Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

someone was upgrading their studio and selling a stack of almost new MOTU AVB interfaces "cheap" so now i have a near infinite number of virtual knobs to fiddle and it is awesome. just plug in a network cable and the mixer interface is available through html, no drivers or software to worry about.

audiophiles can suck it with their flat boring DACs and neutral headphone amps, i want my music to sound engaging and now i have 24 independently filtered audio inputs and outputs

i shall make it my life goal to connect something to all of them

what's your favorite sound interface? i am also a big fan of the old soundblaster cards with EMU10k chipsets that kan run the crazy russian kX driver that gives you full control over the DSP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

yah i had an old rear end 20 bit echo layla for a while and it owned. driver support was only through winxp though

Hey I remember that name
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2000/06/beosr5/

"Be followed through on implementing their multi-track media nodes, and we finally saw support for a lot of new sound devices: the Echo Gina, Layla, and Darla (all multi-I/O cards), and some Aureal Vortex and Vortex-2 based cards, among others."

I used a MOTU 828mk3 firewire for over 10 years but they finally dropped support for it in their drivers for Catalina I think.
I figure if these new AVB ones also last another 10 years the cost can almost be justified.

almost

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I used to have the external version but I lost the breakout box :(

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the 828mk3 only ever worked well for me in OSX, it would stutter a lot in windows, and the power supply died after 7 years. They were willing to fix it for a flat $70 or so which I though was pretty fair.

their AVB range doesn't need custom drivers, it just uses the OS USB audio device class drivers and all the fancy features is managed over the network which should simplify things a lot
heck, maybe you can even get sound in linux