Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

BattyKiara posted:

I thought she was a (forgot the Norse name) wise woman? Some kind of priestess who could see into the future or talk to the dead?

Völva / Vǫlva / Vřlve. Also, forget it Jake; it's moon language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tias posted:

Odin is definitely omnipotent. Not sure where you'd get that claim from.

Tias, followup seems better suited for this thread. I was taking that claim from the fact that Odin was unable to prevent Ragnarok; am I misinterpreting Ragnarok as something that Odin did not try to avoid?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Tias posted:

I guess I misspoke, for writing it again I see clearly that a deity cannot be omnipotent if there is one thing it cannot do. However, Odin is largely all-mighty, he has power over death, life, war and the fates of civilizations - Ragnarok is just one of those things, like the power of gods, that is sort of woven into the cosmos, and even Odin can't tamper with the source code, so to speak.

Got it; thank you.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Richard "Dick Dorkins" Dawkins-style performative religion-bashing fundamentalist atheism is something I just can't get behind, but I have friends who are big fans of his. I just don't get it, why spend so much energy hating on something?

There are a lot of people who have deep scars from currently presented Western Christianity (my experience has mostly been with ex-Southern Baptists and ex-Catholics in the SE US, to contextualize), for a sliding scale of reasons from very bad to very good. For some of those people, anyone delivering any blow to currently presented Western Christianity is someone to celebrate.

To go back to the original Tias post:

1. I agree that modern people should not harass modern people for their religion.

2. I am 100% unsurprised that the people who rejected Western Christianity to revive - and recreate, and recontextualize (as noted in Tias's thread OP) - Norse heathenry, have somewhat hostile views generally towards said Western Christianity.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

tam = tame

Its a wonder we aren't more mutually intelligible really

Great Vowel Shift, mostly,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

what is this?

To extremely oversimplify, before about 1400 English vowels were more or less the same as continental vowels. Then everyone decided to move them around in the mouth so that, for example:

bite was originally pronounced as beet today;
meat was originally pronounced as met today;
boot was originally pronounced as boat today; and
mate was originally pronounced as maht today.

Now to tag in wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Vowel_Shift posted:

The Great Vowel Shift was a series of changes in the pronunciation of the English language that took place primarily between 1400 and 1700, beginning in southern England and today having influenced effectively all dialects of English. Through this vowel shift, the pronunciation of all Middle English long vowels was changed.
The standardization of English spelling began in the 15th and 16th centuries, and the Great Vowel Shift is the major reason English spellings now often deviate considerably from how they represent pronunciations.

This didn't affect Northern English in Scots in quite the same way, so those dialects retain closer to original continental vowel pronunciations and thus closer to Norse/etc.

There has been a lot of work on this by English-speaking linguists, solet me just leave you with two videos for more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQNj4G5itkg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6YUEzylvp0

ulmont fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 2, 2022