Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Which leads luddite doctors and nurses to clutch their faxing pearls because HIPAA SECURITY

its more that they don't want to spend the time to enforce TLS on their email when the faxing works right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

can u imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth lol

the only people who would be mad would be Linux people like ESR or RMS because they don't believe in CAs or whatever dumb Linux poo poo.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

the only people who would be mad would be Linux people like ESR or RMS because they don't believe in CAs or whatever dumb Linux poo poo.

this isn't actually true but is on-brand

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shaggar posted:

its more that they don't want to spend the time to enforce TLS on their email when the faxing works right now.

What Healthcare org do you work for where the practitioners know what TLS is? Faxing is how they've always done it and ITS SECURE, IT GUY so faxing is how they'll do it till the heat death of the universe

Healthcare will single handedly keep faxing alive

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

this isn't actually true but is on-brand

of course it is. they would be all mad that its not PGP with everyone manually sharing their public keys.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What Healthcare org do you work for where the practitioners know what TLS is? Faxing is how they've always done it and ITS SECURE, IT GUY so faxing is how they'll do it till the heat death of the universe

Healthcare will single handedly keep faxing alive

most of them don't know what TLS is, they just know it would allow them to use email instead of faxes but also that their IT staff has told them it will take more than 5 minutes. security does not remotely factor into it. its 100% about convenience and short term cost.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
doctors and nurses do not care even a little bit about HIPAA or PHI in general, they care about what makes their job easier. lots of them send PHI via SMS.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Or just leave it laying around the clinic.

so many physical breaches :cripes:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah that's the other thing about faxes. some of them want faxes because they want a ~*HaRdCoPy*~ for their records so you fax them stuff when they're closed and it just sits on the machine in the open until someone comes in and remembers to check the machine.

one of the upsides of provider org consolidation is that kind of thing is starting to go away as everyone gets onboarded onto EMRs

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

duz posted:

soldiers/contractors are still uploading that info publicly https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/

lol so they do

you'd think they would crack down on it, at least in, say, the middle east

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
faxes are great because I can draw a picture of a butt and fax it to my friend dave at work and then call him and tell him I sent him a fax and he has to go to the fax machine and pick up the picture of the butt that's been sitting there for an hour where everyone can see it and it's got "HEY DAVE CHECK OUT THIS rear end" written on it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rotor posted:

faxes are great because I can draw a picture of a butt and fax it to my friend dave at work and then call him and tell him I sent him a fax and he has to go to the fax machine and pick up the picture of the butt that's been sitting there for an hour where everyone can see it and it's got "HEY DAVE CHECK OUT THIS rear end" written on it

do this but also write your complete medical history on it and instruct him to fold it into a paper airplane

congrats you’re now a doctor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious posted:

the printers at work scan and email poo poo for us?? works just like a fax except you put an email address instead of a phone number

and then the loser at the other end has to go out of their way and hit print just so they can read it and then there’s also an awful copy of it on the email server wasting precious megabytes

better isn’t always better. sometimes less is more

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
they're gonna need to scan it anyway unless they're not keeping digital copies of their poo poo, in which case: lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
John Romero's about to make you his bitch

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

do this but also write your complete medical history on it and instruct him to fold it into a paper airplane

congrats you’re now a doctor

also, for maximum authenticity, send it to the wrong number a couple times first

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
faxes send poo poo to a place

when I fax something over the road to the medical centre it goes over the road and doesn’t end up in a middle eastern server

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shaggar posted:

also, for maximum authenticity, send it to the wrong number a couple times first

our medical records group was printing medical records for requests from other healthcare organizations as packets they would fax over, then scanning those packets back into the EHR wholesale and not deleting the originals. each request for each patient had this happen. every time

holy gently caress it makes me mad just typing that.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
paper ain’t gonna use itself

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
secretly the paper industry lobbies the govt to keep the healthcare industry pumping at current efficient a

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

rotor posted:

you had me at faxes are great

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

frontpage extensions

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

voxels

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

that thing that scanned bar codes in magazine ads that was shaped like a cat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CUECAT

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yeah that. never forget.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

queueqat

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

cue cat was a good idea that prayed on how goddamn lazy people are.
the problem is people are lazier than they thought and won't bother bothering with it vs. typing poo poo in or google.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

pictures of people scanning CueCat codes

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

i love that they've kept up that joke for 8 years

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

VRML

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

vrml was cool and webgl or whatever really doesn't cover the same bases. x3d seems to be dead.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the hotsauce plugin for Netscape

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

all of the defunct search engines

altavista (remember astalavista.box.sk for all your virus getting needs?)

excite

hotbot

ask Jeeves

gopher (the protocol)

lycos

there were so many people in the search game and then google just murdered all of them

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

and then the meta search engines on top of those like dogpile and idk a couple others

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
when i was a kid i got given a book on gopher, long after gopher was dead and buried by google

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

there were so many people in the search game and then google just murdered all of them

good because they all loving sucked

google was literally the first search engine that wasnt a piece of poo poo

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

good because they all loving sucked

google was literally the first search engine that wasnt a piece of poo poo

how dare u besmirch the glory that was altavista with boolean operators

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just remembered Lenovo's 27" windows 8 tablet