Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i cba to quote the whole thing but harry reid helped start it etc

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a30916275/government-secret-ufo-program-investigation/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

reminder that the US military released this for whatever reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rWOtrke0HY

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Jose posted:

I wonder if the release of this video signaled a shift from the US government trying to keep a lid on this stuff. Maybe they realized ignoring UFOs is more of a national threat than trying to control the situation because it isn't possible.

If aliens wanted to fly around the atmosphere and watch us like an ant-farm they could do it with relatively minimal technology, and if they are spotted they can just fly away at UNPRECEDENTED speed.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Well it seems highly likely that many "UFOs" that have been historically reported were experimental aircraft being tested by the military.

Given that, the US government may really be concerned about other countries flying their own aircraft over US territory undetected.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvnxF6Hwwmg

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Well it seems highly likely that many "UFOs" that have been historically reported were experimental aircraft being tested by the military.

Given that, the US government may really be concerned about other countries flying their own aircraft over US territory undetected.

that seems concerning to me, yeah

Oiled and Ready has issued a correction as of 07:55 on Feb 16, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
my mother saw a UFO in the early 70s and she would never tell a lie

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pontificating rear end posted:

I wonder if the release of this video signaled a shift from the US government trying to keep a lid on this stuff. Maybe they realized ignoring UFOs is more of a national threat than trying to control the situation because it isn't possible.

If aliens wanted to fly around the atmosphere and watch us like an ant-farm they could do it with relatively minimal technology, and if they are spotted they can just fly away at UNPRECEDENTED speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPMmC0UAnj0

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

the book btw was "Are We Alone?: Philosophical Implications Of The Discovery Of Extraterrestrial Life" by paul davies

re: my mother's story. she was a teenager growing up in the texas panhandle when she saw this object floating in the sky. she remembers some of her neighbors also seeing it, and they ran down their street towards it and then it took off extremely fast. she told me this story when i was child. i later showed her that FLIR footage from the nimitz and she said it looked like that.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
well Hillary has said she is not even human on at least one occasion.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
guess i should talk about my sightings as well as what my grandfather did with radio post korea

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

go for it

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

my mother saw a UFO in the early 70s and she would never tell a lie

i believe women

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUyGnFFilP0
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Nimitz_UFO_incident

edit: this is the kind of poo poo where there are enough gaps in the official story, even if they're gaps due to omission, to make me think something weird is going on, but no actual evidence of what that weird thing would be. i'm assuming that it's just classified military technology being tested tho

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 06:58 on Feb 16, 2020

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SFRJCk8oK4&t=1330s

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Did they ever discover what the black knight object was?

I want to believe but HyperNormalisation tells me it's just a distraction

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Fleetwood posted:

Did they ever discover what the black knight object was?

I want to believe but HyperNormalisation tells me it's just a distraction

According to James Oberg, it may have been a thermal blanket.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
a very short version of most of these stories is "we were using test pilots as lawn jarts for most of the 1950s, 60s, and 70s, as a result of which there were a lot of booms, crashes, and military people saying NOTHING TO SEE HERE across the southwest"

seriously look up the F104, that glorified V2 pretended to fly so the Osprey could pretend to land

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's so they can justify more money for a Space Force and for the military industrial complex op

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Reminds me about how there's a few ex-Inteligence people in the UFOlogy community.
Dunno if its because they want to keep a watch on who's spotted their new aircrafts, or that these guys failed to find a better grift.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sighting #1 happened in Queen City, TX sitting on the front porch with my paternal grandfather in the late evening. I don't remember what we were talking about but I remember the pace of the porch swing slowing and stopping as we watched a black rectangle with smooth/curved edges cross the sky near a natural gas plant that was a few miles away. It drifted across the sky for at least 15 to 20 minutes before dusk finally turned into night and it vanished. My grandfather made a phone call after I kept asking him what it was the entire time we watched it.

Sighting #2: In 2000 in early August, after taking a miserable train ride to Tuscon, AZ from Dallas, TX. I got off at about 2am and into a car with my brother driving and his roommate riding shotgun. Laying in the back seat I watched the stars pass between Tuscon and Phoenix. Roommate piped up about a really fast plane coming in from his point of view. As I sat up an immense bright light flew over us towards what looked like an airport or small town in the distance.
It then floated to that place and hovered directly over it. My brother slowed the car and pulled it over. We watched in awe as it sped from one corner of the town to the next in seconds at just unbelievable speeds, which the town looked like lot up small office buildings and tall lamp posts a few miles from us. It continues it's frantic path and and forth until it comes to a dead still stop, shoots a single beam of light out and shoots off into the distance towards a mountain???. As the light went into the distance suddenly stopped again, became brighter, and shot through the clouds upwards and vanished, a moment later lightning ripped through the cloud.

