Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

We do have a weird saying for something that's popular though. Instead of saying "selling like hot cakes" we say "selling like chopped poo poo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Alhazred posted:

We do have a weird saying for something that's popular though. Instead of saying "selling like hot cakes" we say "selling like chopped poo poo".

...why...?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
You want to buy it whole and get your own knife dirty?

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I needed that like a turd in a punch bowl, seriously -

Samovar posted:

...why...?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Samovar posted:

...why...?

There's a theory that it originates from sailors selling guano, but:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Ha, love the new thread title!

As long as we're talkin' poop-based expressions, the best one I ever heard was from my high school Spanish teacher. He spoke several languages (at least English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, and German), so I don't know where he picked this up from.

One day he got understandably frustrated with a class clown who somehow made it to 11th grade Spanish yet still pronounced J's like English J's, "LL"'s like L's instead of Y-sound, and such. Things we all learned in 7th grade. Kid was goofing off and being an rear end, gets called on for a question, and totally fucks it up. Our teacher snapped and yelled:

"I don't know why I even try to teach you anything, trying to teach you is trying to push diarrhea uphill with a rake!"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/qikipedia/status/1242285005168132098

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Looks like I'm on a poop theme, because today's new word for me is gongfermer.

Also spelled gong-farmer, it's a name for the guys who used to clean out cesspools. They were the Tudor version of those septic tank pumping trucks. People pooped in a hole, either public or private, but eventually it got filled up with solids (the liquids leeched out, much like modern septic tanks) or the stench got too horrific, and so you got a gongfermer to come clean it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gong_farmer

...and as a bonus, let's have a #2 word about #2 : ordure. I encountered this one from the above Wikipedia article.

It means poop, or alternately, as Merriam-Webster says, "something that is morally degrading". Eg, "hey, no ordure-posting in my thread!"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Elysiume posted:

I'd never heard the phrase "alligator tears" over "crocodile tears" and when I heard it in You should be sad by Halsey, I googled it to see yeah, some people use it. Then, since I was curious, I looked to see if anyone else did something similar:

At risk of drawing a causative relationship where there isn't one, the song did come out on January 10th (and then the album was released the 17th).

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I learned it some time ago, though I've not yet had a chance to use it:

Oleaginous. It means greasy, oily. Or excessively complimentary, as a way to curry favour. Perfect for use on politicians, lawyers, PR hacks and the like. I love this word because of how it sounds. It just sounds oily the way it rolls off your tongue. Its not a common word but I feel like you could use it in a sentence and people would know exactly what it meant.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
We got a word for words that sound like the thing they're describing (onomatopoeia, which isn't one), but we don't have a word yet for words that feel like the thing they're describing.

E: vvv :hfive:

Your link reprints a passage from a Terry Pratchett book, which I'm certain I must have read at some point

quote:

Glint, glisten, glitter, gleam...

Tiffany thought a lot about words, in the long hours of churning butter. 'Onomatopoeic', she'd discovered in the dictionary, meant words that sounded like the noise of the thing they were describing, like 'cuckoo'. But she thought there should be a word meaning 'a word that sounds like the noise a thing would make if that thing made a noise even though, actually, it doesn't, but would if it did.'

Glint, for example. If light made a noise as it reflected off a distant window, it'd go 'glint!' And the light of tinsel, all those little glints chiming together, would make a noise like 'glitterglitter'. 'Gleam' was a clean, smooth noise from a surface that intended to shine all day. And 'glisten' was the soft, almost greasy sound of something rich and oily.

Phy has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Apr 9, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Phy posted:

We got a word for words that sound like the thing they're describing (onomatopoeia, which isn't one), but we don't have a word yet for words that feel like the thing they're describing.

I did a little digging because I could swear I've heard/read about just such a term. Just for an example off the top of my head, I thought of "ooze"; it's not an onomatopoeia, because there's no sound associated with the movement, say, a slug makes, but "ooze" just... feels and sounds like how a slug moves, if that makes any sense.

Thanks to this article, I found phonestheme, which seems to fit the bill?

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/456303/word-that-sounds-like-its-meaning-not-onomatopoeia-ex-twinkle

I don't think it's the word I had in mind, but hey, it's a new word for me!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I mean this is basically Sapir-Whorf... Do we think that some unfamiliar word sounds like a known thing because our brains are naturally like that and our language has been shaped by it, or because other words have shaped our brain?

