Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Steve Gibson and his pure C just popped into my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

lol steve gibson and his campaign against raw socket support in Windows XP

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Pzxmq-JLM

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

data link ruled but probably doesn’t work with lcd monitors these days :smith:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
that one version of the raspberry pi with the chip that was unintentionally photosensitive, so the pi would reboot if there was bright light

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

that one version of the raspberry pi with the chip that was unintentionally photosensitive, so the pi would reboot if there was bright light

lol iirc there was a really good thread title around here for a while referring to that

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Beve Stuscemi posted:

data link ruled but probably doesn’t work with lcd monitors these days :smith:
I have probably too many of these watches...

Doesn't work with LCDs, but: https://github.com/synthead/timex-datalink-arduino

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Jonny 290 posted:

lol iirc there was a really good thread title around here for a while referring to that

no flash photography, please

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that's the one

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Open your phone for me ;-*

drat I want this as a cyberpunk setting. Like a mix of Equilibrium/UltraViolet dystopia and late 90s/early 2000s blindingly bright tech ad futurism.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

shackleford posted:

lol steve gibson and his campaign against raw socket support in Windows XP

lol blast from the past. Was that in SP1 or 2?

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Hed posted:

lol blast from the past. Was that in SP1 or 2?

iirc the NT line of OSes had raw sockets support but the 9x line didn't, so when XP SP0 shipped it was the first windows consumer OS with raw sockets. then they added some additional restrictions on raw sockets in XP SP2

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
when intel made a cpu for smart phones

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

that there was a dragonball processor in pdas

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

dang I miss the wild battery life pdas got from AAAs. Even with the indigo light, my handspring would last for ages

blink polyfill
Feb 29, 2020

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Curious Marc killed a decades-old chip he was showing in one of his videos by, you know, touching it.

And that one Canadian goober keeps finding dead RAM because he keeps loving touching the chips. "This was OK before [I touched it] but now it's bad?!?!?!?!?!?"

(edited for clarity)

cm also used to hand out big titty underage anime girl images that his hp plotter would crap out at various retro computing events

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

:rolleyes:

what is your beef with curiousmarc, he must be one of the most innocent tech youtubers there is

some people just wants to stomp on everything

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I open on average 10 or 15 computers a day every day, sometimes much more depending on what’s going on.

I’ve never killed a computer with static.

I get the place of static wrist straps, especially in high buck enterprise racks, but for the most part they aren’t needed

I open dead computers every day to fix them, sometimes air gunning their ICs off, holding them in my hands, digging new ones out of a plastic bin and pette catte all while not wearing a wrist strap. Not shocking!

If it were a piece of test gear though, or like an 80's device, totally strapping up. With studio or live gear like synths, amps, mixing boards, pro stuff that has utterly unique ICs.... Oh god with. (And lots of notes and photos.)

mystes
May 31, 2006

down1nit posted:

I open dead computers every day to fix them, sometimes air gunning their ICs off, holding them in my hands, digging new ones out of a plastic bin and pette catte all while not wearing a wrist strap. Not shocking!
Well I would hope not

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Wild EEPROM posted:

when intel made a gpu

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Tankakern posted:

one of the most innocent tech youtubers there is

Speaking of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jvLpFtFcWw

:3:

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
MGS4 only installing a single chapter at any one time to the PS3's hard drive. Eventually it was patched so the whole game was installed on the drive, but originally when you completed one chapter the game would make you wait while it uninstalled the old chapter and installed the new one. Just sitting on a loading screen for 5-10 minutes watching Old Snake make smoking look cool in front of a no smoking sign. Wild to think back to the start of that generation and remember that actually installing the game to the hard drive was not common the first few years.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Pulcinella posted:

MGS4 only installing a single chapter at any one time to the PS3's hard drive. Eventually it was patched so the whole game was installed on the drive, but originally when you completed one chapter the game would make you wait while it uninstalled the old chapter and installed the new one. Just sitting on a loading screen for 5-10 minutes watching Old Snake make smoking look cool in front of a no smoking sign. Wild to think back to the start of that generation and remember that actually installing the game to the hard drive was not common the first few years.

switching discs in diablo 2 to watch the cinematics

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The og C&C coming with two CDs, one for each campaign, expressly so that you could let a friend use one and you could do multiplayer.

Sorry that's awesome tech poo poo I'm remembering

Apr 19, 2024
imgur still fails to support webp

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

Volmarias posted:

The og C&C coming with two CDs, one for each campaign, expressly so that you could let a friend use one and you could do multiplayer.

Sorry that's awesome tech poo poo I'm remembering

starcraft spawn installs too that poo poo ruled

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

041924 posted:

imgur still fails to support webp

does the guy who created the format still pick fights with people who talk poo poo about it on twitter?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

njsykora posted:

does the guy who created the format still pick fights with people who talk poo poo about it on twitter?

lol what a loving loser.

webp is rear end and i hate it

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

webp is the image format equivalent of donald trump farting in a courtroom whilst napping

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
mng

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

lol what a loving loser.

:hmmyes: and I hate google poisoning image results with recompressed versions of sensible formats

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fng = farting new graphics

tremendous graphics, from the standpoint of monitors, on or off. some like them on i like them off. very, the art of it, its :yooge: fartz

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

defmacro posted:

starcraft spawn installs too that poo poo ruled

yeah, but the dual cd format of c&c let both people play singleplayer as well as multi, which was extremely economical

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

when people were complaining about powerbooks roasting their balls and apple's response was "actually its a notebook computer not a laptop computer"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i don't remember the details, idk if it got as far as lawsuits or if it was just annoyed blog posts

also, blogs

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fwiw my iPhone 13 isnt hot enough for my balls

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

sorry, 12 mini apparently. but its only lukewarm

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Progressive JPEG posted:

when people were complaining about powerbooks roasting their balls and apple's response was "actually its a notebook computer not a laptop computer"

along those lines:

Apple’s manufacturing instructions calling for an entire tube of thermal paste on the CPU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pendragon posted:

along those lines:

Apple’s manufacturing instructions calling for an entire tube of thermal paste on the CPU

just breakin balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pendragon posted:

along those lines:

Carthag Tuek posted:

just breakin ball grid arrays