Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
*dude who removes glasses and sees the truth meme*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty
Just throw them in an encrypted vim doc.
...wait what the gently caress was the decryption passphrase

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Nasty Old Randy posted:

waitwhatthefuck!Wasthedecryptionpassphrase1

thanks, now i gotta learn a new one :mad:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

they all suck so loving badly.

Used to use last pass. It's desktop client is unbelievable dogshit. Dropped that.
Went to 1password. doggggggggshit. Dropped that.

Literally ended up just building my own which has mega jank in some places, but it's my ideal UX, so there's that I guess.

i've used 1password for years but now the chrome extension and the app somehow get out of sync on the same computer and that's kind of upsetting

EDIT: what the gently caress, a new login I made yesterday shows up in the extension and in the iOS app, but not in the desktop app. 382 items in the iOS app, 380 in the desktop app what the christ

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 14, 2022

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lock it and unlock it when that happens

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i probably posted this already but i use 1password with the subscription licensing and it’s very good

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I am testing out 1Password

Conclusion so far: cool and good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Cold on a Cob posted:

ok i did a thorough evaluation of 1password and here are my thoughts

Pros:
  1. Good looking app.
  2. Categories are good and it's nice having templates for different types of entries
  3. Favourites and tags are also useful. I'd love folders too but most PWMs use one or the other vOv.
  4. Multiple TOTP and passwords and websites per entry is very useful. I can basically map my domain creds at work to one entry, add all my totps, etc. (Yes I give no fucks about my work creds lol)
  5. Watchtower works really well - it's nice to know if my passwords suck or were pwned or if 2fa is available, etc.
  6. Sharing passwords with family is extremely useful - we do have shared accounts for things like food delivery so it's nice.
  7. Works well with iOS password integration (I really wish windows would implement something like this so i wouldn't have to gently caress around with browser extensions).
  8. Separate Archive and Delete features are useful. You can archive old passwords you think you'll never use but can't delete, for example.
  9. Browser integration for login works really, really well. Out of ~75 websites I tried, it had trouble with 1.

Cons:
  1. Browser integration will not work for password updates - it generates a password, I apply it, but nothing is saved. Maybe a bug tbh? pebkac? Idk
  2. File attachments loving sucks. Documents are their own entry type and you can only attach one file per document.
  3. I would love more types of categories - ssh, ftp, etc. This is also why I want to attach files to entries!
  4. Turning off watchtower for certain entries only works with tags and only for http and 2fa. If you have a weak password you don't control (like my library pin) you can set it to ignore; instead you have to put the "password" in a non-primary password field and name it something like PIN so watchtower will ignore it.
  5. Import only really imports logins and maybe secure notes. No mass importing of files, api credentials, software licenses, etc.
  6. Searching sucks - it's pretty basic, it lets you search titles, tags, usernames, passwords, but if you want to see which entries have otp setup (for example) good luck. Want to search by date? Lol. No.
  7. The windows app (v7) is kinda janky. It refreshes a lot in weird ways and when I save an entry it is no longer selected. Right clicking and applying tags and such is janky too. I expected more polish than this.
  8. No multi-line "password" fields - useful for structured data you want to not just show when an entry is displayed, like a list of recovery keys.
  9. Small con but Watchtower doesn't let me specify a minimum password strength to evaluate my passwords.
  10. Closed source
  11. Many of these cons people have been asking the developers to fix/improve for YEARS with no promise or roadmap or anything

look at this nerd. lol.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

try 1pass 8 cold cock

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i started using 1pass ssh agent and i like it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

fart simpson posted:

look at this nerd. lol.

credential storage is no laughing matter, fart

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
Outlook notes, op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PIZZA.BAT posted:

credential storage is no laughing matter, fart

this is a solved problem as noted by me earlier in this thread

fart simpson posted:

i just use the one password op. its not very long so its easy to remember

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

1password is the best one.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm sad I read coac's list of cons because that's a good list of problems I didn't realize I had but I actually do.

Nonetheless I'll continue to stan 1password.

1passtanword.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

nvrgrls posted:

I'm sad I read coac's list of cons because that's a good list of problems I didn't realize I had but I actually do.

Nonetheless I'll continue to stan 1password.

1passtanword.

Passwords update fine for me, and I can attach more than 1 file per document type. So con #1 and 2 are out. The other ones idgaf about

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

yeah password updating has been fine for me

documents I never upload into 1password

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

ive been using 1password for years, scraping by without a subscription, manually syncing my password db because I refuse to use their cloud syncing service. i finally caved and paid for a subscription, but one month when my payment failed, they made my local password file read only so gently caress them

i switched to strong box and its p needs suiting

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
💪 📦

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

still using 1password, FANTASTIC score plus gold trophy in watchtower

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i use buttwarden

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I keep meaning to print out all my 1password and put it in the safe but then I keep not doing it .

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

look at this nerd. lol.

i just randomly found this post lol

i don't even remember writing all that, i must have been drunk or procrastinating at work

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

still using bitwarden 😎

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
for passwords i dont care about i let ffox manage them, for the important ones i write them down in a notebook.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cowboy beepboop posted:

still using bitwarden 😎

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

cowboy beepboop posted:

still using bitwarden 😎

same. it works.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I'm a 1Password man first and foremost

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

been using icloud for a while now, it's working surprisingly well

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

post hole digger posted:

still same

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i am still using bitwarden

also i went back and reread my posts in this thread and i'm beginning to wonder if i'm manic/depressive instead of just anx/depressive lol

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

post hole digger posted:

same

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

anyone running their own bitwarden server? i use syncthing/git/password-store right now, but the plaintext metadata bugs me. upside is i like that everything is encrypted to a hardware token (my yubikey's gpg applet)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

still same. they really got the lead out for unifying their experience this year, which has made the subscription worth it to stick 7 and now 8 on four different os' and not juggle licenses

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cold on a Cob posted:

i just randomly found this post lol

i don't even remember writing all that, i must have been drunk or procrastinating at work

i remember reading it

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

nudgenudgetilt posted:

anyone running their own bitwarden server? i use syncthing/git/password-store right now, but the plaintext metadata bugs me. upside is i like that everything is encrypted to a hardware token (my yubikey's gpg applet)

I don’t trust myself to manage anything, let alone something as important as my passwords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

resurrecting this thread to remind everyone that lastpass continues to be the worst
https://techcrunch.com/2022/12/22/lastpass-customer-password-vaults-stolen/