#2 is still vivid, and as we were traveling down the highway we only a few cars at that time of the night, and a diesel truck passed us as we were pulled over and stopped a bit to also watch.

I've got 2 more sightings.

My maternal grandfather worked for one of the US Army designing and installing radio arrays in South America and Alaska post Korea. He ran his own radio stations on W and K but he apparently could access and broadcast on any band he wanted. He would show me insane old software and all his components that worked with vacuum tubes. He told me about a few of his sightings, one in an airplane over the Alutian islands.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
Theres a UFO show on CBS right now btw

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Ora Tzo posted:

Reminds me about how there's a few ex-Inteligence people in the UFOlogy community.
Dunno if its because they want to keep a watch on who's spotted their new aircrafts, or that these guys failed to find a better grift.

The video from MonsieurChoc details a case of an Air Force operative feeding BS about aliens to someone as a red herring.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Siljmonster posted:

Sighting #2: In 2000 in early August, after taking a miserable train ride to Tuscon, AZ from Dallas, TX. I got off at about 2am and into a car with my brother driving and his roommate riding shotgun. Laying in the back seat I watched the stars pass between Tuscon and Phoenix. Roommate piped up about a really fast plane coming in from his point of view. As I sat up an immense bright light flew over us towards what looked like an airport or small town in the distance.
It then floated to that place and hovered directly over it. My brother slowed the car and pulled it over. We watched in awe as it sped from one corner of the town to the next in seconds at just unbelievable speeds, which the town looked like lot up small office buildings and tall lamp posts a few miles from us. It continues it's frantic path and and forth until it comes to a dead still stop, shoots a single beam of light out and shoots off into the distance towards a mountain???. As the light went into the distance suddenly stopped again, became brighter, and shot through the clouds upwards and vanished, a moment later lightning ripped through the cloud.

#2 is still vivid, and as we were traveling down the highway we only a few cars at that time of the night, and a diesel truck passed us as we were pulled over and stopped a bit to also watch.

Well that's disturbing. Were you riding on Interstate 10 to Phoenix? Do you remember what time exactly it was when you first saw the plane? I want to get some picture of where this was.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

The video from MonsieurChoc details a case of an Air Force operative feeding BS about aliens to someone as a red herring.

If I was a scientist in the 1950s tasked with abducting people for government tests, you know how I'd make them too ashamed to tell anyone, and too insane to be believed if they did?

I'd dress up in a gray alien suit and shove a dildo up their rear end

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Oiled and Ready posted:

Theres a UFO show on CBS right now btw

this can’t be a coincidence :tinfoil:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

So apparently triggering lightning with lasers may be a thing:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13669-shooting-clouds-with-lasers-triggers-electrical-discharge/

And there is an airpark near to Interstate 10:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...1.3332176?hl=en

E: may be a thing

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I don't see any publicly known military bases between Tucson and Phoenix:
https://militarybases.com/arizona/

There's an aircraft boneyard in Tucson, but that's neither here nor there.

There is an AFB near Phoenix:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Air_Force_Base

Phoenix and Tucson also appear to be pretty active in UFO sightings.

America Inc. has issued a correction as of 08:49 on Feb 16, 2020

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Well that's disturbing. Were you riding on Interstate 10 to Phoenix? Do you remember what time exactly it was when you first saw the plane? I want to get some picture of where this was.

Yeah it was 10, I'd say anywhere between 210am and 330am. Unsure where exactly it was. 20 years have passed since then too. People tell me it was early drone testing but no loving way.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eco2s3-0zsQ

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Jose posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rWOtrke0HY

So a number of the military members involved in that incident got together and made a little mini documentary about that video.

(Just LOL if you think that the imaging systems on combat aircraft are as piss poor/low resolution as what you see in the official video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRgoisHRmUE

I highly recommend the documentary, has a variety of interviews with eyewitnesses, including the pilots and radar operators who were involved.

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 19:23 on Feb 16, 2020

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

if any cspam posters/lurkers are extraterrestrial or otherwise otherworldly in origin, pm me

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
are you telling me that an advanced race travelled millions of light years to get here and all to join an Internet forum where they can ironically call someone else the n-word?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I want to believe

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

is there any evidence that such aliens may hold beliefs comparable to communism?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

SorePotato posted:

is there any evidence that such aliens may hold beliefs comparable to communism?

*points towards the space brothers*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

SorePotato posted:

Only post scarcity societies would be capable of this sort of interstellar space travel so would have to be communist