Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
Many Zen teachers would probably respond to this discussion with the classic Mumonkan Case 1, Joshu's reply to the question "Does this dog have Buddha-nature?". Taking Mazu's "Mind is Buddha", and applying it to the discussion itt, it's "is this dog 'minded' or not?", and Joshu's answer is enough to provide a lifetime of study and practice. As for my interpretation of his answer and how it pertains to this conversation from specifically a Zen perspective, the answer is that the question misses the point entirely. The point of Zen practice is the realization of one's own nature, which cannot be accomplished by stacking concepts on top of other concepts and building up an intellectual understanding of all the right answers. There's no such thing as closer or further away, but by burying oneself in pointless questions neither the bodhisattva nor sentient beings are helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

May be worth reading Thich Nhat Hanh, whose country was literally being set on fire around him, for perspective on how to practice when surrounded by mass cruelty and death.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

corn haver posted:

I'm considering the possibility of somehow convincing/tricking reddit atheists, jordan peterson freaks, and similar types into becoming stream-entrants, giving them the dustless, stainless Dharma eye, knowing that all conditioned things are subject to disintegration. Not just understanding that with their cognition, but connecting with their emotional heart, their citta. Their stupid emotional heart that has to see things directly rise and fall and then just knows. Those guys loving suck and remind me of myself in the early 2000s reading the internet as a kid/young teen in terms of emotional intelligence. I think it would be really funny if it worked even once.

parable of the burning house but the 3 carts the buddha claims are outside are full of the dankest weed, the most expensive NFT's, and the most potent nootropics

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Nessus posted:

I think ram dass here meant as the equivalent of the wonderful cart that the father in that parable was promising to all his distracted kiddies. Many people wouldn't be too stoked about a jeweled cart these days. Perhaps a Model X with custom interiors...

Yeah that's what I meant the point isn't to actually shower them with weed and nfts and nootropics it's to get em out that gat dang house!

quote:

To address your broader point, I think introducing people to the dharma in various ways is good, and having an avenue of approach that avoids certain obstacles is good; but I think you can be TOO clever and end up with the 'dark Buddhism' people, who are kind of missing the point even if I expect their practice (if they actually practice) will eventually fix their wagons. Sort of like the old Hindu story of the bandit who was given the mantra "mara mara mara mara" except that if you say "mara mara mara mara" a lot, you're also saying "Rama Rama Rama Rama" long story short the bandit got SAVED

haven't heard that story before but that's delightful

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

corn haver posted:

Sorry everyone. I am having difficulty adapting to an experience I had that has impacted me deeply and I've only ever been exposed to a random hodgepodge of Buddhist stuff on the internet.

the burning house is a bit from the lotus sutra and it's a good bit and a good sutra op

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Bilirubin posted:

I love logging into the thread in the mornings to find several posts. You all always give a lot to think about.

Was reading the The Teaching of Buddah last night, and we're starting to get to the heart of things. One thing stood out to me, about looking into the sky and there being no innate concept of East or West, except for that which we humans introduce. That resonated.

It's a personal habit of mine to push this one level down every time I possibly can - the "no innate East or West" in nature except what we humans introduce is true in the specific and (because of?) the general. All dualities are mental constructs that consciousness is projecting on the universe. And it's separate from good and/or bad, because the essential function of the human brain is to conceptualize functional frameworks of duality that allow us to navigate life in the world, to a degree of success. All dualities are empty as the east and west; as I learned from Thich Nhat Hanh a while back; no mud, no lotus!

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Great post, lots of interesting questions. Two things that have stuck with me that are connected to several of the ideas in this post is the following teaching.

A student asked Mazu, "Why do you teach that 'Mind is Buddha'?"
Mazu replied, "To stop the baby from crying"
The student followed up, "What is it when the crying stops?"
Mazu replied, "Not mind, not buddha"

&

Mazu's lineage descendent Baizhang's own student, Huangpo, would later describe the teachings as 'like waving a shiny object in front of a crying baby, knowing the object isn't really gold, letting it go once the crying has ceased'.

