Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Interesting thread, thanks for starting it.

To what extent are the Norse gods and godesses aspects of the same deity vs different entities?

While everyone has heard of the famous ones, like Thor and Freya, are there any lesser known deities you think need a comeback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Extremely interesting post about various Death Realms. Is there any truth to the stories I read somewhere that the worst places of Hel are set aside for people dying of communicated diseases? As in the worst way to die is to die as a plague spreader? Also, where do women go? My guess is most women didn't get the chance to die in combat? No special hall of Freya for say women dying in childbirth or something?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Tias posted:

This area has moved quite a lot since. At least the Oseberg woman is considered to have been a professional warrior now.

I thought she was a (forgot the Norse name) wise woman? Some kind of priestess who could see into the future or talk to the dead?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Is it OK to ask about Nordic folklore in this thread? Because I'm trying to dig up a very specific Scandinavian monster I heard about.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
It was a monster that lives in a lake, and is a sexpest to women who swim alone. Something about red flowers used as bait to lure women to him.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Nøkken sounds about right. Could have sworn the name sounded something like Bron-goob, but that's probably just me mixing stuff up. Thanks :D

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Nice song, Tias!

I am actually trying to learn Norwegian. Aka, how can a country with 5 million people spawn 8 million dialects?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Another half remembered story from me: Is there something about squirrels as messengers between humans and gods in Norse myths? Or am I mixing up some half forgotten fairy tale here?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Thank you! I love Ratatoskr here, perfectly adorable story.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
My Granny told me to "Always leave one apple on each tree, one berry on each bush, and always cook a small extra helping. Just in case God wants to send a visitor in need your way." Animals count as visitors, right? Because it is a lot of fun throwing scraps at squirrels playing outside.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I half remember a story. That sort of, but also real don't fit in here, but not sure which thread it fits into.

It happened in Denmark. Someone was redecorating or fixing up a church. Found weird coins. This was then linked to Satanism. Something about a tiny island with weird altars, more coins, and possibly dead rabbits? Full Satanic panic ensues. More stuff happens, something something secret society? Turns out it was all some eccentric artist behind the entire thing.

Anyone know what I'm talking about here?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Weirdly enough, your Sitting Out doesn't sound very different from my silent solo prayers. When I find a relaxing place in nature, like a beach at night. Sit down, and focus on what I need to pray about. If it is someone in need of healing, I will try to envision a happy outcome. The person being happy and surrounded by loved ones? And open myself to listen inwards, to hear if God has something I need to hear. This is very difficult to put into words, but an important part of my Quaker faith.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Question for heathens: If you live in Australia, do you celebrate autumn rituals around Halloween, or do you do spring rituals then and autumn rituals in your autumn, aka the European spring?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Tias posted:

I got it completely reversed. Since the old Danish word is "Kryds" and the Angles said "Rood" beforehand, how could it come via the Irish?

I'll have to owe you an answer. I don't even know if aboriginal and asian heathens have spring rituals (though I cannot imagine they wouldn't).

Thanks. What about Wiccans etc who live in the other hemisphere? What would you do if you were to live 2 years in South Africa, Tias? Stick with your fellow practitioners calendar, or follow nature?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Really interesting. Please write more of these.

My Granny told me that when you pick fruit off a tree or berries off a bush, always leave one behind. As a gift to the "invisibles" and to show gratitude in hope of an even better harvest next grow cycle.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
My Granny was Romany. Of the kalderash variety. Deeply religious, called herself a christian, but her faith was not at all ortodox in any religion. She was extremely strict when it came to various purity rites, did not care for priests or judges of any kind, HATED nuns, and claimed that "Longwinded prayers with too many words give Jesus a headache!"

I could probably make a VERY long list of all her marime (purity) rules. Some sort of make sense, most are weird superstitions with origins lost to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Very interesting, thank you, tias