Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Tias posted:

I think I've mentioned it before, but like most Danes my first real love of old norse culture and myth came with Peter Larsen's Valhalla comics. I don't know if they were ever translated, but if so I ever so highly recommend them to anyone, even those not interested in anything but good comics.

At least some of these were translated into Finnish. And yes, they are great. The one where Thor and some others pretend to be mortal heroes, "Odin makes a bet" or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Tias posted:

My all-time favorite moment in that series!

"No thanks, they gave me a better offer - there I get to play the harp!" :haw: :haw: :haw:

Yeah, and the Conan-lookalike that makes Odin go "nope, that dude looks too dangerous and independent".

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Tias posted:

Jǫtnar / Jotunn / Frost Giants - Evil demons or part of the family?
The name Jotunn comes from the proto-germanic *etunaz and means "devourer". The Old English eóten is a cognate (it means the same thing and comes from the same Proto-Germanic word). Þurs, or Thurse, another name for giant-like creatures, is derived from the Proto-Germanic *þurisaz and means something like “powerful and injurious one” with a secondary connotation of “thorn-like.” The Old English ðyrs and Old High German duris are cognates.

Turisas is also a being in Finnish pagan folklore, mentioned in 1551 by a priest called Mikael Agricola. He wrote a list of pagan deities worshipped by Finns and mentions Turisas being a god that gives victory in wars. In an another book from 1789 an another writer lists Turisas in Mythologica Fennica, a book about Finnish pagan faith and superstitions. That book is very much full of all sorts of dubious stuff, but very interesting.