A lot gets lost in translation sometimes, but my understanding is that the concept of upaya encompasses not only expedient means for teaching the dharma, but skillfull means. It's not just expedient deception to get the children out of the burning house or to stop the baby from crying, it's skillfully applied without attachment for the purpose of liberation from suffering. The dharma of no-dharma is what allows this nonattachment. The nonattachment to the dharma of no-dharma itself is what allows for the situational use of teachings that are untrue in order to provoke realization of that which is.

The difference between a sage and a mortal is that the mortal believes there is a difference between a sage and a mortal. Once this and other reinforcing beliefs are relinquished there is no dharma and there is no practice. If the devil were behind this, it seems quite unlikely that the goal and result would be liberation. Put into Christian terms, if the devil somehow tricked you into obeying the commandments and living a just and Godly life and accepting Jesus Christ and so on and so on and receiving your personal redemption in the hereafter, would it matter? Would you arrive in Heaven feeling duped?

Big ramble. Good questions. Thanks for posting!

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

prom candy posted:

Okay follow up question: where does one go about picking a mantra?

the heart sutra closes with an absolute banger

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

This is just another form of attachment to the belief in practice-enlightenment. The true fruit of Buddha's teaching is inclusive of nonattachment to the practice, which is why I am throwing my keyboard away and buying a new one instead of cleaning it. call it endless death and rebirth as I unbox a pristine new keyboard from amazon prime. the end result is the same, we both have clean keyboards, you've just bought and sold a story called "samsara, nirvana, and keyboard goop" as part of your process of instantiation.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Treat the "itching to be done" feeling like a cryptid that had just wandered into a clearing without it noticing you watching from a hidden vantage point. now every time you get to that point in your meditation it is an opportunity to notice characteristics and behaviors of your own personal Bigfoot. What does it do? What does it need? What does it look like? What are its intentions? How does it behave?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Bilirubin posted:

That's very close to the statue and is likely it. Thanks!

e. "Avalokiteśvara has evolved into the somewhat different female figure Guanyin or Guanshiyin, also known as Kannon or Kanzeon in Japan, Gwanseum in Korea and Quán Thế Âm in Vietnamese." definitely it!

Yunyan asked Daowu, ‘How does the Bodhisattva Guanyin use those many hands and eyes?’ Daowu answered, ‘It is like someone in the middle of the night reaching behind her head for the pillow.’ Yunyan said, ‘I understand.’ Daowu asked, ‘How do you understand it?’ Yunyan said, ‘All over the body are hands and eyes.’ Daowu said, ‘That is very well expressed, but it is only eight-tenths of the answer.’ Yunyan said, ‘How would you say it, Elder Brother?’ Daowu said, ‘Throughout the body are hands and eyes.’

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Other than the Heart Sutra that's my favorite little bit of Avalokiteśvara story. Compassion like flipping your pillow over to the cool side in the middle of the night. It's uncontrived, spontaneous and direct action taken with the type of intention to help from oneself to oneself. But if you see through the conceptual barriers that delude you into the belief in self and other, all compassionate action is this way. The nature of the bodhisattva of compassion is hands and eyes; undeluded sight and uncontrived action. No self-and-other, no negotiation or thought of reward, simply the perception of suffering and the skillful motion towards the easing of that suffering. Lovely. Flip the pillow over to the comfortable side, because you can, and it's that simple.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Achmed Jones posted:

i know a dude who is very, very nice and interested in buddhism. he got interested in it because he was a secular meditator, and had a really intense no-self experience just walkin around one day, turning the bathroom light off. he was really, really moved by this and it got him into dharma. my skeptical brain is thinking "wow, he had a tiny stroke or seizure or whatever," but the fact remains that this experience - whatever it was - put him on the path. and given that, the physiological causes aren't important (unless he needs a checkup i guess but you know what i mean)

so what i'm saying is

first one then the other

yunmen became enlightened after having his foot broken in a slammed door. yes, years of study and practice preceded it but the precipitating incident of his awakening was his own bones breaking. if there was a method, there would be attachment to the method. non-attachment to the path of no-method means we can include all methods, and if the buddha-nature is truly universal, it is revealed in all things, everywhere, at all times. one just has to learn skillful squinting to see it.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Regarding the big spooky oblivion anxiety, what helped tremendously for me moving through my own experience of it was the simple question: to who does this anxiety belong?

