Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Mr Enderby posted:

What's your favourite saga?

If you like the sagas check out Saga Thing.

It is a podcast where two professors analyze the Icelandic Sagas and rate them in categories like "best boodshed" and "best nicknames." It's really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Internet Wizard posted:

one of the gods is also a disabled veteran (Tyr, kinda) and another is a champion of the working man and loves drinking and fighting (Thor).

:hmmyes:

That is a big draw for me.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

If you're going by the Prose Edda Thor is half African. He's son of Mennon, an Ethiopian king, and a Trojan princess.

quote:

These chieftains were in every manly part greatly above other men that have ever been in the world. One king among them was called Múnón or Mennón; and he was wedded to the daughter of the High King Priam, her who was called Tróán; they had a child named Trór, whom we call Thor.

Prologue III, here.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Epicurius posted:

Also, while not a heathen myself, I doubt many would agree with the explicitly Christian origin story of the gods in the beginning of the Prose Edda.

No, of course - I seriously doubt, for example, that anyone would go along with the origins presented by Sturluson (the gods are all Trojans).

My point here is that the Eddas are not, to my understanding, seen as infallible holy writ, where not a single word can be ignored. They're open to interpretation; some parts are more valid than others. If you can ignore the parts that clearly say Thor was Ethiopian and Trojan, you can ignore other things as well.

The unfortunate drawback of this is that racist assholes, if they put any thought into it, thereby ignore anything that doesn't go along with their warped world view, up to the point of deliberately rejecting all of the parts that clearly and directly show that the gods weren't racists.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tias posted:

Imo the power of other gods are uncomfirmed, but likely. I don't necessarily discount the power of the judeo-christian god either, considering its influence.

Does this ever lead to a form of syncreticism?

That is, the Norse, and the Greek, and the Christian god (and presumably others) are all considered valid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tias posted:

I'll see if I can find more pictures, more later!

Thanks for posting this!