Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poached Eggs
Feb 29, 2020

Paramemetic posted:

So don't meditate if you have a depression unless you have a good teacher who can tell you when to stop. For Tibetan Buddhists if there is major discouragement like that we generally recommend doing purification practices and focusing on ritual-y stuff rather than doing a lot of meditation if you are prone to those kinds of things; focusing on concrete stuff and not spending so much time "in one's head."

There's some reason here but also some distortion.
Effective meditation should take the practiser away from your described "self-talk".
If taught correctly, by the appropriate healer, which in these senarios should be a psychologist as opposed to a spiritual guide, the process should effectively teach how to stop thinking and instead turn our mind to our physical state and senses.
It will start as small sessions, just simply learning to hear our bodies, use senses, one by one, in a 2 part endeavour to firstly break the cycle of neurotic and or obsessive thought, and secondly teach how to live in the present moment.

Im taking many shortcuts here to keep this short, but feel it's important to disagree constructively, in the hope that any readers suffering from anxiety and depression don't dispell forms of meditation as a option of treatment.

My personal experience was incredibly effective in helping free me from years of crippling PTSD.

I now live as a practising buddhist, though in a very simplistic way, and not dissimiliar to the way that 100's of millions in Asia practice.
A simple life, do good to others and all life daily, do not dwell on either yesterday nor tomorrow. Appreciate what you have in the present moment. (This requires some obedience and motivation to stop for 15-20 mins twice a day to meditate, and reset).
Follow cultural and ceremonial practices according to the community I am a part of.

The core principles of buddhism aren't dissimilar to most other of religions. Culture and society are what define how we live, regardless of whatever an individual might identify themselves as spiritually.

I see many pitfalls for any comfortable westerner attempting to understand:
-all life is suffering,
-suffering is created by desire,
-suffering ceases when desire ceases,
-follow the noble paths....

PE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poached Eggs
Feb 29, 2020

Nessus posted:

I think you have to do a stint as a Fire Cow before those unlock.

This made me laugh. Mooooo.....

Poached Eggs
Feb 29, 2020
Might have overstated when saying "do good to others and all life daily".....anything considered food will suffer.
Buddhism isnt perfect either.