Don't try to answer it, don't make up an understanding, just continue to ask the question whenever the oblivion anxiety appears: to whom does this belong?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Cephas posted:

Anyone have recommendations for books about Korean Buddhism or books that are major works of Korean Buddhism? I know very little about Korea's flavor of Buddhism but have heard some cool things ("what is this?" as a focus of meditation, intellectual approaches to integrating gradual awakening with sudden awakening)

Personally, I'm much more afraid of samsara than oblivion lol. I'd take endless oblivion over samsara if I could. But I believe there is a Buddhist description of oblivion-beings who exist basically without physical form or mental action and think they have reached eternal oblivion, but are merely living out long stretches of time in an impermanent form. So oblivion's not really the end that it's cracked up to be.

big fan of "Dropping Ashes on the Buddha" for some Korean styled Zen teaching. Always a caveat when recommending Seung Sahn, he apparently had consenting relationships with several of his students and some people don't like that. I still got a lot out of the book, though. Actually, I got less than nothing out of it.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Bilirubin posted:

How does one maintain practice if sick?

The Vimalakirti sutra is one of my favorites and has a lot of wonderful things to say on the topic. In wholly inadequate summary; the same way one practices when not sick. The sickness is an experience of phenomena, and can be used to observe the 3 marks of existence. One can also pose the question, "do whom does this sickness belong?" "Whose nausea is this?" etc etc etc. Get well soon!

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Cephas posted:

Thank you for the recommendation. I've been really appreciating this book. I didn't really understand how koan study could lead to greater awareness compared to things like sitting meditation, but now that I'm reading this book it's become perfectly clear to me. Just the act of reading and considering his dialogues is a form of meditation.

His idea about zen being a 360 degree circle with four points on it (dualistic thinking at 0, nondualistic thinking at 90, impermanence at 180, co-arising at 270, and full awakening at 360 again, basically) is really elucidating. I also was really surprised by his explanation of koans. He says something like, "in Chinese medicine, if you have a hot disease, you cure it with hot medicine. Dharma talks and koans exist because so many people having a disease of words and thoughts, so we make a words-and-thoughts cure."

KATZ!

I'm glad you're enjoying it! Same thing for me, a lot of very clarifying stuff in there. I especially like the repeated use of "A quarter is twenty-five cents" :hai:

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Thank you for sharing your story, LuckyCat. FWIW in my meaningless estimation there is no contradiction there at all; the concept of emptiness is itself empty and those who insist in a belief in no-self are a little too nihilistic for my tastes. There is no-self, and the name of this no-self is the Self, or Ram or any of its other names. Or, there is the Self, and the name of this Self is no-self. Every seeming contradiction is just guiding us towards nonduality as its resolution, in my experience. If it seems like contradiction, I investigate "seems like".

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Nessus posted:

My take is that there are individuals, and what we could call souls, on a pragmatic basis; even if the underlying truth is different. Fundamentally the point of practice is to reach towards liberation from suffering, so in a certain sense it is a moot point; if we walk the bodhisattva's path or practice diligently we will surely find out the more advanced answers in time, and there may be things which are genuinely hard or impossible for people in this situation of ours to fully comprehend.

99% agree. there is no conceptual understanding based on words and ideas and beliefs that approaches experiential knowing; that's one reason why in many cases it's a million times better to chant a sutra than to read one. the point of practice is the actualization of the theoretical. the old cliche, "in theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is". I think it's in the teachings of Huang Po, probably a lot of other places as well, the example of developing a complex understanding of chemistry and physics and the interactions of water molecules and thermodynamics and farenheit, celcius, and kelvin scales to ascertain the temperature of a glass of water - versus the act of taking a sip and knowing instantly for yourself whether it's cool or hot water.

