Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaguars!

That is a sweet bush hook or reaping knife Heather Papps, here is my slasher:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

You want Edge? You got Edge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--5tBLiE1Fk

Escape From Noise

Edit:Woops! Wrong thread!

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 21, 2020

Heather Papps

hello friend

i moved recently, and then my niece came to visit. the result of this is i legit don't know where most of my knives are, and i specifically hid some hatchets so my niece wouldn't find them.

i am like a tool squirrel, putting things down and forgetting where they are.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Heather Papps posted:

i moved recently, and then my niece came to visit. the result of this is i legit don't know where most of my knives are, and i specifically hid some hatchets so my niece wouldn't find them.

is....is your niece named lizzie by any chance?

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

is....is your niece named lizzie by any chance?

my sister is weird and named the kid borden?

Finger Prince

Heather Papps posted:

Then, as spring slowly wakens the land from its winter slumber, a tiny axeling pushes through the towels in the linen closet.

Scaly Haylie

Kief Richards posted:

All edge and no point

the fyad cutter

Heather Papps

hello friend

i found my top knife/everyday carry knife AND my hatchets gotta post pix brb

Heather Papps fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 23, 2020

Escape From Noise

Having a real beater folding knife was really useful in the brewery but I definitely can't carry one in Japan so...

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Having a real beater folding knife was really useful in the brewery but I definitely can't carry one in Japan so...

do you think they make folding katanas?

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Heather Papps

hello friend

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

images are huge im sorry its early i am not awake enough yet

knife on the right is my grandfathers old beater knife which i saved from the trash when he died and my dad and his siblings were doing a purge of stuff. i ended up diggin' thru the bags and retrieved some really rad stuff, and then my grandpas sister laughed at me a bunch and said that john wasn't dead after all. it warmed my heart.

the one of the left is a sailors knife, super useful tool knife. the spike is for untangling knots, ostensibly, but it works for a thousand things. i've used it to remove staples from fence posts, pop propolis fused lids from hives, clean a bowl, poke holes for planting seeds, all sortsa stuff. also the long flat blade is designed to slice rope, not do a stab, which i like.

the hatchet up top is a legacy piece, or something. it's at least my great great grandfathers, maybe older. no receipt or registration dates on handmade things.
the bottom one was the first hatchet i made. when mourning said deceased grandfather and smoking in his garage i found an old hatchet head, so i plugged in the grinder and cleaned it up, then got the handle i'd cut a few years ago and seasoned with no project in mind for and made the hatchet. it was fun! i have made another axe and some other little things since.

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

owlhawk911 posted:

Heather Papps posted:

knife on the right is my grandfathers old beater knife which i saved from the trash when he died and my dad and his siblings were doing a purge of stuff. i ended up diggin' thru the bags and retrieved some really rad stuff, and then my grandpas sister laughed at me a bunch and said that john wasn't dead after all. it warmed my heart.

the one of the left is a sailors knife, super useful tool knife. the spike is for untangling knots, ostensibly, but it works for a thousand things. i've used it to remove staples from fence posts, pop propolis fused lids from hives, clean a bowl, poke holes for planting seeds, all sortsa stuff. also the long flat blade is designed to slice rope, not do a stab, which i like.

the hatchet up top is a legacy piece, or something. it's at least my great great grandfathers, maybe older. no receipt or registration dates on handmade things.
the bottom one was the first hatchet i made. when mourning said deceased grandfather and smoking in his garage i found an old hatchet head, so i plugged in the grinder and cleaned it up, then got the handle i'd cut a few years ago and seasoned with no project in mind for and made the hatchet. it was fun! i have made another axe and some other little things since.

Sailor's Knives are super rad as are your hatchets and other squirrels treasures

:h: sig by Prof. Crocodile:h:
:byodame:BYOB spells: Mutually Assured Kindness:byodame:

biosterous

Heather Papps posted:

knives/tools that come with stories are extra rad

owlhawk911 posted:

something something folded a thousand times, i can't come up with an actual joke

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Heather Papps

hello friend

anyone have thoughts on whetstones? i have a few old belgian bluestones i use for important things, but only rarely. the composite stones are fantastic for regular use tho', and i've never understood folk who don't like them. i get that it's neat that there are rocks that exist that work well, but well, we can also use science to make cheaper whetstones.
plus the manufactured stones can have a rough and then fine grit, which is fantastic.

