Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How to set the clock
some arcane command line poo poo
you just cant
your holding it wrong
put linux in the trash
View Results

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
ive never had sound issues ever but i always get that poo poo where the video feed just cuts out and im forced to hard reboot the machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i installed arch

and it put me into a command prompt.

poo poo is worthless imma try gentoo

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

akadajet posted:

I mean, linux is a joke. But "sound doesn't work in linux" isn't a joke. That's serious.

Thanks for coming to every linux thread and posting this one thing in each of them.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
BRB using the forums search to find every thread about xbox games and posting "but its true that the xbox is huge".

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I feel like this looks like.. not something an adult would use

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah, not like this

serious software for adults doing business

mystes
May 31, 2006

echinopsis posted:

I feel like this looks like.. not something an adult would use
What are you talking about? https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/by-others/funroll-loops/Gentoo-is-Rice.html

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

funroll loops y'all

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

It not a joke. I remember it not working on mandrake back in the day.

I remember sound not working with 2.2 kernels and Slackware or red hat.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

yeah, not like this

two childrens operating systems do not make an adult operating system

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Thanks for coming to every linux thread and posting this one thing in each of them.

you're welcome. just remember, don't use linux on your daily driver

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

two childrens operating systems do not make an adult operating system

they might pass if they're standing one on the other in a trench coat. like fedora

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the first linux i installed was in 2002 or 2003 or something, as in before ubuntu. couldnt get the sound to work.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oss worked if you had a sound blaster compatible card. then the ac97 chipset came out and nothing worked. alsa replaced oss and nothing worked.

at some point someone figured out how to make the bog standard realtek audio chipsets work without requiring a bunch of bullshit and the linux audio jokes mostly became passe

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that was so bad lol

burning swine
May 26, 2004

postin' from arch. my sound works. I did have to roll back an update to glibc to launch my browser though

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Idk what the fu** you are doing that you are not compiling your own clock.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i installed freebsd, arch and gentoo

and they were all boring

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

echinopsis posted:

i installed freebsd, arch and gentoo

and they were all boring

You should install them inside a virtual machine hosted in an unix machine.

The Sponge
Sep 15, 2006
Grimey Drawer
every year i install lunix on the desktop to see if i can use it yet without some awful, screeching flaw.

last year, i installed ubuntu. i updated it. i installed the nvidia drivers. the machine would load the kernel and then immediately hang. lol
this year, i replaced the desktop with a laptop and egpu, so i have few hopes my experiment will go well

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

The Sponge posted:

every year i install lunix on the desktop to see if i can use it yet without some awful, screeching flaw.

last year, i installed ubuntu. i updated it. i installed the nvidia drivers. the machine would load the kernel and then immediately hang. lol
this year, i replaced the desktop with a laptop and egpu, so i have few hopes my experiment will go well

Are you going to install Lunix again?

The Sponge
Sep 15, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Billa posted:

Are you going to install Lunix again?

yeah, tell me what distro i have the best hope of for not wanting to pitch my poo poo out the window

right now i use debian+xfce in a vm pretty heavily for development

edit: i have amd now if that helps

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

The Sponge posted:

yeah, tell me what distro i have the best hope of for not wanting to pitch my poo poo out the window

oh if you have amd then everything should be fine with any distro. gently caress Itanium.

The Sponge
Sep 15, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Billa posted:

oh if you have amd then everything should be fine with any distro. gently caress Itanium.

it's operton a and i dont see a download link on ubuntu.com, please advise

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

The Sponge posted:

it's operton a and i dont see a download link on ubuntu.com, please advise

Don't worry my friend, the little compiler dwarves will find you and smack the poo poo outta your lunix.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hrm, was inspired by this thread to install fedora 31 since my current project actually involves a lot of file-touching not running exactly impressively on my dying ssd in windows. it hardlocks my xps15 on trying to start xorg.

i almost suspect my media is corrupt, because this has to be among the more common linux laptops around, but have other things to do, so left for another day.

i can't determine whether it would have made sounds, since the lock happens a bit too early to make it convenient to test.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
at some point of my history of terrible os choices I was a gentoo user

I don't remember any problem with the sound, at least not any problem that stood out among all the other problems

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

yeah, not like this

i desperately want to go back to this, what we have now in windows 10 is infinitely worse

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

oss worked if you had a sound blaster compatible card. then the ac97 chipset came out and nothing worked. alsa replaced oss and nothing worked.

at some point someone figured out how to make the bog standard realtek audio chipsets work without requiring a bunch of bullshit and the linux audio jokes mostly became passe

that is a way oversimplifying history of the hilarity of audio on linux, it was a solid 20 years of poo poo being broken and almost always for really dumb reasons.

it might currently work ok, but that's only a short blip until someone (well, if anyone cares as much about desktop linux as ubuntu did back in the early days of pulseaudio) pushes pipewire into service.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i actually agree with that - if pipewire actually sets out to replace pulseaudio, sound on linux will turn to poo poo for years

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

not in love with your terminal font ,op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Sponge posted:

use clear linux OP

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

this thread is embarrassing

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

try pulling out the little knob and turning it, OP. if you pull it out all the way you set the hour hand, half-way to set the minute hand

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it is a linux thread, i guess it's not so surprising no one has mentioned the date command so far

alias man to woman and then woman date, pretend it's a valentine

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
what idiot sets their clock manually via date

a: a large number of the senior devops engineers i support who apparently had never heard of ntpd or why you would use it

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

posting from cheap used thinkpad that i just got from courier, installed ubuntu so i can proudly say that i can use linux, never used one, so far it's ok, still think win10 is superior for every day use, maybe i'll install arch some day on it, for now i think it's too much for me

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

alias man to woman and then woman date, pretend it's a valentine

sounds like you've been down this road before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I discovered that I have an Itnel processor which means I can run any lunix I want.

Itnel 4tw.