As you said, comprehension is not the goal. You don't need to be an astronomer or nuclear physicist to look at a sunset and instantaneously experience awe and reverence at the natural beauty on display. My western academia mind had a very difficult time accepting this but eventually it became extremely funny to me how hard I once fought against the idea. Comprehension is not the goal, understanding is not the goal. As you said, it's liberation. Bodhidharma called it "the freedom that arises from seeing oneself". That's drinking from one's own cup of interiority and experiencing the pervasiveness of buddha-nature, not settling on a once-and-for-all conceptual argument for the existence of a soul.

ram dass in hell fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 19, 2022

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Cephas posted:

Lately I've been having this sort of strange cognitive state. It will happen at different points in the week, not during meditation. This is an example of what it felt like today:
I was parking my car after driving home from work. I turned off my car and, looking at my hands, suddenly felt very conscious of how my hands exist in a conditioned state. It's hard to explain exactly what that is like. I guess I would say, I normally take the appearance of my hands for granted, but this time they looked to me the way they'd look to someone other than myself, and I felt very aware of my position as a single subject. Then I looked out at a large tree whose leaves were rustling in the wind, and took in how all the leaves of all the trees around me were rustling in the wind. I didn't feel especially emotional, but I felt the beginning of tears swelling in my eyes and felt a little lightheaded, and it felt like I was taking in a mass of sensory information all at once. I felt like I could disappear into a single leaf quivering on a tree in the distance.

My brain can be kind of funky as someone with mental health issues, and I've had much more challenging and alarming cognitive states than this, but they've generally been quite negative. By comparison, this mental state seems pretty benign except that it seems a little bit crazy to be staring off into space like that.

In the past, I've occasionally had what I'd call "the warm fuzzies," where in the middle of a crowded street or something, I'll feel an awareness of deep warm empathy and connection with everyone and everything around me. But this new sensation, which has only started after reading the koans in Dropping Ashes on the Buddha, does not feel like a warm fuzzy. It feels more like the feeling of becoming aware that I'm in a lucid dream. Like being slightly startled into thinking, "Wait, what is this?"

Does this sound benign, or possibly even beneficial? It's not something I can do on demand; it just seems to happen at different times. If it only happened during meditation, I would dismiss it, but the fact that it happens on its own is a little concerning to me.

The disclaimer up front is that we're approximating subjective conscious experiences using words and I may be completely incorrect in correlating this with something I've experienced, that sounds similar to me, but I'd rather just get the words into the post and let you be the judge rather than refrain from sharing what that sounds like to me. I think you did a very good job articulating some things that are difficult to articulate. I'll make my attempt:

Your description of looking at your hand or the trees and the leaves reminds me of something that started happening to me when I first started consistently and intentionally meditating, which coincided with a time when I was doing a daily 5k jog to get some exercise and clear my mind. After a few months the jog stopped being quite as challenging and I was able to start to really enjoy it. Every so often while running I would have a moment that would start with the realization that I wasn't anxious. At all. And after a few more moments the thinking would start up, but a different sort of thinking, in the absence of anxiety. This was at the time a very novel thing for me, the notion of the absence of anxiety just noteworthy in and of itself. I would think things like huh, I'm breathing and feeling my heartbeat and seeing the path and feeling my footfalls hit the dirt and seeing the sun nearing the horizon and smelling the trees around me and without putting names on everything the totality of this whole thing is really quite lovely and I feel so lucky to be here and to be experiencing this. But then I would realize I called it a thought but it was actually nonverbal and what I was having was just the experience of feeling that, and being that feeling, in that place and time. Not the words describing the feeling, or the analyzer of the words describing the feeling, or, or, or, and so on.

