Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Platystemon posted:

I am now imagining Deadwood: Early Modern Edition, where everyone is always calling each other “suckcock”.

Well I am trying to think of more, and "kissass" is one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropecunt_Lane

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Rust Martialis posted:

Well I am trying to think of more, and "kissass" is one.

Asswipe, maybe, also.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Groke posted:

Asswipe, maybe, also.

That'd be "wipeass" - verb first then noun

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Skinflint

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: beaten

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 06:55 on Sep 25, 2022

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"You cocksuck fuckmother"

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

"You cocksuck fuckmother"

"Suckcock fuckmother bitepillow felchdonkey pukelick gropechild"

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I propose we call Norwegians "chopshits" from now on

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1579751827645472768

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

This seems like it would apply to a lot of places on the forums.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zil posted:

This seems like it would apply to a lot of places on the forums.

No it wouldn't

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im bored, so here are some false friends in the Scandinavian languages:

rar: nice (da), rare/excellent (se), rare/strange (no)
flink: friendly (da), skilled/fast (se/no)
fjæs/fjäs/fjes: face, negative (da), face, neutral (se/no)
kone/kona: wife/old woman (da/no), woman, negative (se)
taske/task: bag (da/no), scrotum (se)
vask: sink (da/no/se), but väska in Swedish means "bag"
rolig: calm (da/no), funny (se)

youll still encounter the meanings from the other languages in older texts (say a Danish text that refers to a skilled but not necessarily friendly person as "flink"), ie its basically that the old words have become more specific with time, i guess because of vocabulary expansions and what not (for example, the neutral Danish for face is "ansigt", from Low German Ansicht = visage (lol French)).

i suppose generally you could say Norwegian has retained more old Norse words, Danish has imported more German words, and Swedish more French (not sure about that last one tbh, but they have like byrå = office, from bureau etc, e: tho tbf da has kontor from French comptoir, ida i just feel like Swedish has more French than Danish).

e: thx to NFX for some extras :)

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 08:17 on Dec 3, 2022

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I was bored so I looked up equivalents of "cum" in other languages. Because the thing of English making a noun of the arriving metaphor for orgasm for semen is interesting in way

And (don't quote me) I read that Italian uses the metaphor of joy for semen which makes about as much sense

Fwiw in my signed language it doesn't have the bandwidth for metaphor and would litteraly translate to "penis splurt"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The danish word "fyr" (meaning "guy") has an alternative meaning in Vendelbomål, which is the accent I grew up speaking: "kastreret hankat" (meaning "castrated stud").

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The danish word "fyr" (meaning "guy") has an alternative meaning in Vendelbomål, which is the accent I grew up speaking: "kastreret hankat" (meaning "castrated stud").

wtf som en galt men en kat istf en orne?

anyway,

"stimrende" is the quality of arriving while adorned, imposing, and dignified

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
un·guent
/ˈəNGɡwənt/

noun: unguent; plural noun: unguents
a soft greasy or viscous substance used as ointment or for lubrication.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

i

But it's pronounced "veska", so it's functionally the same word as the norwegian word for bag, "veske"

Some other false friends: Bæsj means poo in norwegian, in swedish it means to drink. "Pule" is a norwegian word for "to gently caress", in Sweden it's a word for cleaning. If you call a woman in Norway for "tøs" you're calling her a slut, in swedish "tös" just means "girl". In Norway "samlag" just means a cooperative, but in Sweden it means "intercourse".

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 11:45 on Dec 3, 2022

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicum

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Alhazred posted:

l
Bæsj means poo in norwegian, in swedish it means to drink.
In Swedish, bajs is poop; bajsar is the act of pooping. I hasn’t heard it used for drinking but it’s my second language.

Also, there’s “korv” which is both a hotdog and can describe the specific shape of a hotdog, so you can refer to a poop log as a bajskorv

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Carthag Tuek posted:

i suppose generally you could say Norwegian has retained more old Norse words, Danish has imported more German words, and Swedish more French (not sure about that last one tbh, but they have like byrå = office, from bureau etc, e: tho tbf da has kontor from French comptoir, ida i just feel like Swedish has more French than Danish).

One reason for a French influence on Swedish might be that the current Swedish royal family, house of Bernadotte, is French in origin.

Descendants of French Marshal Jean Bernadotte (regnal name Karl XIV Johan) who was elected as heir to the childless and aging Swedish king in 1810 and became king in 1818 until his death in 1844.

His wife was Napoleon's ex girlfriend.

His grandson Charles XV was the third Bernadotte king but the first to be born or even raised in Sweden.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

In Swedish, bajs is poop; bajsar is the act of pooping. I hasn’t heard it used for drinking but it’s my second language.