See also the Bouba/Kiki effect. If you haven't heard about it before, try assigning the names "bouba" and "kiki" to the below shapes before reading the article:

Bouba/Kiki effect

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bouba is you

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Phy posted:

Japanese definitely has the concept of literal vs. metaphorical onomatopoeia, although I don't remember the relevant terms off the top of my head.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mm yes mmm

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I think hempuli said that is where the baba and Kiki names came from

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I have no idea where they came from but I have boubi for sure

<- Bûbī

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lot of new words in here for everyone to learn.

https://twitter.com/DannyDutch/status/1251774289579294722

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This one isn't knew to me but it almost certainly is to anyone reading this thread.

In Pigeon / Bislama thongs aka flip flops are known as "go forwards"

So if you're ever on a tropical island in the south pacific you know what to call your footwear to sound local.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Makes sense, they're hard to walk backwards in

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Thanks to my volunteering to get my first ever probation in 12 years for this thread's fine poster Inceltown, I learned a new word! (And couldn't post it here until I got off my cat-sixer, which was pretty funny/sad in how it was driving me crazy bc I learned it while still on probation)

Inceltown posted:

You're a genuinely good poster not someone who is just anodyne so hasn't eaten one. I want to cull the weak not the good.

anodyne : "not likely to provoke dissent or offense"

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 12:09 on Apr 23, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Another norwegian expression : "Lobster and canary", which means mixing things that doesn't belong together. The expression comes from rich people ordering lobster and wine from the Canary Islands, these things did not go well together at all but people ordered it because it was the most expensive items on the menu.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Apparently, bloviate is a made up word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloviation

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Carthag Tuek posted:

Psst, all words are...

In my countries native sign language you don't ask

"Are you left or right handed?"

You ask

"Which hand/arm strong?"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jestery posted:

Psst, all words are...

I mean yeah, but relatively recently. I always thought bloviate came from latin.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Carthag Tuek posted:

I mean yeah, but relatively recently. I always thought bloviate came from latin.

True, I had a similar feeling with the word "wherewithal" was like oh right , "the where , the with and the all"

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Inceltown posted:

Lot of new words in here for everyone to learn.

https://twitter.com/DannyDutch/status/1251774289579294722

Can't say I've ever felt that one in my entire adult life.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Flummery, which means empty compliments or nonsense. Learned it from Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novels.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Can't say I've ever felt that one in my entire adult life.

I have. Caring about things is sometimes really exhausting, and it would be handy to be able to turn off the empathy for a while.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Yeah, a desire to do something is not the same as the ability to do something.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

RoboRodent posted:

I have. Caring about things is sometimes really exhausting, and it would be handy to be able to turn off the empathy for a while.

Exactly. There's so many things to care about in the world, an endless queue of them, and it would be tranquil to just switch it off for a while.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Carthag Tuek posted:

And yet perfectly cromulent.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Alhazred posted:

And yet, things also sell like warm wheatbread.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Groke posted:

And yet perfectly cromulent.

I think it's funny that "embiggen" seems like more of a "real word" (all words are made-up), but "cromulent" is the one that's actually entered the lexicon to an extent. The best part is that you can tell what both of them mean by just hearing the word ("cromulent" is a little more context-sensitive, obviously).

mystes
May 31, 2006

beats for junkies posted:

I think it's funny that "embiggen" seems like more of a "real word" (all words are made-up), but "cromulent" is the one that's actually entered the lexicon to an extent. The best part is that you can tell what both of them mean by just hearing the word ("cromulent" is a little more context-sensitive, obviously).
If you had never heard either before and didn't know what they were from, "embiggen" would sound like a plausible but clearly fake word, whereas "cromulent" would sound like a real word you just didn't know.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I think the word we are all wanting ifor made up word is "neologism"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Jestery posted:

I think the word we are all wanting ifor made up word is "neologism"

Thats the word the Wachowski's made up for when Keanu gets good at maths in The Matrix right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

yo-SEM-it-tee, not yos-might
PAY-droh, not pet-ro

Sincerely,
the one who read vinegar as vine-gar. Out loud. Several times. In front of my whole family. No one ever bothered to correct any of my mispronunciations, growing up.

That's because your family thought you were the smart one oh ho ho