First, I think the warm fuzzies you're describing are in the neighborhood of bodhicitta. When it springs up in an unprompted and uncontrived way it's quite wonderful. Depending on who you listen to, and I'll say it does make a lot of sense to me, this is essentially the whole ballgame. Practice, get enlightened, see your original self, become a buddha, what difference does it make? When the warm fuzzies of universal interconnectivity and deep empathy with everyone and everything are there, where is dukkha, where is practice, where is progress?

And then I ask myself, well, where do these feelings of universal empathy and interconnectedness go, when they're not present?

And then I ask myself, "Go?"

And then I remember they can't go anywhere at all, because there's nowhere to go but here and there's nothing I am but that.

As for:

quote:

It feels more like the feeling of becoming aware that I'm in a lucid dream. Like being slightly startled into thinking, "Wait, what is this?"

That to me feels like the purpose of the koan practice you've been getting into. Phrased another way, per Joshu, being gently startled into thinking "wait, what is this?" is Mu. Phrased another way per Linji, it's a slap in the face. Phrased another way per Seung Sahn, it's a slap of the floor. The reason we aren't always asking the question Wait, What Is This is because our conditioning has us constantly experiencing sensory phenomena through conceptial filters we've grown habituated and conditioned to through culture, upbringing, and so on. It's not a bad thing, it's how our brains keep us alive. The only way we can function is through nonstop heuristic and simplification of a firehose of sensory input. Meditation practice can help us bring awareness to these processes by slowing the flow of sensory input down to something manageable like the breath or the support of the cushion. Koan practice can help us bring awareness to the filters themselves, in many cases by highlighting a contradiction, subverting an expectation, or otherwise calling attention to the liminal spaces where our conceptual filtering autopilot is the easist to perceive. To me, the connection you made with lucid dreaming stands out - it's not new knowledge, it's just remembering. And maybe it's a particular kind of remembering, it's remembering identity. What is this? Asked with a gentle and humble, calm and warm curiosity, - is that question not what and who you are?

You mentioned before that you enjoyed Seung Sahn's circle analogy; what you're describing reminds me of this case from the Blue Cliff Record koan collection. I love this one. The way I relate to it has changed over time but currently I think what I like the most is the economy of language; Nansen cuts down attachment to form and attachment to formlessness with a single phrase. It's not correct to say the flower is or isn't a dream. It's beautiful, is what it is.

ram dass in hell fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 19, 2022

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Paramemetic posted:

exhausted our merit, thread back in avici again

it's a living

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

That's one of the marks of a buddha, earlobes get long af, clairvoyance, big rear end om tattoo, nipplelessness. Try not to cling to these things, despite how they make us feel.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

prom candy posted:

Something I'm struggling with lately is being against killing and violence but also a lingering belief that violence might be the only way to achieve certain political aims, if not now then in the future. I find it hard to square that.

the baghavad gita freakin owns

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Nessus posted:

Return of book club, overcoming Mara again:

Got through the part in Heart of the Buddha's Teaching about the two truths. The explanation of 'the rose is not a rose; therefore it truly is a rose' felt like it pieced together a lot of little things I had heard or thought in passing. It's a very efficient way of expressing the idea of aggregates, I suppose.

So uh y'all wanna read another book sometime? :v:

yeah let's do it

any book will do but if there's nominations i nominate this little bundle of joy

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Nessus posted:

I imagine he was at least aware of some of the concepts if possibly through their wholesale theft by Germans

To be uncharitable for a moment, in light of my sophomore-level understanding of Buddhist theology, I often read summations of 19th or early 20th century European philosophers and think, "Oh, these guys know about Buddhism, they're just salty about it not saying just what they wanted."

