Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Loomer posted:

Take Christianity and smash it headlong into whatever pagan faith you prefer and you get Christopaganism, which is religion for fencesitters and lunatics who want to treat religion like an extremely inclusive yarning circle. There’s actually a lot of it in heathenry but it’s mostly covert in the form of heavily Christian influenced Heathen worship, the followers of which get really mad at the implication they might have allowed Christian influences in. Some of this is inevitable due to the Christianisation predating most written records of the antecedents of heathenry but other elements, like the Nine Noble Virtues, are full on modern syncretism in disguise.

I jokingly call us terrible but that’s because Christopaganism is widely disliked, as most Christians are strict monotheists who exclude many-in-one monotheism, and most pagans view Christianity and paganism as mutually exclusive due to the history and most christopagans being either batshit, Christian with decorations, sorcery nuts (hi), or combining multiple pantheons. My individual case is one where I identify with the ways of Odin (in splendour and in shame) as my sense of the divine presence most accessible to me, within a strongly Kabbalistic panentheistic and pantheistic cosmological framework with a belief in non-Pauline Christianity as a source of generally reasonable ethical instruction. That should pretty much justify the label of batshit and act as a disclaimer that my experience with and perception of Heathenry as a whole is coloured by both these positions and the general tension between Heathens of more and less Christian inclination.

You might consider hanging out in the Religion (Christianity & Friends, really) Thread!

There are actually a ton of Christian + pagan/heathen/indigenous syncretisms out there. I'm most familiar with some of the Native American (Lakota specifically) versions where a lot of folks around here are Catholic but also they pray to the spirits of their ancestors and perform ritual blood sacrifices for fertility. So, y'know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU