting out tradition (for bonus points: I always carry the requisite staff in the form of a walking stick with certain staves scratched into it.)