This looks cool, is there a free/cheap PDF version floating around?

https://terebess.hu/zen/Huangpo.pdf

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Nessus posted:

Finally getting through the back of The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching. The anecdote of the Buddha and Ananda caring for the dysentery-stricken monk on page 165 was surprisingly moving - and I suppose if that is the true spirit of 'the sangha' then we definitely have it here :3:

Does it have a source in the sutras?
i'm not aware of a specific source in the sutras , but to me it feels very connected to the three jewels idea, buddha, dharma, and sangha are all not only important but essential, not only essential but identical with one another, the same substance. you can't have true community without recognizing and respecting the buddha-nature of others, and you can't perceive or embody the dharma of no-dharma without perceiving and recognizing the buddha-nature of others, which you can't do without creating and participating in true community.

another story that I like and feels related to this one:

One day, Ananda and the Buddha were sitting alone on a hill together, overlooking the plains of the Ganges. Having served as the Buddha’s attendant for many years, Ananda often shared his reflections and insights with him. This afternoon, Ananda spoke. “Dear Respected Teacher,” Ananda said. “It seems to me that half of the spiritual life is good friendship, good companionship, good comradeship.” I imagine that Ananda said this with some level of confidence for praising the merits of spiritual friendship. But the Buddha quickly corrected him: “Not so, Ananda! Not so, Ananda!” Ouch! Probably Ananda wasn’t expecting such a stern rebuke. But the Buddha was offering a powerful teaching. He continued, “This is the entire spiritual life, Ananda, that is, good friendship, good companionship, good comradeship. When a monk has a good friend, a good companion, a good comrade, it is to be expected that he will develop and cultivate the noble eightfold path.”

Good friends don't leave friends lying in their own diarrhea! Seems clear!

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

sat with this for a bit today and I like it more

the reason buddha's answer is what it is, is that from the bodhisattva perspective all suffering sentient beings are wracked with a dysentery of consciousness called dukkha, samsara, maya, all those types of names. it's very simple; when someone is suffering you help them. the dysentery patient needs medicine and to stop drinking dirty water. the sentient being doesn't need medicine. it can stop its suffering in an instant of self-recognition if the circumstances are right. the eightfold path is among other things a sort of guide for manifesting the right circumstances. or for recognizing them. to tie into the dysentery analogy in closing, for getting one's poo poo together.

the monk or yogi's vow of abstinence is called in sanskrit, 'bramacharya' , and IANA Sanskrit scholar but the second definition of bramacharya in the language appears to be: CONTINENCE

:lol:

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

catgirlgenius posted:

on that note, are there any other reposititories of short guided meditations in the vein of Plum Village?

i recently had my first morning meditation session with a coworker recently and i would like to keep the ball rolling, but i have already explored every single meditation there so i know there will be an end to it someday

i mean, guess there's an end to everything? but also not. ya get me

become your own guide! there's nothing wrong with guided meditation, but also, there's nothing you need that you aren't already. the best guide in the universe is the good old inhale, exhale, and you're never without it. miraculous! then if you find more guided meditations that suit you, that's lovely, but not required.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

I misread the original question a bit it looks like, but just sitting quietly together is great, too. I wouldn't worry about reliance in the early goings, the most important thing is just to keep practicing however they're able to. Nice thing about guided meditations is there's usually no shelf life to them, you can reuse them endlessly! Body scanning for example, has plenty of benefits whether they've done it once or a hundred times :yayclod:

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Pollyanna posted:

It’s true that thoughts are impermanent, and their presence comes about not by their immediate existence but by their recurrence and pattern of arousal, but would a change in long term patterns of the same not also be impermanence?

well yeah, bodhicitta as distinguished from vritticitta can only last as long as your consciousness does, after you pass away there's no thought and no pattern of course; but the fact that I'll eventually digest a nourishing and healthy meal just the same as junk food doesn't mean that the quality of my experience during and after ingestion is the same either way. feels like being born into a physical incarnation and squandering the time deluded and suffering is like walking into a michelin star restaurant and ordering chicken nuggets! But to each their own; who am I to say, they may love chicken nuggets in a different way than I do. And after all, the name of the restaurant comprising this karmic dimension is "Delusion and Suffering", so maybe I'm the one confused as to the purpose of the establishment.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Cephas posted:

I'm not sure where this falls on the "three pounds of flax" to "dried poo poo on a stick" spectrum.

