Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/Stefaniya/status/1630582870451556360

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Carthag Tuek posted:

Found it yet?

e2a: "out where the crows turn back" is a Danish idiom meaning way out in the sticks

Spanish has "By the fifth pine tree" and "Where Christ lost his sandal" both of them meaning somewehere pretty far away.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

credburn posted:

I played the entirety of Serious Sam: BFE unsure what the acronym was about and I kept expecting that eventually I would just get it. When the game ended, it never revealed it, I don't think it ever even said "butt loving Egypt." I tried to look it up online but I thought BFE was specifically a Serious Sam thing and so... well, anyway, eventually I learned it.

BFE in Serious Sam is "Before First Encounter" because its a prequel to Serious Sam: The First Encounter or am I getting whooshed.

Your Family
Feb 18, 2023

Your brother learned a new word the other day: Triskaidekaphobia, or fear of the number 13. He's afraid of 13 because that's the age he feels he's going to peak as a man and then it will all go to poo poo after like it did for you.

We're only here to un-do the damage you've done to our family name.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Barudak posted:

BFE in Serious Sam is "Before First Encounter" because its a prequel to Serious Sam: The First Encounter or am I getting whooshed.

Huh, well, a quick lazy Google reveals they intentionally left it just "BFE" for entendre reasons which is fun.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021
I accidentally posted this in another thread, and since I can't delete the other I'm just gonna crosspost at the risk of me looking like a jackass

caspergers posted:

Saw some scandinavian goons in the thread, found something recently about the nordic languages. Y'all probably know but it's still really fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MRfVHU9fr0&t=5s
This channel gets guests who speak three separate languages of the same family, presents them with a related one and see if they can decipher it. In this video, we learn that Icelandic hasn't changed all that much from Old Norse compared to the other north germanic languages.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

That is indeed perfect. Well done.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/PublicDomainRev/status/1671122191650357248

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Ställtid - the time you need to prepare yourself when going from one task to another.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

for fucks sake posted:

Ställtid - the time you need to prepare yourself when going from one task to another.

What language is that? I wanna drop that on my boss because that's exactly how I time my smoke breaks at work. "Ok, I finished task A, can I take a 5 minute before I jump into task B?"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Swedish

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
I don’t know the IPA symbols but if you’re going to use it verbally I believe that should be pronounced “stell-teed”.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Here's a fun thing: In America you say that things have gone south if something goes wrong. In Norway we say that things have gone west.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Just saw this word in a PYF derail and drat if I'm not going to add it to my posting vocabulary:

Soul Dentist posted:

While we're anecdyodeling I just want to say that Atlanta drivers are the worst in the US.

It so perfectly sums up how/when a derail subject comes up and everyone needs to holler out "when I was a kid/in my country/my personal experience that doesn't extend to everyone", I love it.

Anecdyodel-ay-heee-hoooo!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Just saw this word in a PYF derail and drat if I'm not going to add it to my posting vocabulary:

It so perfectly sums up how/when a derail subject comes up and everyone needs to holler out "when I was a kid/in my country/my personal experience that doesn't extend to everyone", I love it.

Anecdyodel-ay-heee-hoooo!

When I was a kid we just called it 'sharing anecdotes' rather than making up words. We respected the language enough not to try mess with the dictionary.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Inceltown posted:

When I was a kid we just called it 'sharing anecdotes' rather than making up words. We respected the language enough not to try mess with the dictionary.

For better or worse, the dictionary is descriptive not prescriptive. At least in English.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

It’s going off like a frog in a sock

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Inceltown posted:

Well here in the US, we love our neologisms, sorry you don't get that down in the southern hemisphere, Incelclown :mad:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Another norwgian phrase: "I certainly said butter!" Used when something unexpected happens.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The translated version is fun because it has different meanings depending on which word you emphasize

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

flavor.flv posted:

You are a fool. ICP is for inner city idiots. If rural idiots want a rapper from Detroit they can have kid rock

ICP got their poo poo together and are actively and openly Left-wing, the Juggalos have gone along with them.

The makeup really fucks with Facial Recognition cameras too.

The only Cops at The Gathering are undercover.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Say what you will about their music and especially their earlier lyrics, but as people ICP own p hard and were actually really popular amongst the queer youth I volunteered for in Michigan.

ICP fur suit is a surprisingly wholesome google search

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Edit: wrong thread.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Big Money Rustlaz is a movie I set out to watch to hate but it's incredible and everyone should see it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm an Icelandic speaker I can read and understand a lot of old Norse sources without too much effort.

I can also kinda sorta get the gist of Old English because it's often pretty close.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

My landlord (who lives above me and is a really cool dude) replaced my janky door knob today. The old one had a sticky latch, so we kept coming close to "locking" ourselves out even if the door was unlocked.

I texted him to tell him thanks (he'd done it while I was at work), and that the new knob/lock worked great, and he said:

No problem. Should be slicker than owl poo poo.

Anyone ever heard that one? New one to me.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah it's a not that common these days southern phrase.

https://kswattsbooks.com/2018/02/13...slick.%E2%80%9D

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My landlord (who lives above me and is a really cool dude) replaced my janky door knob today. The old one had a sticky latch, so we kept coming close to "locking" ourselves out even if the door was unlocked.

I texted him to tell him thanks (he'd done it while I was at work), and that the new knob/lock worked great, and he said:

No problem. Should be slicker than owl poo poo.

Anyone ever heard that one? New one to me.

I could have swore I mentioned this on in this thread before but maybe it was somewhere else. But yeah, I've heard it many times and even used it occasionally

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

I could have swore I mentioned this on in this thread before but maybe it was somewhere else. But yeah, I've heard it many times and even used it occasionally

I know it from an old George Carlin routine.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Huh I'll be damned I always figured it for a southern thing. Maybe it's more an "old" thing

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
My mom occasionally used "slicker than snot on a glass doorknob." She's in her 80s, now.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I've always heard slicker than squirrel poo poo.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
"Slicker'n poo poo" is what I grew up with.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I've heard it as "slick as cat poo poo on a linoleum floor" to describe road lines in winter weather.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

"sometimes Y" is the worst copout.. W is always a vowel in english but you dont sing about that for some reason get your poo poo together

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Carthag Tuek posted:

"sometimes Y" is the worst copout.. W is always a vowel in english but you dont sing about that for some reason get your poo poo together

what

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Carthag Tuek posted:

uwu?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm heading out to picnic near the cwm, you can visit me there to talk about it

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Para inglês ver - Literally Portuguese for 'so the English can see (it)'

Metaphorically means something that is done to satisfy another person's requests without actually having done anything.

Depressingly, comes from the time period when Britain was cracking down on the Atlantic slave trade, so Portugal passed a whole bunch of laws showing the British that they were complying with their demands... But then doing nothing to enforce said laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that word begins with a vowel