Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Another +1 for Kuching here. It's a really cool place - there's loads to do in the city and nearby, but it's also a great place to use as a base to check out places like the Gunung Mulu National Park if you're interested in hiking but not interested in climbing Mt Kinabalu.

Re: Taiwan, I've only been once, ten years ago. I spent a fortnight in Taipei, Taichung, Tainan, and Kaosiung with trips to Taroko Gorge, Sun Moon Lake, etc. You could also spend a week or more exploring Taipei and surrounds without getting bored. I can't wait to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Heh, in the ten years since I've been to Taiwan I think I've only met a handful of other Australians who have been. I loved the place so much that I seriously considered spending a year or two there studying but wasn't able to pull it off.

It's got the perfect mixture of ultra-modern cities and spectacularly gorgeous nature, and it's incredibly friendly and easy to explore. I like the bit how it's theoretically possible to go snowboarding in the morning, surfing in the afternoon, and scuba diving later in the day. I wasn't there at the right time of year to try that theory out, but... how cool is that?

And the food is fantastic.. but Beer Taiwan is the only beer I've ever tried where the hangover happens as you're drinking the third beer, not the next day after a dozen. That's probably the worst thing about the place.