Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
honestly i just have a unique password for my email and different one for my bank and everything else is pretty much the same password because i am a piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

echinopsis posted:

shame there is no middle ground between free and 1password

like 20 a year? yep for sure

1password family poo poo is like $5/mo and you can cram multiple people on there (up to 4 i think).

you get all the apps for free then, it owns.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fack you posted:

honestly i just have a unique password for my email and different one for my bank and everything else is pretty much the same password because i am a piece of poo poo

if this didnt work then no body would do it, but empirically we see that 99% of users do this therefore it's acceptable

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

1password is good but if you actually try to do cross platform without their cloud offering it won't work (i.e. use a 1password backup on windows)

not sure why

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
isn't that stuff all deprecated?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the cloud is my only friend

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

my dad informed me that he has a password-protected word document that he stores all of his account passwords in. so every time he needs to log in to something he unlocks the word document, finds login he needs, and pastes it. I tried telling him he should get 1password but he was skeptical.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kind Friend posted:

my dad informed me that he has a password-protected word document that he stores all of his account passwords in. so every time he needs to log in to something he unlocks the word document, finds login he needs, and pastes it. I tried telling him he should get 1password but he was skeptical.
This sounds inconvenient for organization and syncing but I think the current encryption in .docx files is actually secure so you could do worse, e.g. have plaintext password files lying around on your computers and a cloud drive that you randomly edit and probably let get out of sync like my father.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
plus someone would have to know that he definitely keeps his password in there, as opposed to hackers using generic attacks that would work on more than just your dad

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Keepass with every password using the generator, and a keyfile so I don't even have a password to unlock the database.

The keyfile is kept on a USB key.
The USB key is kept in my prison wallet.

Destroy the key if the feds come knocking. Let the NSA figure it out.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Kind Friend posted:

if the power went out would word make an autorecovery copy of a passworded document?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dielectric posted:

Keepass with every password using the generator, and a keyfile so I don't even have a password to unlock the database.

The keyfile is kept on a USB key.
The USB key is kept in my prison wallet.

Destroy the key if the feds come knocking. Let the NSA figure it out.

how do you keep your USB-destroying rear end from just chowing down on it at any time?

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

lancemantis posted:

how do you keep your USB-destroying rear end from just chowing down on it at any time?

A strict regimen of Kegel exercises has given me complete control of my sphincter. Security is a process.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

wouldn't it be better to not have a USB key that you need to destroy in order to avoid potential destruction of evidence charges?

larper
Apr 9, 2019
lastpass, its probably contributing to the epic memory leaks that firefox gets on my computer

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

my sister in law stores all her passwords in the contacts app lol

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

postits on my desk and zero social interaction

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Is post tits a fork of keep rear end?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m still using my iCloud Keychain and I donno if I’m making a big mistake.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nah if iCloud Keychain actually works for your usecase it's great as long as you're actually making unique passwords per site

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
still last pass

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’m still using my iCloud Keychain and I donno if I’m making a big mistake.

lol if you trust a timb cloud solution to not just randomly lose all your data

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

nah if iCloud Keychain actually works for your usecase it's great as long as you're actually making unique passwords per site

i saw some clickbait earlier this week about rumors that icloud keychain would be getting some 1password style features but i didnt read any of them. mainly because

WilWheaton posted:

lol if you trust a timb cloud solution to not just randomly lose all your data

im p. sure apple thinks sync and erase are interchangeable. im sure they did in the ipod era

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh yeah that's true, but if it's down/deleted it's secure sooooo 🤷‍♀️

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
icloud keystream will just one day be dumped like ping or newton

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

echinopsis posted:

you're thinking of google my dude

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

keychain has been reliable for me before, and during, my 1password use but i also have it in my time machine backups so the loss of them in icloud isnt a total loss

theres certainly worse solutions, but since it doesnt sync to all platforms its always been a second tier filler. i at least like that it keeps things like wifi networks synced too so one device can propagate logins to others

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

its going to stay, i'm sure the apple execs use it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

i at least like that it keeps things like wifi networks synced too so one device can propagate logins to others

i love this and icloud keychain is far superiour to scrub tier poo poo like lastpass and the marginally better, but still painful 1password

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Last Chance posted:

i love this and icloud keychain is far superiour to scrub tier poo poo like lastpass and the marginally better, but still painful 1password

if they looped into windows as a password manager id be right there with you. the icloud keychain integration into safari/apps/the os is so handy its kind of wild that it hasnt been spun into a more generally available feature for other platforms and browsers

i know 1p integrates similarly, but ill be the first to admit it isnt as smooth even with apples effort to allow closer interaction with password manager apps. it mainly shines as a workaround for bringing shared passwords to windows for me

oh yeah i also like the keychain-to-airdrop functionality of sharing a wifi password with a friend trying to connect because its always a pleasant feature i forget and rediscover

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i don't think they could loop in windows as much as they do mac os and ios because they dont write "the source codes" for windows

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sadly true. my guess would be a front end not unlike other password managers or plain old keychain itself with the a makeover for the original macos app

the browser integration would be the value add since thats probably the bulk of logins people use daily

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lancemantis posted:

1Password moved off of third party repo hosting to offering their own storage both to not have to deal with supporting multiple providers (Dropbox, iCloud) and Dropbox making things a bit tougher for them iirc

what happened here? i've been using 1pass with dropbox since the beginning and have never run into any issues

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my grandma writes all of hers in a notebook and honestly that's probably the best solution for most tech illiterate people

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

PIZZA.BAT posted:

what happened here? i've been using 1pass with dropbox since the beginning and have never run into any issues

So they have(had?) a way to be able to use your repo anywhere you could get to the Dropbox web interface from and iirc Dropbox was changing that interface in a way that would break that

Along with anything else that might have made using them more difficult

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

lancemantis posted:

So they have(had?) a way to be able to use your repo anywhere you could get to the Dropbox web interface from and iirc Dropbox was changing that interface in a way that would break that

Along with anything else that might have made using them more difficult

Also Dropbox sync isn't designed for the 1Password keychain, so syncing wasn't as efficient as it could be, so 1password accounts use their own sync thing and the keychain format is better able to handle syncing

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

I've used 1password for years, i resisted their subscription service for the longest time but finally gave in and coughed up the $35/year they wanted

it's really, really good

this is exactly me too. 1password owns, been using it for about 8 years. just started on the sub model and it rules

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

smh at no second factor

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

thx 4 the 6 month bump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

did u become unstuck in time??