Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Ive been working as an educational interpreter for nearly a decade( I help Deaf students understand their teacher and provide a cultural bridge) in special ed units in primary and secondary schools

My state's education system officially views the Deaf as a cultural group that doesn't automatically make you "special" beyond your lack of hearing, mental impairment is at time comorbid but not assumed. This leads to some interesting interactions.

I've had the whole gamut of students who are just deaf and have no other impairments, their skills sometimes eclipsing my own in some areas

There are teachers that totally get it and are able to differentiatir teaching style and always do their best to have subtitles and understand how to use an interpreter

On the other hand I've had some teachers who refused to have a Deaf student enter their class as it may be contagious

Quite often the Deaf perspective hit some interesting points aswell, I worked with a 12 yr old who could barely spell his own name but had an encyclopaedic knowledge of all of pop culture and had an intuitive understanding of film language. And often used incredibly rapidly and well produced stop motion animation to get his points across when signed communication failed

I really feel honoured at times to be part of a constantly evolving culture and to be making a difference in education of this incredibly marginalised and oppressed group that has existed alongside ,for as long as hearing people have

On the other hand, I was a special ed kid myself for behavioural issues and was in remedial English and math. I would have stayed in it my entire schooling except I participated in a country wide mandatory English test and I achieved a high distinction for my age level. My father received the results and confirmed with me that I was still in special english class and how I felt about it.

The next day he stormed the principal's office and asked him to explain why I was in special education English, and I was shifted within the week and math within the month.

My takeaway from my experience is that a lot of special education comes from a perspective of maintenance at a lower level rather than raising kids out of it when they need assistance. Special education is a very blanket term that is incredibly faceted and perspectives inside it are as often right as they are terribly wrong, it sucks.

Jestery fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

CassandraZara posted:

I have two boys with IEPs now and our school is great. I do worry about how much they’re being pandered to though. Last year, my older son could just leave the classroom anytime he wanted to go to the ILC (I think this is Individual Learning Center or something, but it’s the special ed classroom), so he just did it whenever he had something hard he had to do, at least once a day. It sounded a little bit like MARTIN from Mr. Bean’s rant on page one, haha. I put a stop to that this year but he still goes there twice a week for therapy stuff, at scheduled times.

A school I have worked at allowed students to apply for a "leave pass" and they were quite freely given

This entitled them to leave the class at any time they wanted, however they had to let their teacher know, and sign in at the special ed work room and write a 100 to 200 word report explaining why they chose to leave and then they were given not quite free time. But time where they had to be bettering themselves in some way. Reading a book, catching up on assessments, actual art (not just doodling)

It gave certain students a safety valve and meant that they wouldn't explode and yell in class, while also allowing case managers to catch any patterns that caused stress to the student

Several poo poo teachers were discovered that way...