Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Depends on how you look at it, I guess. Being cruel to a rock probably doesn't mean much in the way of karma but it doesn't reflect well on you either. But not to the same degree it would if you were cruel to a dog. I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Reddit is the spiritual materialism (and every other kind of materialism) capital of the internet, and a hive of frauds besides, so I wouldn't take any of those responses especially seriously.

If anything I think with hobbies and "unwholesome" entertainment or whatever it is not necessarily a problem to indulge in those things, except if/when those things become a significant distraction in other areas of your life; that is, it's fine to play video games, but if playing them is causing other problems (ignoring other duties, or consuming a large degree of your thoughts when you're not playing them, causing you rage and anxiety) then it is worth taking a step back to cultivate the state of mind that allows you to look at their role and presence in a detached way as such that you can see that problem. In other words, if you have been playing Elden Ring for 7 hours straight, mindfulness is looking at that and realizing that it is a problem without getting judgmental of yourself for having done it but instead taking time to refocus.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I watched that one last night. It's a good'n

It's amazing how basically nothing he said was even remotely close to Zen, and even more amazing that he's been dead for 25 years and still has devoted followers

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Tias posted:

Attaining enlightenment through bideo james is so goon-appropriate I think we have to condone it, really.

Sekiro made me reflect on how eternal life could be a curse

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Sekiro is in fact the most Buddhist game

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Spacegrass posted:

I think when I die I'm going to meet God and Jesus, but I'm a dedicated Christian. Anyway I guess that means enlightenment from the hell on earth I'm going through.

Huh?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah Spacegrass given your post history in this thread I'm not sure if you're genuinely confused and looking for a dialog or if you're doing a bit.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Pollyanna posted:

What exactly is happening here, when it comes to my wellbeing? Is this emptiness because of some ignorance or attachment I neglected to address? Are my thoughts and actions inherently clouded until this passes or resolves? And if so, what do I do now? What has this loss caused, and how has it changed how I feel and think? (Is it even a loss at all, or am I just deluded or mistaken?)

My cat passed away a few weeks ago, and my feelings about it are a jumbled mess. The grieving process takes time and effort, and everyone goes through it differently, I know - but there’s still a lot of doubt and a lot I don’t understand.

Basically: I don’t know how or where to start. I really want to put what I’ve learned to use here, but it’s a tough battle to cut my teeth on. There’s all sorts of books I can read and dharma talks I could listen to and think I’m helping myself, but I’ve been stuck in a rut for a while now. I’m running out of the energy and arrogance needed to think that I can do everything myself without any help. I’m not sure I even really understand what’s going on…

Reason I bring it up here is that I’m having trouble adjusting. Reeling from the loss of a close friend has left me a sort of “emptiness”, or a void left by their presence. I had a decade-long companion that I gave love and affection to and (hopefully) received back tenfold every day, and now I suddenly don’t. That’s a major mental, physical, psychological, and emotional shift in a short amount of time. So you can probably guess what going cold turkey is like, and how that’s going.

I've rearranged your post here to illustrate that at least some of your confusion originates in the fact that you seem to be putting the answers first and the questions second, and reading your words in this way may be enlightening.

The attachment that's troubling you isn't the one to your cat, but rather to the idea that you "should" be grieving in some way that you're not, and it's prompting these questions. That is the attachment that's plaguing you. Buddhism does not advocate being indifferent to loss or stoic in the face of it.

You have asked, "I have lost a dear friend; why am I clouded and empty?" Instead answer, "Why am I clouded and empty? Because I have lost a dear friend."

Heath fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 25, 2024

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Paramemetic posted:

Om mani padme hung.

Big dick Buddha energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