Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Would raising a runestone be something that you do in a community now, or is it considered more of an "old time" heathenry thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Thanks Bhurak and Tias.

Is there lot of spinning to reach the Gods, ecstatic dances that sort of thing, or is that a different sub-set of heathenry.

Could you talk a little more about the ideas of gender in past Nordic worship, as well as in current heathenry if you have the time/inclination.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Can I hear more about both Forsete and also the prize fuckheads being discussed here.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Is it wrong when the colonised fight back against the coloniser? If Colombus had landed and then gotten an arrow through the eye, would we be lamenting his tragic fate?

The above thing that Tias posted has some good points in it, but the fact that Charlemagne, a man who attempted ethnic cleansing, is the person gone to as a representative of "Christendom" is both hilarious and pretty drat dark at the same time.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Tias posted:

The point of the post isn't that heathens look bad in comparison to Charlemagne, but that modern heathens obssession with reconstructing the past make them fulfill the stereotypes that Charlemagne (who was terrible) painted of them.

I think that if you apply those ideals as widely as they are in that particular instance you can argue that virtually any belief system fulfils the stereotypes that ole Charlie is putting out.

Not least the definition of "civilization" as something which requires an inherent hierarchy.

If I am kramering into this thread and should shut up let me know, but I wanted to disagree with some of what the article is laying out. Also sorry for any spelling mistakes. I am on phone atm and it's hard to use. Thank you.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Tias posted:

No no we're cool man, any content that isn't trolling is welcome.

Well, I think he's being rather specific. The fact that modern heathens are opposed to organization, too obsessed with the proper method of reconstruction to ever actually create modern theology, and embrace stereotypical viking images are all pretty spot on, and specific to heathenry, as well as certain other new age and reconstructionist movements.

Got it, but do let me know if I am being impolite. I don't like upsetting folks.

Should they want to create a modern theology? Most attempts at such usually fall flat because of a lack of miracles and a lack of direct connection to people. Striving for an imagined past and reinterpreting the present through that lens seems to be a continual goal of all theological work.

Being opposed to organisation is not an inherently bad concept, not least because a great deal of creating structures leads to the creation of out groups and doctrinal wrangling.

Alongside that I find that we can't really talk of how "ridiculous" heathenry looks as a faith without pointing to various different priesthood and raising an eyebrow at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Tias posted:

Well, the short of the long is, either they don't reason at all, or they decide it doesn't count because both jotunn and aesir are races of gods, and so don't create precedent for what humans should do (and also all white people descend from Odin because reasons).

I thought that the Eddas had everyone descended from trees and various different other things. What kind of cosmology are the awful fascists using?