Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

someone was upgrading their studio and selling a stack of almost new MOTU AVB interfaces "cheap" so now i have a near infinite number of virtual knobs to fiddle and it is awesome. just plug in a network cable and the mixer interface is available through html, no drivers or software to worry about.

audiophiles can suck it with their flat boring DACs and neutral headphone amps, i want my music to sound engaging and now i have 24 independently filtered audio inputs and outputs

i shall make it my life goal to connect something to all of them

what's your favorite sound interface? i am also a big fan of the old soundblaster cards with EMU10k chipsets that kan run the crazy russian kX driver that gives you full control over the DSP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
b2 bomber op

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

zed-14 mixer board OP

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my motherboard has some audio ports on it, op

and I don’t use Linux so I can use them easily

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Doom 1993 through an SC-55 emulated on my phone.

Can never be beaten.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

im jealous

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

SRQ posted:

Doom 1993 through an SC-55 emulated on my phone.

Can never be beaten.

that sounds pretty sick; is the sc-55 being emulated as a midi device enumerated over usb or something? or the whole shebang

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

i bought a minidsp, op

fits me kneads

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i turned the bass and treble sliders on my old stereo to +10 for the best sound, op

Wutang-Yutani
Nov 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yamaha xg midi synth playing lemmings.mid

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yah i had an old rear end 20 bit echo layla for a while and it owned. driver support was only through winxp though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i just use the XLR jack on my Bausch & Lomb 3D Weltaanschaung, op

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

yah i had an old rear end 20 bit echo layla for a while and it owned. driver support was only through winxp though

Hey I remember that name
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2000/06/beosr5/

"Be followed through on implementing their multi-track media nodes, and we finally saw support for a lot of new sound devices: the Echo Gina, Layla, and Darla (all multi-I/O cards), and some Aureal Vortex and Vortex-2 based cards, among others."

I used a MOTU 828mk3 firewire for over 10 years but they finally dropped support for it in their drivers for Catalina I think.
I figure if these new AVB ones also last another 10 years the cost can almost be justified.

almost

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i need a rack sound interface again because i have this giant audio rack and mixer setup for the radios and stream and such and am using, uh, onboard sound plus this old m-audio mobilepre i found at the thrift lol. i should start trawling craigslist for some failed home studio gear

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

psiox posted:

that sounds pretty sick; is the sc-55 being emulated as a midi device enumerated over usb or something? or the whole shebang

yes.

You use a roland um-m1 mk2 (?) to connect it to ur phone/ipad/whatever via the acrual midi ports, and then back to the line-in.

notably you need a 3.5 out for this.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
why waste all that time. the xifi experience is better than studio quality

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

plug your headphones into the green port, that s what i do

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I used to have this ridiculous external sound card break out box that sat on my desk and i would lug the giant blue thing to lan parties despite it being completely impractical. Anyone happen to remember this brand? I don't think it was Creative labs or m-audio, or turtle beach. This was like 2000-2005ish

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

creative still has a big pyramid thing

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

back at my old university job we always used motu interfaces. i got tired of their lovely drivers or having 8 active speakers pop on / off when the computer went to sleep

switched to rme. so expensive but the drivers ruled

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

lord funk posted:

back at my old university job we always used motu interfaces. i got tired of their lovely drivers or having 8 active speakers pop on / off when the computer went to sleep

did you try installing Linux to fix the speakers popping :grin:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

r u ready to WALK posted:

what's your favorite sound interface?

the headphone jack usually

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

hell yeah glad the tradition is still alive

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

username post combo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

how's the knobfeel

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

its beautiful op

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I used to have the external version but I lost the breakout box :(

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Fayez Butts posted:

plug your headphones into the usb port, that s what i do

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

lord funk posted:

I just came in here to poo poo on motu so yeah sorry OP but gotta vent. I am now on my 2nd Audio Express because the 1st one blew up - literally smoke came out the grill so some component got fried. At least I got a free warranty replacement. The drivers are utter trash that blue screen with IRQ issues every so often with no way to manually set IRQ. As soon as this piece of turd dies i'm going for RME as well.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the 828mk3 only ever worked well for me in OSX, it would stutter a lot in windows, and the power supply died after 7 years. They were willing to fix it for a flat $70 or so which I though was pretty fair.

their AVB range doesn't need custom drivers, it just uses the OS USB audio device class drivers and all the fancy features is managed over the network which should simplify things a lot
heck, maybe you can even get sound in linux

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nuts and Gum posted:

I used to have this ridiculous external sound card break out box that sat on my desk and i would lug the giant blue thing to lan parties despite it being completely impractical. Anyone happen to remember this brand? I don't think it was Creative labs or m-audio, or turtle beach. This was like 2000-2005ish

hercules game theater xp

i had one too. completely forgettable.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jonny 290 posted:

hercules game theater xp

i had one too. completely forgettable.

holy poo poo yes! ty I forgot all about that brand :D

Had this one too. The 5 1/4 bay insert was much more practical than the breakout box.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah. the only problem with the sb live drive bay thing was that those midi ports switched mid-run from the proper 5 pin DIN connectors to some mini din poo poo, and they included dongles to adapt. and in a pre-shenzhen pre-amazon world fuckin lmao at trying to find replacements if you ever lost 'em

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i have this, with the breakout box intact. i still use it on seldom occasions

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i had a wow! box in college. it was kinda great

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

i've been using a motu 828 mk2 for quite a long time now. i'm using the 10 analogue inputs, and almost all the outputs. i think i'll need an additional interface soon!

fun fact: i used to work for MOTU. it stands for "Mark Of The Unicorn"!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

here's another fun motu story

when dp4 finally came out (like 1.5 yr later than it was expected), i got my copy but the serial code wouldn't activate it. so i called motu tech support and had this conversation:

motu: hello?
me: hi my serial number for dp4 doesn't work
motu: oh. try this one DP400-XXX-XXXX
me: uh, okay. thanks?

never asked me for my code, just gave me one

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Good Sphere posted:

i've been using a motu 828 mk2 for quite a long time now. i'm using the 10 analogue inputs, and almost all the outputs. i think i'll need an additional interface soon!

fun fact: i used to work for MOTU. it stands for "Mark Of The Unicorn"!
Sorry if you're the one who wrote the drivers :( On one hand you're probably cool but on the other, gently caress you! :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this thread making the point that a lot of the most hateable software is also the coolest stuff, vindicating the existence of the subforum. if there's nothing to hate you're probably doing something trivial.