Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
That article is dog poo poo. The skeleton in question was unearthed over a hundred years ago.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birka_female_Viking_warrior

Me, I question identifying somebody as a warrior because they are buried with weapons. Nobody is suggesting the women in the oseberg ship burial were sailors. That said, there's plenty of other evidence for Norse women warriors in art.
The trans thing seems to be bizarre shoehorning but I haven't read the book, and again, lovely article so maybe there is some justification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
How about a translation recommendation for the Hildebrandslied?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Thanks!

E: a link to the aforementioned literary translation

https://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/source/830hildebrandslied.asp

Weka fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 9, 2020

Weka
May 5, 2019

How about a light hearted question as a palate cleanser?
Do you regard the war on Christmas as having been started by Christians?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Yeah I meant in that it seems to be mostly yule with the serial numbers filed of.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Maybe it's a prank. Bury a dude under your neighbor's house so he gets haunted, that sort of thing.

Weka
May 5, 2019

I always presumed (in the traditional view) Odin was as bound by fate as the rest of us. I guess I'm transplanting Greek ideas about fate though, are they significantly different?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Internet Wizard posted:

ibn Fadlan’s account of the “Rus” (considered by most to be misnamed Scandinavians last time I checked) is Viking age and a few centuries later than big scary monsters was interested in. It is a great description of Viking age practices and inspired a couple of scenes in season 1 of the History channel show, including the nose blowing.

I thought Rus was an endonym? Also I'm pretty sure the majority of the inhabitants of the Rus society weren't ethnic Scandinavians just the upper stratas.

Weka
May 5, 2019

The pattern on that belt seems very reminiscent of some minoan designs. I wonder if it's a coincidence or if the art style came with the bronze technology.

1390-1370 (well atleast the burial)

1600-1500 bc

Weka
May 5, 2019

Tias posted:

Varangian is just the name given by the Greeks and Kievan Rus' to the non-Rus scandinavians ruling the Kievan Rus.

So in The Tale of Bygone Years aka the Primary Chronicle of the Kievan Rus, Rurik is described as a Varangian and as a Rus. Varangian as you say was a Greek term and Rus seems to have been a Finnic one, whether identical in meaning to or as a sub category of Varangian I'm not sure. Of course ethnic groups change and wiki tells me a couple of centuries later the Slavicized upper classes were called Rus and the identifiably Scandinavians were called some variant of Varangian.

Thanks for the tip re wave patterns and France too.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Alhazred posted:

The brits on the other hand just called every vaguely norse person a "dane".

Nah.
Wicing (viking) was used in old English although it disappeared in middle English (post norman conquest).
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/wicing

Some British historian, a monastic iirc, referred to two curses or plagues or something on England, the red and the black, in reference to different viking raiders, which I atleast interpreted as Danish and Norwegian. I couldn't find the quote but I did find this, which suggests the vast majority of viking settlers in England where Danish. Please ignore the weird racial essentialism.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/sep/16/dark-hair-was-common-among-vikings-genetic-study-confirms

Weka
May 5, 2019

Here's the original study.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2688-8

Weka
May 5, 2019

If you're talking specifically about wild boar as opposed to just a male domestic pig then boar became extinct in England probably during the Tudor era so I'm going to guess there was an element of rarity.

Tias how would you feel about posting a picture of this horned god costume?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Anglo-Saxon heathenry is presumably the cultural practices of the Anglo-Saxons who started immigrating in something like 4-500 AD. My understanding is that these were more aligned with German traditions, although I guess the differences are probably not as marked as they became later.
Does the Danish language, modern or as ancient as we have, distinguish between wild and domesticated boar?

E: thanks for asking after the photos.

Weka fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 28, 2021

Weka
May 5, 2019

Bilirubin posted:

this checks out as I absolutely cannot understand a Glaswegian once they fully ramp up after a few pints

what is this?

And to make it less of a derail, Happy New Year heathen thread, just back from a walk in the neighbourhood with the dog and I always linger in the wooded area for some spiritual refreshment

Because it's the heathen thread I'll mention that being in the southern hemisphere I don't consider it the new year. I'm not a heathen just a conservative. Happy new year to you though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

Tias posted:

Oh hell, even proper English has a bunch of words from Danish/Norse. My favorite is probably the word "Cross", which they inherited from Danish ("Kryds") via Ireland who had a long history of occupation. Prior to that, the correct Angle word for the cross was 'Rood'.

The norse got it from the irish not visa versa.