Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Alhazred posted:

Its not a clean break between paganism and christianity In Scandinavia. There's been discovered amulets with both the cross and hammer and the earliest churches also have pagan imagery. There is also a story about king Håkon the Good who refused to toast for Odin until someone pointed out that he was in a room filled with violent drunken pagans. He then toasted for Odin and left the party.

There are even hammer/cross hybrid designs, like the Wolf Cross originally found in Foss, Iceland:

(Modern replica, obviously)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BattyKiara posted:

It was a monster that lives in a lake, and is a sexpest to women who swim alone. Something about red flowers used as bait to lure women to him.

This?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neck_(water_spirit)

Known as nøkker in Danish, they were said to lure people with music (and sometimes sexual attraction), and cause them to drown.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Uh yeah, that's literally a nazi version of an Odal/Othala rune, the version with the little feet or serifs was used by an SS regiment and is used by nazi scum to this day. In addition to that, there is a black sun, which was designed for/by Heinrich Himmler for his nazi LARP castle. And of course it's all in a modified version of the WWII German kriegsflagge.

It pretty much screams "nazi!"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So, our neighbor while we're down here in Germany has this crap flying 24/7.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rahmenlos-Original-Design-Flag-Vikings/dp/B07BFWY5NM

As a class exercise, please name the multiple ways that this crap is wrong, insulting and typical of neo-nazis appropriating viking age symbolism.

For bonus points, use Google and find out how many blatantly neo-nazis sites are selling this and similar flags.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nationalists can suck it, the vikings were surprisingly ethnically diverse.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2688-8

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

One vote for the holy toilet blood feud.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Alhazred posted:

Basically if it was fun or tasted good it was a pagan practice and banned. Good christians should live bland lives while eating bland food.

And work hard all day every day for the church/king, to receive their rewards in the afterlife.

The oldest scam in the book.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm all for hating on fundamentalists of any color, those people are harmful to other people, often directly and to society in general.

But hating on all religious people on principle, just because they're religious? That's some powerful bigotry, and I'm glad people are calling it out.

Richard "Dick Dorkins" Dawkins-style performative religion-bashing fundamentalist atheism is something I just can't get behind, but I have friends who are big fans of his. I just don't get it, why spend so much energy hating on something? While I consider myself atheist*, I've been avoiding using the term because I don't want to be associated with militant capital-A fedora Atheists.

*I'm all for spiritual-style communing with nature and such, personally I see it more as empathy and connection with life and the natural world than something otherworldly.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 12, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

While it is not directly related to old norse heathenry, there is a common thread of spirituality, nature and the ways of old.

Sadly, there is no longer a living witch in Rold Skov, the by far most well-known Danish witch Dannie Druehyld has passed away :(

For decades, she's been active in educating all of Denmark about the stories and traditions of witchery and witches, about herbs and the cycles of the natural world, about the spirituality that permeates the countryside and especially the forests. She was a gifted storyteller and ambassador for a deeper connection with the natural world, and for the climate and the environment.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 3, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's not any weirder than a lot of the other beliefs all people have, even if they don't consider those beliefs irrational or mystical or supernatural.

"If I just do X, then Y will definitely happen" or even the idea of luck as a tangible force.

The human mind is primed to notice patterns and ascribe meaning to them, it's fundamental to how we function. To some people, that's spiritual in nature, to others it signifies that a rational explanation exists and can be found. Neither is invalid, but may also never give you a proper answer.

And even if something exists only in your mind - or at least cannot be absolutely proven to exist outside of it - that certainly doesn't make it meaningless.

Asking questions and being aware of the tricky nature of your own mind is a very good sign that you're not off the deep end, it just means that you critically evaluate new information :)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

5th century is the 400s, so more like 300-400 years before.