"Bæsj" and "bajs" is pronounced differently. "Bæsj" and "bärs" (which means beer in Sweden) is pronounced the same. So if two swedes visiting Norway said that they were going to take a "bärs" together they would get a lot of funny looks from people around them.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Carthag Tuek posted:

im bored, so here are some false friends in the Scandinavian languages:

rar: nice (da), rare/excellent (se), rare/strange (no)
flink: friendly (da), skilled/fast (se/no)
fjæs/fjäs/fjes: face, negative (da), face, neutral (se/no)
kone/kona: wife/old woman (da/no), woman, negative (se)
taske/task: bag (da/no), scrotum (se)
rolig: calm (da/no), funny (se)

youll still encounter the meanings from the other languages in older texts (say a Danish text that refers to a skilled but not necessarily friendly person as "flink"), ie its basically that the old words have become more specific with time, i guess because of vocabulary expansions and what not (for example, the neutral Danish for face is "ansigt", from Low German Ansicht = visage (lol French)).

Kona has a third meaning in Icelandic: woman (old or young), neutral.
I always wondered about orolig (worried) being the opposite of rolig (fun) in Swedish, but if it means "calm" in the other Nordic languages that makes a lot more sense.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Scrotiform is a word.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scrotiform

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A word request: I saw a word recently that I'd never seen before and thought it was a misspelling or some sort of trendy portmanteau but it had an actual dictionary(.com...) definition and everything. I can't quite remember it. I think it was something to do with a lousy student, or academic or even a writer. I'm familiar with poetaster and tried googling it along those lines and I've also googled "synonym for bad student" but that just comes up with synonyms for bad with student tacked on. I can't remember where I saw it but I'm pretty sure these forums. I have too many threads to find it though

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Milo and POTUS posted:

A word request: I saw a word recently that I'd never seen before and thought it was a misspelling or some sort of trendy portmanteau but it had an actual dictionary(.com...) definition and everything. I can't quite remember it. I think it was something to do with a lousy student, or academic or even a writer. I'm familiar with poetaster and tried googling it along those lines and I've also googled "synonym for bad student" but that just comes up with synonyms for bad with student tacked on. I can't remember where I saw it but I'm pretty sure these forums. I have too many threads to find it though

something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Dundreary ?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
No but that's a cool one. I did find abecedarian independently though. Means what it says

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Was abecedarian the one you were looking for?

I suppose similarly, when public education started to take its current shape in Denmark in the late 1800s, there was a degree you could take after regular school (age 15 ish) called Præliminæreksamen and the graduates of that were called Præliminarist(-er). You could use this exam to apply for eg. university or certain specialized trades.

This in contrast to the graduates from the older latin schools (which are the oldest in the country, dating to circa the 1536 reformation). So there was a distinct difference in class, though technically they gave the same opportunities.

A latin school graduate calling someone a preliminarist would be comparable, ie not in itself negative but contextually absolutely so, I think

Of course, this was also when you would be called a Student(-er) for the rest of your life if you ever went to University, and if you by some mental handicap had live in an insitution, you're an Alumnus.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Feb 3, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

No I would have said that was it. But I did find it and it's a neat word

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Found it yet?

e2a: "out where the crows turn back" is a Danish idiom meaning way out in the sticks

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

Carthag Tuek posted:

e2a: "out where the crows turn back" is a Danish idiom meaning way out in the sticks

Today I learned "way out in the sticks" which I assume means the woods.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Trees are big sticks

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

caspergers posted:

Today I learned "way out in the sticks" which I assume means the woods.

In Australian English we have

"Woup woup"

Which is similar, meaning "far out rural"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Jestery posted:

In Australian English we have

"Woup woup"

Which is similar, meaning "far out rural"

In US English we have whoop whoop, which means fan of ICP (which is p much also far out rural tbqh)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You are a fool. ICP is for inner city idiots. If rural idiots want a rapper from Detroit they can have kid rock

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Carthag Tuek posted:

Found it yet?

Don't forget "out where the pigs wear license plates" or "out where the world is extended with planks".

E: or the ever classic "out on Lars Thin poo poo's field'.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 07:12 on Feb 27, 2023

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
In Michigan I heard the acronym BFE used to refer to some place in the middle of nowhere. I finally asked someone what it meant and they said “butt loving Egypt”, which wasn’t not etymologically satisfying. I’ve since heard “bum gently caress Idaho” used similarly, seems so unfair that the butts always have to go to the middle of nowhere for pleasure.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Nobody wants kid rock

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

flavor.flv posted:

You are a fool. ICP is for inner city idiots. If rural idiots want a rapper from Detroit they can have kid rock

Tell that to my old neighbor’s Juggabago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

In Michigan I heard the acronym BFE used to refer to some place in the middle of nowhere. I finally asked someone what it meant and they said “butt loving Egypt”, which wasn’t not etymologically satisfying. I’ve since heard “bum gently caress Idaho” used similarly, seems so unfair that the butts always have to go to the middle of nowhere for pleasure.

I played the entirety of Serious Sam: BFE unsure what the acronym was about and I kept expecting that eventually I would just get it. When the game ended, it never revealed it, I don't think it ever even said "butt loving Egypt." I tried to look it up online but I thought BFE was specifically a Serious Sam thing and so... well, anyway, eventually I learned it.