Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Well, consider my mind blown. That's two new words I've learned today.

Nice posts so far, guys! (Also, thanks for the sticky! :kimchi:)

Not a new one to me, but one of my favorite foreign words is "Aufhebung". Ah, my German ancestors, always got a handy word for something that takes 20 words or more in English.

It's got a seemingly contradictory meaning, in that it can mean "to preserve" or "to abolish". Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, it boils down to "to reinforce the existence of something as it's being destroyed." The example given in a dumbed down way so even a stoned college-age me got it: A hamburger is not really fulfilling it's existence as a hamburger until someone eats it. It's a hamburger-like-thing when it's made, yeah, but it's not REALLY a hamburger until you destroy it by consuming it. Once it's just crumbs on a plate and a chewed up mass in your belly, that's when it truly exists/existed as a hamburger.

(In my mind, same thing applies to those people my parents' age who have a sofa that's wrapped in plastic that no one's allowed to sit on. Ain't really a sofa unless you're willing to sit on it and wear it out, otherwise it's, I dunno, a useless object and not really furniture. Aufhebung that poo poo up, people.)

Mind blown.
What aren't the Germans good at?
That's not a joke, I'm literally asking.

Anyway, it may seem mundane, but I finally figured out the meaning behind the phrase "A bird in hand is better than two in the bush."
I've heard this proverb many times in my 32 years of existence, and never gave it much thought.
But it's true. You have a bird. Ignore the ones you don't.
Simple.

Great thread, I look forward to some excellent etymology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Thanks!

I already knew this at some point, but one I got refreshed on today while reading something:

Volvo is Latin for "I roll". Not because they make cars, but because they started out as a ball-bearing company. Then I guess they just.... rolled with it. :downsrim:

"Volkswagen" is German for "People's Car".