alnilam

HP I've always wondered how do you **securely** stick hatchet head on handle

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

<3 <3 Vanisher

Winifred Madgers

no offense op, but I prefer firefox

Heather Papps

hello friend

alnilam posted:

my technique is to put the head on so that a good chunk of the handle sticks out the top, then i cut it flush.

take that piece of wood and cut little pegs out of it, that will fit into the gaps of the hole in the head and the handle. hammer those pegs in securely, then use a grinder to remove any excess.

then i take drill with a small diameter bit and drill a pilot hole into the head just about the depth of the finishing nails, which i hammer in. then, when i put the stain on the handle i dribbled a bunch of extra into any remaining gaps.

the reality tho' is if you work with any tool that goes on a handle long enough you are going to experience failure of the tool. it's rare someone who knows how to split wood looses a head and hurts someone, but someone who has never had that experience won't ever expect it and may act unsafely, especially with the polyhandle axes/hatches that are so common now.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

alnilam posted:

Magic of wedges

Heather Papps posted:

anyone have thoughts on whetstones? i have a few old belgian bluestones i use for important things, but only rarely. the composite stones are fantastic for regular use tho', and i've never understood folk who don't like them. i get that it's neat that there are rocks that exist that work well, but well, we can also use science to make cheaper whetstones.
plus the manufactured stones can have a rough and then fine grit, which is fantastic.
I like the composite carborundum or w/e coarse oilstones and for the price they are fantastic, but I usually finish things up on a knife with a hard/black Arkansas and then a nice buff with green compound for that nice super sharp mirror edge. Axes don’t need all that polishing, but. It is such a pleasure to use a really good sharp axe/hatchet that shoots big chonks out of a tree.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

touching

tradjik

knives are bad at cutting thingd I'm edgy

ty heather papps u da bes

Escape From Noise

Stayed in tonight mostly...

...TO SHARPEN MY KNIVES!:unsmigghh:

Heather Papps

hello friend

sharpening blades is such a meditative process. i love it.

i once made a joke around a campfire about not respecting a man with a beard who can't sharpen a blade, then looked around and realized every male id'd folk there but me had a beard, and absolutely no idea how to sharpen a blade.

it was a joke but sometimes what is dull to me is sharp to someone else.

Queen-Of-Hearts

I could hug you for the payoff in that post

Finger Prince

You ever watch that YouTube guy in Japan who makes knives out of weird poo poo and sharpens them to a razor finish? I could watch that guy for hours. I have watched that guy for hours.

Kiwami japan
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg3qsVzHeUt5_cPpcRtoaJQ

Queen-Of-Hearts

I watched him make a knife out of milk. I still don't know how to feel about it.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

I watched him make a knife out of milk. I still don't know how to feel about it.

Smoke knife still got me struggling

Escape From Noise

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Smoke knife still got me struggling

Hey hey hey heeeeeeeeyay hey

Smoke knife every day

Queen-Of-Hearts

What kind of smoke are we talking here

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
soot

Finger Prince

This one is good because he doesn't just make a knife out of chocolate, he makes the chocolate.

https://youtu.be/D2XNVFlh-DU

This is my knew knife:

I've been wanting a good veggie knife for a while, with a flat blade for chopping. I already have a decent western style chefs knife for general use. When I was visiting my sister back in December, she told me of this blacksmith one of her coworkers took her to where they make all kinds of knives and especially the special implements for bamboo crafting. This was exactly the knife I'd been looking for. It wasn't really expensive either, something like ~$50! I love this knife.
Here is some of the stuff I cut up with it when I got it home.

I've cut slices so thin, I couldn't even see them!

biosterous

hot dang, those are some thin cuts! congrats on your new rad knife!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

alnilam

Finger Prince posted:

This one is good because he doesn't just make a knife out of chocolate, he makes the chocolate.

This is my knew knife:

I've been wanting a good veggie knife for a while, with a flat blade for chopping. I already have a decent western style chefs knife for general use. When I was visiting my sister back in December, she told me of this blacksmith one of her coworkers took her to where they make all kinds of knives and especially the special implements for bamboo crafting. This was exactly the knife I'd been looking for. It wasn't really expensive either, something like ~$50! I love this knife.

Knife to meet you

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

Finger Prince posted:

This is my knew knife:

thats a great knife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

Finger Prince posted:

drat

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant