Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Stand-offish means to not really tackle something, to be hands off and is not at all related to being aggressive, in-your-face or potentially violent as would be implied by a stand-off.

Also, a whole bunch of Scottish phrases likely came from the Vikings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Alhazred posted:

My favorite weird scandinavain idiom is "there's owls in the moss", which means that something is shady (or "muffens" as a Norwegian would say it). Turns out that the original expression was "there's wolves in the marsh" which makes more sense.

In Sweden it's 'there's a dog buried here'.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Alhazred posted:

We use it in Norway too. But mostly when we point to a specific problem. much like the phrase "the elephant in the room".

Ah. Nu jag förstor.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Alhazred posted:

We do have a weird saying for something that's popular though. Instead of saying "selling like hot cakes" we say "selling like chopped poo poo".

...why...?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Eppy-tome

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Something I learned recently - there's a Japanese phrase 'hyōtan kara koma' which literally translates to 'a horse coming out from a gourd', but is used to mean when something unbelievable actually happens. I feel there should be an English phrase for something similar, but my brain isn't cooperating.

Oh yeah - the saying that the moon is made from green cheese? The cheese in question is 'green' as in it is immature - it's a fresh (and thus very white) cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Para inglês ver - Literally Portuguese for 'so the English can see (it)'

Metaphorically means something that is done to satisfy another person's requests without actually having done anything.

Depressingly, comes from the time period when Britain was cracking down on the Atlantic slave trade, so Portugal passed a whole bunch of laws showing the British that they were complying with their demands... But then doing nothing to enforce said laws.