Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i thought curiousmarc was from france originally, not french-speaking canada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tankakern posted:

i thought curiousmarc was from france originally, not french-speaking canada?

The sentences are referring to two different people. Marc did it once and realized his stupid-rear end mistake.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ah

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Canadian goober

Linus?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

no hes from finland

... like jerry. coincidence? :thunk:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

no hes from finland

... like jerry. coincidence? :thunk:

no, the other Linus

mystes
May 31, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

no, the other Linus
I think Linus Van Pelt is from the US

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mystes posted:

I think Linus Van Pelt is from the US

the other, other Linus?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

the one with the lovely YouTube media company

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i dont think they had youtube in the first century AD

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

:argh:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i think they're talking about the famous chemist

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:evilbuddy:

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Linus Tech Frosted Tips

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Curious Marc killed a decades-old chip he was showing in one of his videos by, you know, touching it.

And that one Canadian goober keeps finding dead RAM because he keeps loving touching the chips. "This was OK before [I touched it] but now it's bad?!?!?!?!?!?"

(edited for clarity)

just reminded of the techtv clip of the guy shattering an old rear end phonograph cylinder with his gorilla grip

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kitfox88 posted:

just reminded of the techtv clip of the guy shattering an old rear end phonograph cylinder with his gorilla grip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh2OCBZpzZ8&t=335s

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kitfox88 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnsizkVjGm8

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i can't handle this

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

that reminds me that techtv (maybe into the g4 days?) actually had shows on modding tivos and og xboxes

a time when they actually had shows about tech, and didn't just show reruns of COPS 20 hours a day (stoner/unemployed tv lol)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I remember seeing an episode of screensavers on techtv once that was explaining 1D/2D/3D graphics. the only g4 stuff I remember at all was being the tv equivalent of a GameStop in-store video ad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

i can't handle this

his hands are r eally wobbly and he was probably over squeezing to compensate. shoulda got the assistant to hold it.

Branch Nvidian posted:

I remember seeing an episode of screensavers on techtv once that was explaining 1D/2D/3D graphics.

what is 1D graphics? a strip of LEDs?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i hate the 8 bit guy so much

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Wild EEPROM posted:

i hate the 8 bit guy so much

afaik that was the start of his cancellation, the followup was ar15-in-subway.jpg

i'm sure a few ppl still follow but

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

lol I stopped following him wayyyyy before that, never heard of him getting cancelled either.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

haha what dimebag darrell was his cousin?!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i mean idk about Cancelled cancelled but there was an era where his videos were shared around quite frequently in nerd and retro circles, and that time is over it seems

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean idk about Cancelled cancelled but there was an era where his videos were shared around quite frequently in nerd and retro circles, and that time is over it seems

due to falling revenue from his videos he had to go get a job in an arcade where he will presumably dremel open cabinets and jam paperclips into power supplies.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Roosevelt posted:

i can't handle this

someone said it was a bit they did the last time it came up

im not gonna try to verify that

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

pain

Roosevelt posted:

i can't handle this

i still can't actually watch it due to extreme... what's that german term, it's like schadenfreud but it makes you feel bad instead of happy. like, over-empathy. if i was in his shoes i'd probably have tried to hang myself backstage the moment filming stopped.

Carthag Tuek posted:

fremdschämen, feeling shame for a stranger

That's it, thanks.

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 12, 2024

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Kitfox88 posted:

i still can't actually watch it due to extreme... what's that german term, it's like schadenfreud but it makes you feel bad instead of happy. like, over-empathy. if i was in his shoes i'd probably have tried to hang myself backstage the moment filming stopped.

fremdschämen, feeling shame for a stranger

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

8-bit guy was always deeply uncharismatic which is also not great if you put yourself on camera

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

he does still get invited to speak at retro computing events and treated like an authority by other youtubers though, which probably just shows how little anyone watches his stuff but they remember he's one of them

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQbXJefoHy8

lol tho

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

njsykora posted:

he does still get invited to speak at retro computing events and treated like an authority by other youtubers though, which probably just shows how little anyone watches his stuff but they remember he's one of them

the stuff he actually knows about he seems to know very well. shoulda stuck to that probably.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I tried watching a Linus tech tips that was about an insane quad sli motherboard and wow that guy is terrible

I've never seen the 8 bit guy but he looks like he's gonna keep someone in that basement

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

8-bit guy was always deeply uncharismatic which is also not great if you put yourself on camera

my biggest gripe with 8-bit guy is that the interior in his new studio shack is god-awful

the color palette used makes you seem like you're in a hospital in the early 90s, and everyone looks sick

"oh my god i didn't know he had late stage lymphoma" "oh never mind he's just filming in his shack again"

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

what is 1D graphics? a strip of LEDs?

if I’m remembering correctly they described it as two blocks that could only move left and right on the screen. not exactly accurate since the blocks themselves had two dimensions, but they seemed to be explaining it in terms of movement since 2D was defined as having vertical movement as well and 3D having movement on the z-axis. this would have been back in like 1998 or 1999

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Branch Nvidian posted:

if I’m remembering correctly they described it as two blocks that could only move left and right on the screen. not exactly accurate since the blocks themselves had two dimensions, but they seemed to be explaining it in terms of movement since 2D was defined as having vertical movement as well and 3D having movement on the z-axis. this would have been back in like 1998 or 1999

kind of a classic problem that pixels don't have dimensions but need to one way or another be realized in a form that has dimensions, so can't really fault them on that

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

3D Megadoodoo posted:

all he ever really did was clean and retrobrite things, and read out some basic wikipedia-level facts. and once you've seen one of his videos you've basically seen them all

the commander X16 thing could have been interesting if you followed the design and development, but he just mentioned it once and then months later it appeared fully formed and I have no idea how much of it was his idea or he's just attached himself to a thing someone else was already making

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Branch Nvidian posted:

dad brought home a used 4-game atari system with the knob paddles when i was a little one. pong etc.

my brother and i were too young to be able to play pong (always too fast/slow to bounce the ball back), but there was a squash game where the paddles are on the same side so we just didnt serve the ball at all & had fun chasing each other up and down

which i think is the only true 1D game, since we didnt use the 2nd dimension that was provided