turn on your monitor

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Virgil Vox posted:

I think it leads to ignorance. Every skillful or unskilled act is because of your own effort not some "Buddha nature" that was inside you all along. Our skill in practice comes from effort and testing that it's true not some innate ability. It leads to complacency, it's a distraction, you cannot depend on it, there's no "Buddha nature" force that will push the mind towards skillful acts. It cheapens the concept of a Buddha with the idea that beings are "already enlightened", if you want to be awakened you must follow the path. To go to an extreme why would we need a teacher if we already had it inside us? Buddha nature is unnecessary if you're serious about the practice.

i don't think you're wrong or right, I think that the dynamic tension between this perspective and its opposite is what actually gives the concept of buddha-nature its significance in the teachings

what comes to mind is a passage from, I believe the teaching of Foyan, where he asks "tell me - Awakening, is it good or bad"? It's a sort of trap question. From the perspective of a novice or lay practitioner of course it is good. that's why all the practice, all the learning and unlearning, all the GREAT EFFORT!. From the perspective of the teacher, good and bad are categories. You say it cheapens the concept of a Buddha, but in a certain way, that's the point. You can't cheapen the concept of sunlight. These things are universally available to us if we choose. As you said you must follow the path. But the path doesn't pick and choose who it is and isn't available to. It just is.

ram dass in hell fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 29, 2022

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

I don't really have anything further to add but just wanted to say that the discussion the past couple of pages has been really helpful in terms of articulating and clarifying. Thanks you all!

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Bilirubin posted:

I have to get my practice better habitualized. I know its just a matter of "do it" and that I always feel better when I do but follow through on ideas is sort of an issue with me right now. Any suggestions for shifting habit behavior from unproductive to productive?

door number 1, treat some expression of practice as on the same level as brushing your teeth, because it is. not only will you feel better but you won't be going around with bad breath. if you have issues following through with brushing your teeth that's a mental health issue not a practice issue. door number 2, maybe you're not supposed to feel better right now. you may be going through a phase of your practice or season in life where what you need to be doing is asking exactly this type of question of yourself - you wouldn't have asked the question without noticing the pattern, and you wouldn't have noticed the pattern without the opportunity arising to notice it. It's just present karma without innate rightness or wrongness. door number 3, what do you mean by productive?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Nessus posted:

I just ordered this sucker: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1937006115/ while buying a bunch of other deferred resupply points. Looking forward to reviewing the sutras inside. I am curious if Plum Village has put any of this material up online.

The contents seem to be:

• Prajnaparamita Heart Sutra
• Diamond Sutra
• Sutra on Full Awareness of Breathing
• Sutra on The Four Establishments of Mindfulness
• Sutra on The Better Way to Catch A Snake
• Sutra on The Better Way to Live Alone
• Sutra on The Eight Realizations of The Great Beings
• Discourse on Happiness
• Teachings on the Middle Way

Any suggestions on which one is best? :v:

heart sutra ftw, enjoy

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

plato is the one who misunderstood actually

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

well yeah that's how you pass through the gateless gate, everybody knows that

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

i mean bodhidharma gaslighted huike so much that he chopped his own arm off, but huike received the transmission of the teaching, so it's impossible to say if the master/disciple relationship is good or bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Nessus posted:

What happened to the arm?

Legend has it that Bodhidharma initially refused to teach Huike. Huike stood in the snow outside Bodhidharma's cave all night, until the snow reached his waist. In the morning, Bodhidharma asked him why he was there. Huike replied that he wanted a teacher to "open the gate of the elixir of universal compassion to liberate all beings".

Bodhidharma refused, saying, "How can you hope for true religion with little virtue, little wisdom, a shallow heart, and an arrogant mind? It would just be a waste of effort."[6]

Finally, to prove his resolve, Huike cut off his left arm and presented it to the First Patriarch as a token of his sincerity. Bodhidharma then accepted him as a student, and changed his name from Shenguang to Huike, which means, "Wisdom and Capacity".[b]