Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Love all of that, thank you Tias! I am really fascinated by both the fylgja and hamingja concepts. The idea of the former is just delightful as someone who has always had a strong bond with non-human people (bet you can't guess which species the most); and the latter has a lot of personal resonance as well, born from lived experience. I assume I am not the only person who has ever mentally mocked up a real life "character sheet" for themselves. I have long privately maintained my character sheet would have a trait where my natural luck stat was loving garbage for the first period of my life, and then if I survived long enough it sort of levelled out, and then after that it started multiplying like wild. In relation to the metaphysics with which I am familiar, there are a number of factors contributing to this :lol:, but "luck" as an aspect of self is a really tidy category!

Being a personal aspect that is passed through lineage also makes a lot of practical sense. Even today, we all can see it's far easier for someone with a literal great family fortune to get ahead in life than a person whose family has experienced difficulties for generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

These are incredible writeups Tias, thank you so much for sharing the experiences with us.