Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
So what password manager do you use?

I'm between Bitwarden and Keeper. And I don't know which of both shall I use, I've also tried like 5 of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I've used 1password for years, i resisted their subscription service for the longest time but finally gave in and coughed up the $35/year they wanted

it's really, really good

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

r u ready to WALK posted:

I've used 1password for years, i resisted their subscription service for the longest time but finally gave in and coughed up the $35/year they wanted

it's really, really good

it's this

I didn't bother with the software though, their firefox extension and integration is sufficiently needs-suiting

that said it's online rather than a local database like Keepass, which is... good and bad

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I use 1password and I just switched to subscription, i bought the $100 giftcard and it doesn't work and the whole staff is at planning meeting this week so my account remains frozen. I'm not too impressed so far.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
keep rear end, and i keep the db in a non-us dropbox style service. it's ok.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

gonadic io posted:

keep rear end, and i keep the db in a non-us dropbox style service. it's ok.

same for some work-related stuff

all personal website poo poo is in safari keychain.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

a few years ago I used keepass but it's a filthy pile of poorly-integrated open source jank so now I use 1password

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I'm too much of a :tinfoil: to trust a password manager, OP

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Poopernickel posted:

I'm too much of a :tinfoil: to trust a password manager, OP

yeah the text file on your desktop is much better

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
or no, you have a "scheme" based on some prefix and the website name. ultra secure.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
actually I just have like 6 passwords at varying degrees of "I care if this gets hacked", with unique passwords for anything financial and also my main email, and for the most part I just remember them all

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
like what do I care if somebody who hacks my netflix password can also log into my spotify account

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
And tbh it's debatable whether that's more or less secure than trusting that your password manager isn't just stealing your passwords straight up

Unless you actually audited the sources yourself and compiled it from those sources, of course.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Another vote for 1Password

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

We use lastpass at work. I found it needs suiting so I started using it at home

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I just don't sign up for arbitrary amounts of online crap :shrug:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
browser lastpass is such a goddamn loving awful website. unbelievably clunky. although it did come in handy when there was a permissions snafu and i couldn't get a password i needed but it let me inspect element to get it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I used 1pass for a couple years until realizing that using it via a browser extension is a bad idea and risks e.g. a flaw in the browser or extension quickly leading to arbitrary websites seeing everything in it

but 1pass linux support is:
1) browser extension or
2) gently caress off

I went with option 2 and am now using bitkeeperbitwarden

oh also I used to have my 2fa/totp codes directly in the password manager, but that also seemed like a bad idea, so now I keep them in a separate program. namely Authy but I dont have any particular preference for it

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 18, 2020

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Billa posted:

So what password manager do you use?

I'm between Bitwarden and Keeper. And I don't know which of both shall I use, I've also tried like 5 of them.

ah yes keeper, the ones who sued a journalist

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

ah yes keeper, the ones who sued a journalist

and argued with taviso over the semantics of the vuln report

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

icloud keychain op

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I'm beginning to realize just how utterly abysmal security I have. I've got most everything stored in Chrome passwords, which is probably really loving stupid because I'm pretty sure they aren't encrypted at all and in "the cloud". I really do like the convenience of chrome suggesting highly complex passwords, remembering and pullIng them out. Does 1pass do that? And I don't use 2FA except on Steam and a few other sites, so I should probably set that up on everything I can. I guess Authy is the go-to for 2fa?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
keepass, mostly for historical reasons

judging by my .kdbx file i seem to have started using it in 2007 and i don't know if there were any particularly appealing alternatives at the time. 13 years of use without the database file ever getting corrupted or lost or rendered unopenable by some backwards incompatible change seems like a pretty good track record to me - i can't recall ever having to restore it from backup

two main annoyances are that a) it doesn't work on my phone and b) syncing the file between computers occasionally causes some hassle with the lockfile, but eh, i haven't been annoyed enough to look into alternatives yet

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 15, 2020

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i'm using a keepass android app, seems okay

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

gonadic io posted:

i'm using a keepass android app, seems okay

last time i looked there weren't any reasonable-seeming apps for ios but maybe it's time to have another look

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
hold onto your butts

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
keepass

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

if you can't remember all of your (secure) passwords, you have too many accounts. close them and go outside.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Xaris posted:

I'm beginning to realize just how utterly abysmal security I have. I've got most everything stored in Chrome passwords, which is probably really loving stupid because I'm pretty sure they aren't encrypted at all and in "the cloud". I really do like the convenience of chrome suggesting highly complex passwords, remembering and pullIng them out. Does 1pass do that? And I don't use 2FA except on Steam and a few other sites, so I should probably set that up on everything I can. I guess Authy is the go-to for 2fa?

1Password can do that and also 2FA

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

keepass, synced to Dropbox and also manually backed up to a separate external HD and a flash drive every once in a while

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

carry on then posted:

if you can't remember all of your (secure) passwords, you have too many accounts. close them and go outside.

i wish you'd close your forums account!!!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I use 1password to track having way too many passwords for things and then I can reserve headspace for the billion work passwords I have but can't keep in a password manager

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I use the iCloud keychain or whatever is on my phone/macbook

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I like that 1password now has a much improved browser interface + 2FA code generators built in (and available on that web interface) so I can grab my personal passwords at work when I like need to log into my bank or something and don't want to go outside to look at my phone

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
chrome /chrome os built in password manager. i don't see the need for anything else

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i've gone from keeparse (bad browsers extensions), 1password (janky and moved to a sub model) to bitwarden

bitwarden is v good

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

i use pass. no browser integration because i dont trust browsers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i just use the one password op. its not very long so its easy to remember