Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMania
May 7, 2008
I’ve never meditated a single time that has felt like people describe it, but maybe there is an analogy here to yoga. I used to think yoga was a thing you set aside intentional time for and it was suboptimal (at best) without a mat, loose clothes, and an instructor. Now I feel it is a relationship to my body: what muscles do I need to use right now, and how little effort is actually needed? I either practice yoga for a few hours a week or every waking hour, accordingly.

Except I can feel how tight my muscles are, think back to the last time I injured myself doing everyday activities, etc. And now that I don’t ‘practice yoga’ and instead practice relaxing muscles that are tensed for no reason, all of those metrics are better than they have ever been.

To circle back to meditation, I guess I’m just hoping that I can allow thoughts that are getting in the way of my purpose to drift away like they are supposed to during meditation, except all the time. It seems limiting to hope that someday I could allow unhelpful thoughts to drift away when I’m cross-legged in my darkened living room.. wouldn’t it be cool if I could do that in a boring meeting at work? Stuck in traffic? Because those are the situations where it would be the most useful to be able to stop my monkey brain from telling me how horrible the situation I’m in is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMania
May 7, 2008
Thanks for the useful reply, I love "habit pressing" way more than "meditation," the former is delightfully generic. I will continue honing my tools!