Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Tias posted:

While it means 'follower', the fylgja is actually known for arriving before its owner in a lot of cases, such as your fylgja appearing in the dreams of people who are going to meet you soon. It's also not uncommon for your fylgja to arrive at your home before you, and fwiw old people in Iceland and Norway still speak about doors opening and stairs clattering hours before another family member comes home as if it is a naturally occurring phenomenon.

This reminds me of the Finnish belief in "etiäinen" - a premonition of someone arriving or something happening. My mother (now in her late 60s) definitely believes in this stuff, she told me many stories about etiäinen from her childhood in a very rural part of Finland. In particular I remember a story about seeing a person waving a white cloth, which was interpreted as "someone will die soon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

So the full story was that a baby had just been born in that house, and the person telling the story saw someone standing in the doorway of a house, shaking off dust from bed linen that was needed for the baby. But when they went into the house, they found out that nobody had been at the door and the linen had not been taken care of. So they decided it meant that the baby might die soon. But then soon afterwards an older male relative died instead.